TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love?
Yes! 3 13.04%
No 6 26.09%
Maybe 0 0%
It depends on the situation 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Points: 13,275, Level: 16 Points: 13,275, Level: 16 Points: 13,275, Level: 16

Question Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 04:49 AM

Hey guys!

So I was just curious if you would go to college out of state to be close to someone you had fallen in love with. I have been thinking a lot about this today and thought it would be interesting to see other opinions. I'd love to hear what you guys think. Why do you choose that option? Thanks for the opinions guys!

~Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 04:59 AM

I'm already in college, so this is all hypothetical to me. It really would depend on what state/school though, for me, and how long I'd been in a relationship and if I honestly saw it lasting.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 05:00 AM

I selected "it depends on the situation," because honestly, I don't think I would be willing to do it unless we were engaged. If we weren't engaged yet, but we knew it was going to happen relatively soon, then okay, maybe I'd move. Basically, I wouldn't move for just ANYONE... I would only move for my future husband. =)

Even then, I would need to think about whether the new college could meet my needs. If there weren't any colleges that had decent programs/departments for my area of interest... then I'd be reluctant to move, regardless of whether or not we were getting married. I mean, come on... if we're going to be a family, then I need to be able to pull my weight as well!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
heather_tate19 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Heather

Points: 11,742, Level: 15 Points: 11,742, Level: 15 Points: 11,742, Level: 15

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 05:11 AM

If. My family had the money to send me out of state, I would go wherever I wanted to go. Depending on how far away my partner is, I think it could work out
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

Points: 9,601, Level: 14 Points: 9,601, Level: 14 Points: 9,601, Level: 14

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 06:11 AM

Again, there are so many if's.
If you can afford it should be the first thing to look at.
If you think the relationship is going to last.
Lastly, I think it's important to see if you're sacrificing your education (eg. going to a lower college) to be closer to this person.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I hope you're having a spectacular day!

You can PM/VM me about anything.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Delicious Chaos Offline
Average Joe

Points: 9,344, Level: 14 Points: 9,344, Level: 14 Points: 9,344, Level: 14

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 06:42 AM

It depends on who the person is and how much I love him. If our love is heading somewhere I would. I wouldn't move for anyone I would have to be sure we have a future together. I would also see if I have enough money because out of state tuition is expensive. So I to know this relationship is going somewhere in the terms of getting married before I take a big step like this.

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
- Michael Jordan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
- John Wooden
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Points: 22,944, Level: 21 Points: 22,944, Level: 21 Points: 22,944, Level: 21

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 07:23 AM

I chose yes because currently I'm thinking of going overseas to college because I'm in love with this guy. PLUS in the state over a friend of mine lives so I really want to see her to. And I"ve always wanted to get out of Australia, too much bullshit here for college overseas sounds fun and will give me more experiences and I want to learn how other places function. So, it has to be a bunch of things and not just him <3

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 12:10 PM

I wouldn't. I only left sixth form a few months ago when I was 18 and if I had been around that age give or take a few years an, I would never move college. If I had an education ad was going a course, I'd continue with that. I'd put my education first.

If I wasi n my 30's or 40's and I'd gone back into education (like a lot of people tend to do these days) then maybe. It would depend.

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Points: 7,943, Level: 13 Points: 7,943, Level: 13 Points: 7,943, Level: 13

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 01:38 PM

Yes if certain criteria were met and I was truly in love and the chances of us getting married were high I'd follow or hope they might follow me/ but I already go to an out of state school so thats not a problem. So I have to really agree with PSY here.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 02:49 PM

It depends.

I actually moved to university in the same city as my boyfriend was living but him being there wasn't the main reason I moved. I was already looking into universities in Scotland when I met him and he suggested his university which I looked at and the course really looked good. Then I went up to visit him and just really liked the city as well.

If I hadn't have liked the university or the city then I probably would have gone somewhere else.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
LoveBites Offline
Master of Heartbreak
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Eliza

Points: 7,228, Level: 12 Points: 7,228, Level: 12 Points: 7,228, Level: 12

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 03:17 PM

I do not think I would sacrifice my education to be with someone I love, unless we were going to get married. You only get one shot at a college education and it decides your future, so if it was me, I would go to the college of MY choice. If I wanted to I could still contact my girlfriend/boyfriend over e-mail, the phone, or Video Chat.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15 Points: 11,886, Level: 15

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 03:22 PM

Again, it would depend. I think we would have to be engaged, or been together for years and years. (like, 3+).
I really, really don't like change, so it would be hard. But knowing what it's like to be in a semi long-distance relationship, I know it really, really sucks..bad.
So, I would probably seriously consider it if we were engaged or pretty serious.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 03:38 PM

It depends what the college has to offer for my major, how long and serious the relationship is, if we could even make the time to spend together, how long I've been in college to suffice, ect. There are a lot of factors. Personally, that would be a really risky move to make. It's something that has to go hand in hand.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 06:25 PM

Man, college...that's a while ago now!

Anyway, I would say that unless I wanted to go to that college anyway and it offered the course I wanted to study, probably not. Sounds a bit harsh on face value, but when I went to university it was to study and my priority was getting the right course and doing it well. I was single when I went so I didn't have to worry about where my girlfriend went, but if I had been in a relationship I'm sure we would have worked something out. In an age of Facebook, Skype etc. and relatively cheap travel if you plan ahead, it's not impossible to keep a relationship going even if you're in different colleges - there were quite a few at my uni who did exactly that. It's down to each couple to work out, though. For me it would probably be fine so I vote no, but I can understand why for some it would be a factor.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 13th 2012, 10:30 PM

For me it depends. If I knew that the relationship was going to last, such as if we were engaged, I would MAYBE. It also depends on how far away, because I have always wanted to stay in my state or if not, at least very close. It also also depends on whether or not the universities around there had programs that would fit my needs. All in all, I'd probably not though unless I was positive I was doing the right thing. I'm sure I'd be able to make an LDR work if I was dedicated enough.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Points: 20,224, Level: 20 Points: 20,224, Level: 20 Points: 20,224, Level: 20

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 14th 2012, 12:17 AM

If you are able to (financially,etc) and they offer programs at the college that you are truly interested in. I see no issue with it. If you are going on a whim to some college that you deep down have no interest in simply to be with your significant other than I would advise against it. Because something could happen where you break up and then you have deal with transferring colleges etc.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 14th 2012, 07:08 AM

Hate to be another that says it depends, but it does.
For the most part, I probably would not. If things were good between us then as hard as it can be, we would be able to make the long distance work. Besides, we could probably visit each other during holidays. I wouldn't want to go to a different school that may not have as good of programs for what I want to major in, and so I'd hate to limit myself over a relationship.
However if we were engaged or I was pregnant or something along those lines, then yes, I would go to college out of state.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 15th 2012, 05:48 PM

I believe in going to school in the place that feels right for me. If my significant other wanted to go there, too, that's great. But I would never choose a school solely to be with someone. However, if myself and a partner decided to move close to one another and they were in another state, I might attend college there on my own. I'd still have to like the school, though.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? - October 15th 2012, 08:31 PM

It really depends on the situation. For me, the big reason it would have to be a no is that for most of my life, I have dreamed of one thing: art college. I already have to go out of state for that to happen, so the situation here would be reversed.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
Closed Thread