TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Serena

I need to stop biting my fingers - October 6th 2011, 04:28 PM

It's true, I don't bite my nails, I bite the skin that's around them.
I didn't really know where to put this so I just put this here. If I have to move it tell me where.
Okay, so I started when I was... I don't know, maybe 7 or 8 years old and it went on for 8 or 9 years.
When I look at my nails I only see pieces of skin that seem ready to fall and sometimes I bite so bad that my fingers bleed or hurt for weeks.
Since I don't like (well, hate) this habit of mine, I'm trying to stop.
I have to bite something instead of my skin, but I don't know what.
Usually I chew some gum or bite a stick of liquorice when I'm at home but the problem starts at school because the only thing I can bite is my pen and it's not a brilliant idea.
So, is there anyone who has had this kind of addiction? Or is there anyone who can help me stop?
Thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 6th 2011, 05:32 PM

I have no advice for you but since you asked if there was someone out there who does the same thing, I'm going to say that I do. I bite the sides of my fingers out of a nervous habit and it's gotten to the point of whenever I'm nervous, I bite them. It sucks. Just wanted to tell you that you're not alone & couldn't read and run. Good luck trying to find answers.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
Average Joe

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 6th 2011, 07:24 PM

a friend of mine suggested me to bite pencils, but I'm afraid that is not a brilliant idea. My mom says to wash my fingers with alcohol, but it would hurt because they're full of little cuts.
If I find a solution I'll tell you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Roy-kun231 Offline
"Just Be Friends!"
Average Joe

Name: Bobbie

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 7th 2011, 04:44 AM

A good thing to do is to keep your hands occupied. That helps me. I play with my hair a lot when I talk to people (especially when nervous) and that helps take my mind off of my ugly, ugly nubs and fingers.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Roy-kun231  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye

I've been here a while

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 7th 2011, 07:31 AM

Here are a few sites about finger biting. Check em out. Or you can just type "thumb biting" on google and see more.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5140141AAOcFxg
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2061806AAuADAG
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2142156AA2V910
http://allnurses.com/general-nursing...my-339950.html

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Squidgy Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 7th 2011, 09:20 PM

My friend used to bite her fingers, her parents used to dip her fingers in vinegar so she wouldn't bite them. Kinda harsh but it worked.
  Send a message via MSN to Squidgy Send a message via Skype™ to Squidgy 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 8th 2011, 01:07 AM

Yeah; I'd definitely either somehow flavor your fingers somehow or tell yourself that you have to do something negative such as run a mile every time you bite. If you can connect these negative actions together you might end up being less tempted to do them.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pug Princess Offline
Bug & Pug <3

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 8th 2011, 03:52 PM

I think vinegar is a great idea, but you could also put something like tape or gloves on your hands so that you can't bite them.

~~~
Article Editor | Project Advisor
~~~
Skittlify

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
Average Joe

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 10th 2011, 04:02 PM

great ideas! I was thinking of putting plasters on my fingers but it's riddiculous, because a normal person doesn't hang out wearing 10 plasters on her hands. I tried to put something on them and it worked. I haven't been biting for 3 days

I may be able to save every single human being on this Earth; I may find solutions to every problem ever existed; I may correct all of the mistakes people have made; I may carry the burden of the pain of loving every person without being loved back... but there is one thing I will never be able to do: save myself. I'm sorry.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 10th 2011, 05:54 PM

I do this as well (& also bite my finger nails). To prevent this, I cut my nails often & usually cut off the dead skin so I don't bite at it later. I also pick at the skin with my hands rather than my mouth. It's not much better, I guess, but it still keeps my fingers out of my mouth.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 10th 2011, 08:51 PM

I went a week with plasters on my fingers to stop this habit. Yeah, I looked stupid, and got loads of questions, but it helped so much

Another method I used was to paint my nails, or wear fake ones. If my fingers looked pretty, I'd want to bite them less <3

(#12 (permalink)) Old
cardio Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shannan

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 12th 2011, 05:19 AM

I've also done this on and off basically my whole life. It used to be just a general habit, but now I do it mostly when I'm either bored or upset, which has been a lot lately. I haven't found any super effective things to stop, but my ex-boyfriend did the same thing and every time we noticed each other biting, we would push their hand away from their mouth. It helped quite a bit just to have someone to stop you, because at least for me I don't always realize I'm doing it until my finger starts hurting or bleeding.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker

I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 12th 2011, 10:39 AM

Vinegar isn't a good idea. Pencils aren't that much better either.

