TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sweet_Venom Offline
Average Joe

Name: Brecca

Nail Polish Remover - February 24th 2011, 06:11 AM

It started off as a very weird obcession...I would spend hours just staring at it watching it swirl around in the bottle then soon i was smelling it and writing peotry about how much it calms me. but last year by complete accident i took a sip of it. ( i really did think it was something else ) but when i did the pain felt so beautiful. It was a new pain it wasnt cutting or abuse it was inside. and pretty soon it was all i thought about. everytime i woke up i would feel empty until i drunk some nail polish remover felt the burn down my throat. i know its not healthy for me though because everytime i drink too much i become crippled in pain but i guess i like that...i guess i just want to know whats wrong with me??? I know this is so far from normal and i just want to figure out what my problem is and why cant i stop if i know its probably killing me???

As long as theres a person crying at your funeral theres a reason to live...

~Brecca~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ally_Georgiiie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ally Georgina

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 24th 2011, 12:30 PM

well I cant help you much but ... have you thought about telling someone or going to see a doctor ? becuase DRINKING it is really not good for you

who fights may eventually lose, but who doesn't even fight has allready lost.

My PM box is open 24/7 for everyone.
Stay strong,Ally Georgina xx
  Send a message via MSN to Ally_Georgiiie  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Sweet_Venom Offline
Average Joe

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 24th 2011, 06:33 PM

No but i think i might have to im so lost on what to do. Like I was watching tv theres a show called my strange addictions and the people on there had similer issues but most of the time they never got better. this worries me alot...

~Brecca~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
James Moriarty Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: James Moriarty

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 24th 2011, 07:49 PM

I think you should go and see a doctor. it's not healthy to be drinking it, and it will probably be very damaging. I'm not an expert obviously, but i dont think it's good for you. a doctor will help you.

In a world of locked rooms
The man with the key is king.
And honey
You should see me in a crown
Tumblr

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 24th 2011, 07:51 PM

on most nail polish remover bottles it does usually say ' drinking contents could be harmful' , you should really see a doctor about this as this is probably damging / rotting away your insides and possibly burning a hole in the linning of your stomach or intestines which could cause serious health problems later on in life, i would suggest you see a doctor and move all bottles of nail polish remover out of your sight and see a doctor.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 24th 2011, 09:29 PM

I agree with the others, this simply cannot be good for your health. Please, go see a doctor about this. This has to be doing more harm than good. There are other ways to handle things, such as writing, talking to those you trust, and posting here as some examples. Please take care of yourself.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Sweet_Venom Offline
Average Joe

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 25th 2011, 01:16 AM

I told my friend about it today...she told my mom...Im suppose to go to the doctors this weekend and get x-rays and stuff. I guess im going to go on from there...

~Brecca~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Boxy Offline
Clinically Liz
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Boxy or Liz

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 25th 2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Venom View Post
I told my friend about it today...she told my mom...Im suppose to go to the doctors this weekend and get x-rays and stuff. I guess im going to go on from there...
If you haven't been drinking it for very long there probably wont be anything internally wrong with you aside from maybe a sensitive stomach or esophagus. But still, it's a good idea to get checked out.

After going to the doctor, you should consider going into some sort of therapy for this. Millions of people suffer from a disorder called Pica (though this may not be what you have). Pica is a disorder that causes people to crave non-edible things like chalk, tissue, powder, battery's, pretty much anything.

Many people recover from Pica naturally with time. There are some behavioral things that treat Pica but unless you compulsively do this, that probably isn't what you need.

Basically just talk to the doctor and see what recommendations they make.

Take care,
<3 Boxy

1:44 PM [Cassago] I'll be your glass slipper, if you'll be my foot..
1:45 PM [Boxy] i'll be your foot anyday

Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing

Send a message via AIM to Boxy Send a message via MSN to Boxy Send a message via Yahoo to Boxy Send a message via Skype™ to Boxy 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 25th 2011, 10:01 PM

Nail polish remover contains predominatly acetone and if you drink small amounts, it won't do much damage. If you drink larger amounts, there's a good chance you will have damage to your mouth and probably also your esophagus. If you go to a doctor's office, they may send you straight to the hospital and sample your blood and urine (only will show if you've ingested it 2-4 days ago). They probably would also want you to undergo a psychological evaluation because drinking it isn't normal and the first thing that comes to mind is the eating disorder called pica. If you've ever watched the series called "My Strange Addiction", some people on it do have pica. The doctors would examine your mouth and possibly your GI tract. If you ingested it recently, then it's time to pump your stomach but if you rush over minutes after ingesting it, they may use activated charcoal to stop it from entering your stomach and rest of the body.

I don't know how much damage it could do to someone's mouth because... well, it's not meant to go into mouths but depending what is found, you may need to book a trip to the dentist.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Sweet_Venom Offline
Average Joe

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 27th 2011, 03:36 PM

I dont really know if im doin it complusively or not. like sometimes i am but other times I delerbrately take it. I think its more a new weird way for my to self injure than Pica...or is that the same thing??? I really feel like crying I dont want to have to see a mental doctor and I dont want to be so sick. I really do hate myself for the things I get myself into but I cant stop...

~Brecca~

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Boxy Offline
Clinically Liz
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Boxy or Liz

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 27th 2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Venom View Post
I dont really know if im doin it complusively or not. like sometimes i am but other times I delerbrately take it. I think its more a new weird way for my to self injure than Pica...or is that the same thing??? I really feel like crying I dont want to have to see a mental doctor and I dont want to be so sick. I really do hate myself for the things I get myself into but I cant stop...
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't consider Pica and SI to be the same thing. Pica is usually done because it tastes good, it's compulsory, or it makes you feel good.

SI is usually to punish yourself, release emotions, or hurt yourself.

Although SI can make you 'feel good' I'd say it's different...
I'm not saying you have Pica, and now that you have said the above, I don't think you have it.
Just talk to a doctor, this isn't safe. If you can stop with no problem, then maybe you don't need a doctor. But if you're going to continue doing it, and can't control yourself, then you need help. Hurting the outside of your body via cutting, scratching, burning, etc. is easier to heal, and easier to notice signs of things gone wrong. Compared to ingesting toxic chemicals which can harm your insides, and you may not immediately see the damage you are causing yourself.

Also, if this has become an addiction for you, I would seek immediate help. Addictions only get worse when left untreated.

<3 Boxy

1:44 PM [Cassago] I'll be your glass slipper, if you'll be my foot..
1:45 PM [Boxy] i'll be your foot anyday

Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing

Send a message via AIM to Boxy Send a message via MSN to Boxy Send a message via Yahoo to Boxy Send a message via Skype™ to Boxy 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 28th 2011, 01:01 AM

Pica is an eating disorder and the best definition of it is people cannot distinguish edible food from inedible food. For example, I know not to swallow pennies but if someone has pica, they may do this especially if they like the taste. It's not done with the intent to harm oneself. However, the two are not mutually exclusive, that is, you could have pica and drink acetone for self-harm. Generally though, people with pica do end up harming themselves by what they eat but the harm is not intentional, it's a consequence of their eating disorder.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Sweet_Venom Offline
Average Joe

Re: Nail Polish Remover - February 28th 2011, 05:00 AM

I hope weather it is or is not Pica that i can get help for it. My mom cought me cutting and it was pretty bad she wants to send me away i dont think the cutting will officially stop but im hoping maybe i can stop drinking nail polish remover

one step at a time right?

~Brecca~

Closed Thread