TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thecowslayer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Video Games - March 14th 2011, 08:12 PM

Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me find out how to not be on the computer so much. I enjoy lots of other things, reading, board games, photography, playing the drums, etc... but I usually get bored of everything else really quickly. I don't really know anyone in my neighborhood except for 1 person and my brothers friends, because I'm not good at making friends, and I don't know if anyone in my neighborhood shares any of my interests.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Video Games - March 14th 2011, 09:07 PM

I can understand. The computer is a good way to kill time. Hours can become minutes while you are on the computer. But I can understand how you find it uncomfortable to be on the computer for hours. You gave some good solutions to your problem though. You just have to find other activities to do. Write, draw. Find a club. Join a sports team. Hang out with friends. I'm pretty sure that if you find something productive, outside of home, you should be able to get over being on the computer for long periods of time.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thecowslayer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Video Games - March 14th 2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibrant View Post
I can understand. The computer is a good way to kill time. Hours can become minutes while you are on the computer. But I can understand how you find it uncomfortable to be on the computer for hours. You gave some good solutions to your problem though. You just have to find other activities to do. Write, draw. Find a club. Join a sports team. Hang out with friends. I'm pretty sure that if you find something productive, outside of home, you should be able to get over being on the computer for long periods of time.
Well, I'm a part of a few things, I go to a photography club, but that's only once a month, so it doesn't help much. I used to play sports, but I can't now because I found out that I have something called marfans syndrome, which doesn't let me play most sports. I like to hang out with my friends, but most of the time we do electronics anyways, and when we don't, we usually do something like laser tag, where we can't go very often. I would join a club, but i'm dual enrolling at a college right now, meaning that even though I'm in 11th grade, I go to a college, and I don't think I can join college clubs. I'll try to find other things though, I just can't seem to find anything that will be a good replacement for video games.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Video Games - March 15th 2011, 01:00 PM

Have you tried reading books? Try to find some good books that you like to read. Be open to try anything that doesn't involve the computer. Whether it be writing, reading, drawing. Hanging outside. You get the idea.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Thecowslayer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Video Games - March 15th 2011, 07:46 PM

Yeah, I like to read a lot of comics, and books, but I read really quickly so most of the time I don't have enough comics to read, and I like reading, but it gets annoying if I read for too long. I'm not very good at writing or drawing either, and I can never find much that I like to do outside, though I like playing airsoft.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Video Games - March 17th 2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowslayer View Post
Yeah, I like to read a lot of comics, and books, but I read really quickly so most of the time I don't have enough comics to read, and I like reading, but it gets annoying if I read for too long. I'm not very good at writing or drawing either, and I can never find much that I like to do outside, though I like playing airsoft.
Airsoft is fun (bloody expensive if you do it right though!).

Anyway, maybe try to mix socialization into the computer? Like play EVE Online or something? To try to mitigate the "evil". Ahem, or maybe play a solitaire boardgame (yep, they exist).

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Video Games - March 17th 2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Airsoft is fun (bloody expensive if you do it right though!).

Anyway, maybe try to mix socialization into the computer? Like play EVE Online or something? To try to mitigate the "evil". Ahem, or maybe play a solitaire boardgame (yep, they exist).
Personally, I disagree with the socialization on the computer part just from my own experiences. I remember playing MMORPGs where I did make online friends, and my excitement in playing with these people every day kept me on the computer for longer times than I should have.

I really think that sports or dance is a really good activity to pursue if you're interested in either. They require you to be active, and will keep you used to the idea of being active and not just passive playing computer games.

As for the interests that you mention, I think that you should go to your local library. 1) It's free, meaning you'll have an endless supply of books, audiobooks, magazines, etc. 2) Libraries often hold activities or clubs (such as comic book clubs, or science series lectures) that are also generally free to the public. You may find friends that way or new interests. While libraries aren't typically a place you can meet people, if you use the resources there available to you, you can definitely meet new people.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Thecowslayer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Video Games - March 17th 2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmatic View Post

Personally, I disagree with the socialization on the computer part just from my own experiences. I remember playing MMORPGs where I did make online friends, and my excitement in playing with these people every day kept me on the computer for longer times than I should have.

I really think that sports or dance is a really good activity to pursue if you're interested in either. They require you to be active, and will keep you used to the idea of being active and not just passive playing computer games.

As for the interests that you mention, I think that you should go to your local library. 1) It's free, meaning you'll have an endless supply of books, audiobooks, magazines, etc. 2) Libraries often hold activities or clubs (such as comic book clubs, or science series lectures) that are also generally free to the public. You may find friends that way or new interests. While libraries aren't typically a place you can meet people, if you use the resources there available to you, you can definitely meet new people.
@Guile:It's a bit different for me about the meeting people online thing, I actually play games online with my friend who goes to the same school, he just lives far away from me. And Yeah, airsoft is pretty expensive. I think playing a board game for just one person takes all the fun out of board games, I play them so I can spend time with people.
@Trickmatick:I can't really play sports because I have a genetic condition called Marfan's syndrome, at least, almost all types of sports. I actually enjoy dancing, if it's with my girlfriend, and we'll do that ocasionally, but that's only sometimes. I actually like going to the library, mainly to get cds and dvds. They have an anime club there, but that's only once a month. Right now I'm trying to find a group of musicians to jam with, so hopefully that'll work out.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Video Games - March 17th 2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowslayer View Post
@Guile:It's a bit different for me about the meeting people online thing, I actually play games online with my friend who goes to the same school, he just lives far away from me. And Yeah, airsoft is pretty expensive. I think playing a board game for just one person takes all the fun out of board games, I play them so I can spend time with people.
@Trickmatick:I can't really play sports because I have a genetic condition called Marfan's syndrome, at least, almost all types of sports. I actually enjoy dancing, if it's with my girlfriend, and we'll do that ocasionally, but that's only sometimes. I actually like going to the library, mainly to get cds and dvds. They have an anime club there, but that's only once a month. Right now I'm trying to find a group of musicians to jam with, so hopefully that'll work out.
My apologies for missing your previous explanation of your condition. If there are any sports that you are able to play, then maybe you cold look into that. It sounds you do have a lot of activities to do, it's just a matter of wanting to do these activities or finding the access to the activities.

Closed Thread