Have you tried chewing gum? You can also try peppermints. Anything to keep your mind busy and distorted away from your nails.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 12th 2011, 10:51 AM

You can get stuff from chemists ... not nail paint although it is made for nails. It's a liquid rather than paint. I used it to stop biting my nails, but even just putting it on my nails made my whole fingers taste so bad I gagged every time I even touched my lips.
And as for the stinging issue, I used to btie the skin around my nails too so had cuts and it didn't sting at all. I got my stuff in the UK but I'm pretty sure most places do it. Go into a chemist and ask them for nail biting solutions, but liquids rather than nail paint. Seriously it stays on your fingers for like two days, washing your hands etc doens't make it go away. I put it on about 3 days ago and have removed and redone nail paint since and I can still taste it on my fingers. SO gross it works. Good luck!!

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#15 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 12th 2011, 03:52 PM

I do the same thing, haha.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
MichaelJackson Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Cool Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 20th 2011, 02:24 PM

You aren't alone with your addiction. Im in HS now and with teachers helping me with work and alot of girls im trying to stop. Try putting stuff on your fingers. Keep yourself occupied with something else. Keep a band aid on your finger. Best in Luck!!!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
Average Joe

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 20th 2011, 03:11 PM

I tried anything.
I tried nail paint. It didn't work.
I tried chewing gum. It didn't work.
I tried pens. They didn't work.
I tried plasters, but they looked ridiculous.
I can't find anything else. I mean, no vinegar or other things to put on my fingers.
I stopped for a week or more, but I started again. I'm really nervous these days.

I may be able to save every single human being on this Earth; I may find solutions to every problem ever existed; I may correct all of the mistakes people have made; I may carry the burden of the pain of loving every person without being loved back... but there is one thing I will never be able to do: save myself. I'm sorry.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 21st 2011, 08:16 AM

Hey there,
I know this sounds hard, but you've just got to keep trying. Even if you're serious about giving up, you're going to slip up now and again, particularly if there are things going on that are making you nervous.
Habits are hard to break, so just keep trying. You'll get there. When you realise you've slipped up and are biting again, stop straight away. Once you've noticed you're doing it you have the power. Once you've noticed you're doing it, try to distract yourself. Do something which keeps your hands busy, like making something.
Good luck. x

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - October 26th 2011, 05:46 PM

I used something similar to this for two days and I have completely stopped biting my fingers/ nails.

I also try and keep my hands occupied as much as possible.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#20 (permalink)) Old
lost_soul Offline
:)
Average Joe

Re: I need to stop biting my fingers - November 1st 2011, 06:20 PM

I bite my nails and the surrounding skin all the time, it's a horrible habit. If I am trying to stop, I'll wear gloves when I can, make a conscience effort to sit on my hands when I can (such as when a teacher is talking to the class) and chew gum when possible. Also, replacing an addictive behaviour with another behaviour is often an affective way of overcoming the addiction, so try and find something else that you can regularly do with your hands. Perhaps you could carry around an elastic band wherever you go and snap it against a desk or your wrist, or just stretch it out between your fingers to preoccupy your hands. Or you could try to replace the biting with some other kind of behaviour such as stroking one hand with the other or clenching your fists, then relaxing and repeating it over and over. I know a lot of these suggestions sound odd and ineffective, but they're just methods I use and find helpful sometimes Good luck!

PM me anytime, I love helping people and will do my best to help you <3

And if I bleed, I'll bleed knowing you don't care
~ Evanescence, Missing

Closed Thread