TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nir Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation doesn't really taste good - April 9th 2010, 03:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

okay so I'd have it. Yesterday I actually tore off a chunk of skin from my fingers. ( have OCD-biting) They look horrible and I hate myself so much. I just can't help it. The therapy isn't working and I'm losing so much money on bandages and other medical things.

I tried stopping. I couldn't go on for a day. I was shaking and ughhh.....anxiety attacks every thirty minutes. I tried distracting myself, and now I've ruined my painting (I was finishing one and well...you can imagine) And ever since that time I tried to stop, I feel really bad, depressed and confused somehow and I don't know why. The doctor's not in till Monday and I'm desperate for help.

Anyone know any tips?
Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: doesn't really taste good - April 9th 2010, 05:26 AM

i don't know how this would work...but, maybe you could put gloves on your hands and that way when you bit them you'd just bite the glove?
if you don't have gloves you could use a pair of socks.
maybe that could work until you get to see the doctor.
hang in there!

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: doesn't really taste good - April 9th 2010, 05:38 AM

You need to redirect your stress, go for a jog or go to the gym. You need something that fully distracts you.

B.S. in Biology, Minor in Chemistry - May 2010
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - May 2014

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: doesn't really taste good - April 9th 2010, 06:18 PM

Distract yourself with the things that will really take up all your attention. Something that you are really interested and something that involves action. I wouldn't suggest just sitting idol... maybe play a video game, or exercize, or clean your area.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: doesn't really taste good - April 9th 2010, 06:58 PM

Hey Nir,

I have the same problem. I will bite my hands until big chunks of skin come off, and blood comes pouring out. It was a problem I've had since fourth grade. I spent sooo much money on bandages just like you.

One thing I found really helped was if you go and get a retanier. Just the plastic ones that fit over your teeth. It really helped me so that I couldn't actually bite into my skin.
If you don't have enough money to buy a retanier, then go to the closest store to you, and they should have mouth gaurds that people use when playing sports. They normally cost under a dollar, and they work equally as well.

Good luck, and please take care!

-Kaylaaa<3.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

Closed Thread