TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

addicted to the internet - August 23rd 2010, 08:42 AM

i am complelty addcited to the internet like from the moment i wake up (usually about 8.30 - 9.30am i wake up ) i am on the internet straight away, i will then be onliner for about 13 - 14 hours a day, my parents have tried banning me on sundays but i just didnt cope without it so unbanned me from it on sundays coz i could not cope and was pretty much going insane without it. but the problems getting worse, so much so that if i am not aloud on the internet first thing in the morning i get really moody and start arguing with my mum. i even make my friend go home early just so i can go online and even when my friends here i'm online, if im at college its different, my tutor suggests i type up my work and i do tell her i can't go on the computer because i no i will not get work done and will just sit there on youtube and facebook. but when i get home im straight online, when im not online and im out i am always thinking about when im going to get home and get online.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: addicted to the internet - August 23rd 2010, 05:09 PM

Definately one I can relate to. I am not a talker so I do most of my talking online. There were a few periods in my life when my parents tried to limit my computer time to just 3 hrs. a day and even that was brutal.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: addicted to the internet - August 23rd 2010, 05:21 PM

I know being on the internet can be addictive, but you need to find other things to occupy your time. What do you think all the people did before the internet was invented? They coped without it and you can too. You need to have a bit of willpower and stop yourself from constantly being glued to a computer screen.

By what it says, you're 20. You're old enough now to take responsibility for yourself, and shouldn't need your parents to make rules for you. You should know what you have to do, and stick to it. Don't you have a job, or friends to go out with? It can't be fun for you to be stuck inside for 13 hours a day on the computer. It's definitely not healthy. And I'm surprised that you haven't gotten so bored doing the same thing for so long.

So basically, I would advise that you find other things to do. How do you think your friends feel when you tell them to leave just so you can sit around on the internet? Be grateful that you have friends to go out with! Enjoy life and go out.

Message me if you want to talk about this, or anything else. Take care and good luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: addicted to the internet - August 23rd 2010, 07:14 PM

Honestly, I'm the same way. You just have to occupy your time.
Try cutting down.. little by little instead of just stopping completely.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
RedJames Offline
Average Joe

Name: James

Re: addicted to the internet - August 23rd 2010, 07:20 PM

lol ya i can relate to this, i am online first thing in the morning, the lap top only takes second place to coffee in the morning. I spend 4 or 5 hours online every day, if it wasnt for work im sure i would be on more. I use to be online 6 to 8 hours a day but realized it was becomign a problem. I had to remember all the other things i use to do and enjoy, and start doing them more to take away from my puter time. Start doing things you like (aside from computer) and try doing new things that you've always wanted to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: addicted to the internet - August 24th 2010, 05:32 PM

i do have a job - but its not full time and shuts for the summer, i have college in the summer so its more the days im not at college and the weekends that its 13 hours a day. but recently its got to the point where i will go to college and sit there on the computer on facebook and youtube, not all day though but i iwll have the maths site up in the background so when my tutor comes over it just looks like im doing maths. plus im begining to tell my friends i am busy when really i would much rather be on the internet, problem is when im out with my friends i feel no one really understands me as such i feel out of place, on the internet (mainly on this site) people understand me. i used to go horse riding, but had to quit due money issues, and job issues. so the internet is all i really have.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: addicted to the internet - August 24th 2010, 11:54 PM

Since you find its becoming an issue in your life I would suggest trying to slow down on it. Take an hour off here and there and slowly pull yourself away from it. Try going to activities such as sports cubs reading clubs whatever your into.

I'm not sure if you have a job or not but it also would help break up your day. See I know the feeling because I use to play all the largest MMO's and spend hours in front of the computer, I still spend more time then the average person however its been getting a lot better.

There's nothing wrong with going on the net, some people watch t.v, some play Xbox we brows the web just don't allow it to take over your life.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: addicted to the internet - August 25th 2010, 04:03 AM

I sorta have the same issue. I however never get on a pc as much due to college and work. I'm only on for about an hour or more in the mornings. Tomorrow I'll be gone most of the day also.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: addicted to the internet - August 27th 2010, 10:43 AM

Get a hammer

Destroy computer

That's what I did with my xbox

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline