TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VoodooGirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Points: 10,541, Level: 14 Points: 10,541, Level: 14 Points: 10,541, Level: 14

Seeking Help From School - August 19th 2013, 07:46 PM

If I were to go to the counselling services at my University, would they likely take me out of school? I really want help but one of the reasons I refuse to seek it is I fear being taken out of school. I fear telling my mom because I don't think she'd let me go as it's far from home, my hope was to go to counselling once school starts, but then I started thinking, maybe they'd take me out of school to get help because they'd think I can't handle it or something which I totally can. In fact I think keeping busy and having a distraction from thinking about food and weight all day might be the only thing that can help me.

Take A Sad Song and Make It Better (8)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: Seeking Help From School - August 19th 2013, 08:02 PM

Hey Sam, they most likely will NOT take you out of school unless you need immediate hospitalization. They may send you to health services or a doctor for a physical, or give you the option to admit yourself depending on how serious your physical condition is or if you're an immediate danger to yourself for any reason.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
VoodooGirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Points: 10,541, Level: 14 Points: 10,541, Level: 14 Points: 10,541, Level: 14

Re: Seeking Help From School - August 19th 2013, 08:11 PM

Ok thank you, that's a relief because this is pretty much the only way I'm going to get myself help.

Take A Sad Song and Make It Better (8)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Seeking Help From School - August 20th 2013, 10:22 PM

Hi Sam,

I agree with Katie, they will not take you out of school. Depending on your university, they may be able to help you through health services, the counseling center and with the help of your school's nutritionist.
They can only make you leave for help if you are in serious danger and they do not have the services to help you.
Some universities list their services and self-help resources on their websites. Maybe you can have a look under the counseling center section of your school's site to see their polocies and other information.
Hopefully this is helpful and you can send me a PM or VM if you ever need someone to talk to.
Take care and have a great start to your freshman year!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Alexisdominique Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lexi

Points: 6,500, Level: 11 Points: 6,500, Level: 11 Points: 6,500, Level: 11

Re: Seeking Help From School - August 23rd 2013, 02:33 AM

Counselors don't really do that. I don't even think they're allowed to do that I the person's not comfortable with the decision.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Seeking Help From School - August 23rd 2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexisdominique View Post
Counselors don't really do that. I don't even think they're allowed to do that I the person's not comfortable with the decision.

You are correct, in a majority of cases, counselors do not make people leave school or seek inpatient help. Though, if the person is extremely malnurish from an ED and is uncapable to live very long without medical intervention, at risk of suicide because they have a plan and plan to act on it or if the person has a plan to seriously harm others, then they will most likely and can interveen for the safety of the student and anyone else.
I could be wrong, I know I am not always correct, however I believe this is how I understand the confidentiality policy of colleges/universities.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: Seeking Help From School - August 23rd 2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
You are correct, in a majority of cases, counselors do not make people leave school or seek inpatient help. Though, if the person is extremely malnurish from an ED and is uncapable to live very long without medical intervention, at risk of suicide because they have a plan and plan to act on it or if the person has a plan to seriously harm others, then they will most likely and can interveen for the safety of the student and anyone else.
I could be wrong, I know I am not always correct, however I believe this is how I understand the confidentiality policy of colleges/universities.
I'm one semester away from working in the college counseling center and yes, this is how it works; only I'm in training, so technically my supervisor would have to make the call. We don't do anything without discussing it with the client. First you suggest it, if you feel it's really necessary, you strongly suggest, and if it's medically necessary or an emergency, then you encourage them to go willingly, if they refuse and they're in danger then they can be forced against their will, but only as the absolute last resort. Any licensed counselor has the power to do this.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread