TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Caffeine Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t21790-caffeine-addiction/)

Elizabeth August 3rd 2009 02:44 AM

Caffeine Addiction

After going to the dentist and finding that the enamel on my teeth has become decreased, I have decided to cut back on coffee and monsters.
I understand I'm addicted to caffeine but it has always been 'needed'. I'm limiting myself to a monster and starbucks each once a week. I'm not sure how long it will last :pbut I'll give it a shot. The only problem is, while I love the focus I get from monsters, I also enjoy the taste. Is there any drink that taste close to a monster? Who else here is a caffeine addict? I know you're out there... :rolleyes:

ridiculousness August 3rd 2009 05:06 AM

Re: Caffeine Addiction

Ohh I feel your pain. When I was bleaching my teeth I resisted soda/caffiene drinks weeks. It sucked! But just keep drinking water, it helps you take your mind of being thirsty, sometimes I go straight to soda if Im thirsty D:
And...the taste of Monster is hard to match...maybe a concentrated juice for that tangy taste? It's hard to beat without carbonation though lol :P

20 Dollar Nose Bleed August 3rd 2009 05:39 PM

Caffeine addict here. Although i'm not as bad as I used to be. I used to live on 8+ cups of coffee a day (each cup with TWO scoops of coffee in them, one just wasnt enough) along with two cans of Relentless along side those. Now I have two red bulls a day or sometimes one redbull and one coffee (yes, still a double scoop) heh.

Maybe try deviding the Monster? Pour it out into 3 different bottles and have it 3 times a week...you'd still only be having ONE monster but you'd make it last.

CherriesBlossom August 4th 2009 09:18 PM

oh fellow addicts i see :p
i love monster and drink soda literally every second.
v.v i have to stop that.

i heard they were discontinuing moster soon...

there isnt anything really like monster, i know ive looked.

try carbonated tyropical juice or water.

if you find anything let me know (:

Lizzie August 4th 2009 09:50 PM

I’m pretty sure everyone named Elizabeth has a caffeine addiction. I know I sure do! But I think you are going to find out that cutting yourself off to two things of caffeine a week is going to be too hard for you to do. Have you ever had a caffeine headache? They are the worst! Maybe try drinking a cup of coffee each morning; that will be easier to do then going straight to one cup a week. And try not to drink monsters, those things can give you heart attacks, and I would prefer you not to have a heart attack. : )
I know myself, and I only allow myself one cup of coffee in the morning (homemade because Starbucks is too expensive for an addict) and then one can of Coke in the afternoon. No more, sometimes less. And way better for you than a Monster. Just think about it. And if you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me anytime.

noise94 August 5th 2009 04:02 PM

Oh dear, I'm with you. I am insanely addicted to caffeine- my usual source is Coke or Pepsi. My doctor tells me off every single time I go to him! I have been trying to cut down also, it's so hard. Caffeine headaches are killers, it's definitely not easy to cut down on caffeine.

Do it slowly, definitely. Instead of a Monster, maybe having something that has less caffeine in it? I've never had one, so I honestly don't know what they taste like or what tastes like them. But I know they ain't any good for you. :p

Don't try to cut it down crazy fast, you've been having loads of caffeine for ages now, having less and less every day is better than trying to cut it out strictly right now. It might be way too much of a shock to your body to just have so little caffeine.

Anyway, good luck! You're stronger than I am, that's for sure. :p

Jamie August 5th 2009 06:46 PM

I too have severe issues with caffiene- generally I try and swap Coffee for Tea, which has slightly less caffiene in to kinda loosen it's grip on me.

*Faith* August 5th 2009 07:27 PM

Haha, I don't have that much of an addiction but at first like Jamie said you could switch from coffee to tea or maybe low the amount of cups you drink a day or have decaff?

P.s What's a Monster?o.O

Elizabeth August 6th 2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

P.s What's a Monster?o.O
You never had a Monster! You poor, poor person!!! I feel so sorry for you. lol! :D

I've being cutting back, and I now agree slowly is better. :p
I've been drinking sprite with no caffeine, but it still doesn't match the taste of a monster. I've broken my monster up into three sections, and I've drank one so far. Anyway, thanks for your advice and I'll love more!

KoKoEm August 7th 2009 05:42 PM

Yeah, I definitely have a caffeine addiction... I'm not addicted to energy drinks, though Monsters are amazing, but I'm slightly addicted to diet coke and raspberry iced tea. >.< Oh and if I don't have coffee for a week, I get the worst headaches. But it's not as bad as some people's caffeine addictions. I definitely used to be worse, having to have lots of diet coke in one day to prevent a headache. Ends up that my headaches aren't caused by caffeine, but caffeine was making some of them worse. >.<
I think that caffeine addictions are just something common in teens. It just happens. Teens want to stay up late and do stuff and then they don't get enough sleep and are exhausted and "need" the caffeine to get through the day.

Elizabeth August 8th 2009 04:51 AM

So today I decided to drink the other two thirds of my monster. Then I opened another one. Haha. I fail. Monsters are so good though. I'm going to be spending the night at a friend's house memorizing the periodic table of elements so I have a feeling that I will be drinking a lot of caffeine.
On the up side, I haven’t had a lot of coffee. >.<

20 Dollar Nose Bleed August 8th 2009 02:40 PM

Heh =|
I know how you feel, it's so hard to resist. I've been trying to cut back abit more but i'm working a night shift tonight (8pm til 8am) and we're not allowed to sleep at work. BOO! I think ive become WAYYY to dependant on caffiene at work.
What happens if one day I run out of energy drinks or coffee at home before work?
I'd freak, lol.
Wait...I already ran out of energy drinks.

u_u;'

PickingUpThePieces August 10th 2009 12:12 AM

Caffeine is a killer. haha, I believe i;m addicted to diet coke lol.
I tried not drinking for like a week, it was so hard! I was crabby for days.
It's realy good that you're trying to take the responsible road and cut back :]
Good luck!

Stephen August 10th 2009 01:50 AM

I drink over 5 cokes a day, and a low cal monster every week or 2 every week.
I AM addicted to them.
Its true.
My doctor said it is a addiction.

cuttingsolitude August 21st 2009 05:03 AM

caffeine addiction is actually one of the easiest to break, just simply make it through 9 days (this is the outlier) and it is believed the body will be caffeine free and unaddicted