TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
guitarmaster Offline
guitarmaster
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Don't Need To Know

Question Athlete - January 12th 2013, 08:52 AM

I've always wanted to be a runner. Cross-country, track, anything as long as it involves running. I'm just in middle school, but I don't know how to achieve it. Is there like a college for that or something? I doubt that there is, but if there isn't what can I do? I also love basketball. It's a close 2nd.

I'm good at both of them!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Athlete - January 12th 2013, 02:26 PM

Hey there,

I think this sounds like an amazing goal, and since you're starting early it will be a lot easier as well. First of all, you should try to see if your school has a track and/or a cross country team. My middle school had both, and they should be able to give you some information on how to get started. If your middle school doesn't, I highly suggest talking to some of the high school coaches. A lot of times they are incredibly nice and are interested in talking to future athletes.

As for a college for running, I'm not quite sure myself, but a lot of colleges do have teams and it should be something you look for when you go to apply to a college. As for basketball, I also suggest talking to the coaches, it's a great way to stay in shape when it's not track or cross country season, and I know a lot of the kids at my school who are involved with track and cross country, are also involved with basketball.

I wish you all the best, good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Re: Athlete - January 12th 2013, 05:51 PM

Like Lauren said join the track and cross country teams. As well as the basketball team. And when you go to college join those teams.

I'm sure there are not any degrees to become an athlete its mostly just hard work and some luck. But it wouldnt hurt to get a degree in sports related careers like sports medicine or an athletic trainer. So if becoming an athlete doesnt pan out youll have a degree in something.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: Athlete - January 12th 2013, 06:42 PM

Hi there!

I think it's awesome that you want to be a runner! I myself am a runner, and I absolutely LOVE it. It's a great sport.

If you are hoping to run on a college team someday, I highly recommend that you start running now - that way, you will be fast and experienced by college. Like the other two posters said, I think you should look into joining your school's track/cross country team if it has one, or you could join a local youth running club. I also agree with the idea of talking to the coach at the high school you plan to attend - he/she can give you great advice on how to start running, some goals to reach before high school, and an idea of what a track/cross country team is like. I know that my coach is very nice and supportive of new runners and loves to talk about anything running related, so don't be shy! I'm sure he/she will be happy to talk to you.

Another option is to start running on your own, which is what I did before joining a team, and what I still do on summer vacation and on weekends. Running on your own is nice because you can "be your own coach" and progress at whatever pace you feel comfortable with. If this is what you choose to do, I suggest following a plan (but feel free to alter it a bit if you want). Try googling "beginner 5K training program" to find one, or get a book on running for beginners or for youth. With motivation and some hard work, you can probably be running 3 miles in anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks.

As for basketball, it's a great off-season sport! A lot of runners on my team play basketball during the off-season.

If you need any other running advice, feel free to PM/VM me anytime! I'd be very happy to help.

~Hailey

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Athlete - January 12th 2013, 09:15 PM

I think everyone above is right. Most Junior highs/middle schools have track teams/cross country teams (mine did). So if yours does, join it! If not, you can always wait until high school because most (if not all) high schools have track/cross country teams. Nonetheless, if you like doing it, stick too it! Especially once you begin to do it in high school, you will begin to see scouts for colleges come and watch certain games and if they like your performance, they may want you at their college. Most colleges have very good track/cross country teams (and basketball teams); so keep working on your goal, and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that your playing at a College level eventually.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

Closed Thread