TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
relapse Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brendan

Energy drinks? - February 13th 2010, 10:15 PM

Hey,

So this isn't a big issue, but I'm addicted to energy drinks.. Like super addicted. I have I guess you could say pains, when I don't have them, I can get depressed and I'll shake, be super tired and go into 24 hr + hibernation kind of things.

Anyway,
Anyone got thoughts?

Stay positive and all else will fall into place!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Energy drinks? - February 13th 2010, 10:33 PM

There is a large amount of caffeine in energy drinks, and caffeine is addictive. Caffeine also has withdrawal (hence your pains, being tired, depressed mood, etc..).
The only thing I could think of is to stop drinking energy drinks altogether and just toughen up during the withdrawal process. Maybe drink coffee instead for a bit to help make it more bearable, seeing as coffee has significantly less caffeine than energy drinks.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Energy drinks? - February 13th 2010, 11:11 PM

yes it'll be the caffeine withdrawal that'll be giving you the headaches. maybe try drinking less of them?. you don't need to cut them out of your diet alltogether, but drinking less of them will definitely be healthier for you. obviously there is the option of just stopping drinking them completely.. and really, it's not all that hard. i don't think the odd energy drink now and again is a problem, but you shouldn't really be reliant on them.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
relapse Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Energy drinks? - February 14th 2010, 12:08 AM

It's so hard to not drink them though, I drink 2-10 cans a day to get me through the day. Without them I wouldn't last more then 2 classes at school, especially gym. Because now when I don't take them, I'm completely screwed. I don't know what to do, and I think it's affecting my brain too a bit.. I notice when I'm on them I'm a lot more productive, then when I don't drink them my mind kinda slows the hell down and doesn't wanna pop out any 'smartz'.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Energy drinks? - February 14th 2010, 01:06 AM

Well this sounds to me as if you’re becoming diabetic. Introducing so much sugar in to your body isn’t good for ones health. You have to understand that this is actually a big deal.

Believe it or not energy drinks are horrible for you they have way to much sugar and caffeine it’s hard for the body to deal with it all. Not to mention you drink them everyday! I strongly advise you to seek medical help, get your blood pressure checked and talk with your doctor about this issue.

Only if you knew how serious this matter really is.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
relapse Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Energy drinks? - February 14th 2010, 01:14 AM

Diabetic? The funny thing is there is the odd day which I won't eat anything, just have one Red Bull in the morning and the whole day I'm happy and fine, not even hungry.

I drink a lot of Pepsi too, 20 cans a day maybe.

Yeah I might talk to the doctor... It's weird though, my friend Timmy drinks like 5 1L bottles of Pepsi and then some a day and he never had this issue.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Cather Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Energy drinks? - February 14th 2010, 04:05 AM

Energy drinks consumed in such high quanities and in such frequencies are absolutely HORRIBLE for your health. The caffeine raises your blood pressure and if you ingest caffeine so often, your body will naturally adjust to having a higher blood pressure, so even when you haven't had any caffeine, your blood pressure will still be high. I have this problem and I don't consume energy drinks nearly as often as you do.

Large quantities of caffeine can also lead to heart palpitations, and studies say that mass consumption of energy drinks can lead to heart attack or stroke.

Bottom line is that energy drinks are horrible for you. Having them once in awhile seems to be fine, but drinking 2-10 cans a day, every day? You should definitely try to cut back on your intake and definitely see a doctor. You could have some severe health issues building up.

I'd also try to cut back on the pepsi, so much carbonation and acidity between the soda and energy drinks is horrible for your teeth. It wears away the enamel and leaves you more vulnerable to cavities and other such problems.

Energy drinks also put your kidneys into overdrive and cause them to filter out as much water as possible, thus dehydrating you. That could definitely be adding to your fatigue and problems, so try to drink a lot of water as well.

Main points here: Cut back on the energy drinks and soda, drink more water, and see your doctor.

Hope this helped! Any other questions, feel free to PM me :]

(#8 (permalink)) Old
relapse Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Energy drinks? - February 14th 2010, 02:54 PM

Alright, I'm going to book an appointment on Tuesday seeing as we have "Islander Day" where everything is closed.

As for Pepsi, this will be a long difficult road.. Sadly.

Closed Thread