TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Winter

Unhappy Addicted to pinching myself - February 15th 2010, 02:10 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

This has bene going on for some time now, i used to have a lot of twitching problems and i cud never stop with that (i didnt have terrets) then i finnaly did and i feel WAY BETTER. i missed out and couldnt do so much becuz of the twitching. now that thats gone i still have a couple. This one is pretty bad and thats pinching my arms really hard. i do it all the time and i cant stop. it hurts so badly theres time where i wanna scream or cry it hurts so bad. ive already talked to my doctor about the twitching problems awhile back and she didnt really give me any advise but to simply "ignore it" and well, it didnt help my twitching at all. ive already tried that method and i tell you IT DOES NOT WORK. and i get so embarassed, i dont really notice anybody staring at me or even noticing me really but still, pinching myself and being in public is very embarassing for me.
I know im not stressed out when i do this its like, constantly even when i am so tired of it i cant seem to stop. and i hate it when my parents ask me when im okay cuz then i just do it more and more and even harder which is very painful for me. my parents dont even give a crap about it really. my mom says "well thats your problem, just stop, your gonna ruin what were doing" and all of this and i think its really rude cuz im miserable at school and everywhere im in so much pain all the time. i have HUGE BRUISES ON MY ARMS. im not kidding they ARE TERRIBLE. im covered in bruises and now i feel not really like wearing a short sleeved shirt cuz then im afraid my teacher will question me and then ill say no like last time but shell call my mom anyway and then my mom chews my ass for it. i hate it when my teacher does that cuz it doesnt help at all.

I just wanna know, is there anybody out here that has or has had the same problem as me? and what cuz i do to make it go away, or help my problem?
advise wud be very appriciated,

Winter <3

Met you from a tie between u and me buddy,
Saw you from my wired eyes with a twisted little lie, and my mind told me negative when i had a wish to own you with my heart, buddy and you split like twigs, senses told her i fell for him, and she told me "i loved him, and go get him" And while i said "negative he said "correct" <3

Me and ? = 3 days which =correct

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Addicted to pinching myself - February 15th 2010, 10:24 PM

Afraid I can't sympathise with your problem...

However, I assume from what I read that you cannot control these twitches? But can you feel when you're about to pinch yourself?

I would try to work out what causes your twitches, keep a diary of everytime it happens and what it happening around you at the time. Look for any patterns, if you're angry or isolated, anything like that. Then hopefully you can grow to predict them.

While it's winter, wear extra padding on your arms to dull the pinch.

And try to keep your hands busy while you're in 1-1 situations or whenever you find yourself most commonly twitching. Any sort of band that you can twist around with both of your hands or anything along those lines.

It's unfortunate that your doctors response was to simply ignore it. It may be worth while visiting another doctor, explaining what you've said here and ask them for their help. I imagine they will have a greater insight than I.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Winter

Re: Addicted to pinching myself - February 17th 2010, 12:17 AM

Yeah i know its bene all day at school. i pinch myself even when it seems like nothing is really even going on. yes i think there is some times where i get even a little bit stressed out i pinch way more but really, even when nothing happens, i do it anyway.
I dont really have a lot of thermals or anything like that. i did where my jacket today but still when i pinched i pinch so hard on myself it leaves scratches and red patches all over me even when im wearing my jaket. it really sucks and people keep on asking me what happened to my arm cuz im covered in bruises and all i say is "just a bike wreck, i crashed pretty bad" and they believe me. and yeah i do notice when im pinching myself its just so hard to control. and when i can control it i hold very still and cant do anything becuz if i do. im most likely to pinch myself. it really sucks and just when i thought they were going away they come back anyway. its bene going on for 10 months now. ):

Met you from a tie between u and me buddy,
Saw you from my wired eyes with a twisted little lie, and my mind told me negative when i had a wish to own you with my heart, buddy and you split like twigs, senses told her i fell for him, and she told me "i loved him, and go get him" And while i said "negative he said "correct" <3

Me and ? = 3 days which =correct

(#4 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Addicted to pinching myself - February 17th 2010, 03:43 PM

hey! maybe you can try getting a stuff toy to pinch, like the kind that you can hang on your pencil case or something. and i think it's a form of self harm and it can be addictive, yes. try to break it as soon as you can coz it's a problem that can last for years and can only get worse and worse. try challenging yourself to time periods during the day where u can't pinch yourself? try short periods of a few hours and then slowly extend to a few days to a few weeks... etc... ^^
hmmm think about it, are there times when you don't feel like pinching yourself or don't pinch yourself? it helps if you can figure out wat triggers you and stay away from these triggers.
and i would suggest that if your parents can't understand you in this, find another adult/ trustable friend to confide in.

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

Closed Thread