TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blondiegirl Offline
Blondie Girl
Not a n00b

Name: Blondie Girl

Unhappy Pyschological issue with needing the toilet constantly - September 5th 2010, 10:36 PM

Basically ive had this problem for about 10 years (im 18 by the way) and i have a constant anxiety about needing the toilet. If im out of the house its always on my mind, i cant travel long distance in the car because i hate not knowing where the nearest toilet is or if there is one close by, i cant sit through long lessons at school without feeling like i have to go. A lot of the time its linked to social emmbarasment and people realising im always going to the toilet. But it all started so suddenly i just kept thinking to myself constantly "i need the toilet" again and again and its not just thinking it, once ive thought about it i genuinely need to go. At home im fine, i dont have bladder weakness and can go hour without going but for some reason I just have an OCD thing about always needing the toilet when im out. It really emmbarasses me and ive been to the doctors and theres nothing wrong so i know its psychological. Ive had therapy aswell but there doesnt seem to be any long term soloution to this problem I really dont know what to do because im starting university in a week and a half and i really dont want these issues to take over when i start and il end up embarassing myself infront of people but always needing the toilet
Sorry that was so long.
Any advice would be appreciated.

"Fully Alive, More Than Most, Ready To Smile And Love Life!"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Pyschological issue with needing the toilet constantly - September 6th 2010, 12:33 AM

Hey

It definitely sounds like it could be related to OCD. OCD encompasses a lot of obsessions and compulsions and I have heard of people having obsessions and compulsions with going to the toilet as well. You said you did therapy before--are you still in therapy? My advice would be to find a good therapist who understands anxiety and OCD (and is known for treating those things) and see if they do CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. That's the type of therapy you want for dealing with an obsession. If you do some google searches you'll find more about CBT--it's wonderful and truly works. And I can promise you that you CAN get over this! It's just about finding the right help and support.

Best of luck!

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
blondiegirl Offline
Blondie Girl
Not a n00b

Name: Blondie Girl

Re: Pyschological issue with needing the toilet constantly - September 6th 2010, 10:33 PM

Yeah i had the therapy but its such an embarassing subject to go into. I stopped having the therapy because im moving to university next week and therte were other issues i had to get over too which the therapy helped me work through.
Thanks though yeqah your right i do need a different form of therapy but its just difficult going about it withought anyone knowing or anything :/

"Fully Alive, More Than Most, Ready To Smile And Love Life!"

Closed Thread