TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Writer Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

I have two goals, they're polar opposites, and it's driving me INSANE. - October 14th 2014, 12:55 AM

Please prepare for an onslaught of rambling. I'm typing what I think as I think it, so that I can read over this, and perhaps get a handle on what's going on inside my mind.

Since I graduated [early, actually] from home-school, I've been in a continual cycle: I plan on going to college, then decide to be a hermit, quit, then begin looking at colleges again.

At the beginning of last semester I attempted going to college for precisely twenty-four hours. I returned because I missed my family, am terrified of debt, disliked the particular school's atmosphere, and had no idea what I wanted to do. I decided to come home, work on my book, and become a hermit.

Three months later, I feel extraordinarily bored. Terribly, terribly, terribly bored. At home, I lack energy. When I'm out among people, even if I talk to no one, I'm more energetic.

I'm the sort of person who needs constant occupation, or I eat. I need goals that require me to get up and move, both my mind and my body at once. I need competition with other human beings (opportunities to show off, I'd say ). I need challenges - mental more than physical. This would suggest that, rather than becoming a writer/hermit, it would be more fulfilling for me to attempt further studying.

The problem is, my family is extremely, extremely poor. I was in public school for my first two years of high school, and half-tried, because I was bored out of my mind - so I really don't know half of what I was supposed to learn in those times, nor do I have the high school grades for scholarships. My mother didn't keep track of my grades when I was homeschooled the last year of high school, so I don't have those to show to universities, either. All I have is a GED paper and a crappy 26 on my ACT, which isn't enough to get scholarships to any good university.

Then there's the fact that I'm still unsure what to do with my life. I completed an online exam which generated a list of potential careers for me, based upon my talents. It told me to be a Mathematician, Astronomer, General Practitioner, or Research Scientist of some sort. All the results I've come up with have given me the same answer, over and over again. Even going by my MBTI (INTJ), one of these careers would be good for me.

The problem is: I have no clue what sort of scientist I'd want to be. The idea of working in a laboratory seems amazing to me, and I know there are a host of jobs in these fields... But you can't simply say you're going to be a "scientist". As my mother taught me very little of Biology, Chemistry, or any other high school-level science, I have no idea what jobs are even available in these fields. I'm planning to earn a doctorate degree in whatever I go into - but what kind of doctorate degree? How would I even begin to study what I missed in high school, all on my own?

I'm lost. Someone, give me directions, or I think I might become a toad.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Writer Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have two goals, they're polar opposites, and it's driving me INSANE. - October 14th 2014, 01:04 AM

In retrospect, maybe I should change the title of this to "Help, I have a goal, and have no idea what to do to get to it," lol.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: I have two goals, they're polar opposites, and it's driving me INSANE. - October 14th 2014, 01:27 AM

If you wish to be a scientist, quantum theory, astrophysics, quantum physics, rocket propulsion, ion propulsion, nuclear physics, and antimatter physics are all booming fields. In my opinion, ion propulsion would be the most exciting, given current developments. Also, this would enable you to help put a human colony on mars, though I believe you will miss the first such colony as it is planned to launch in 2024.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: I have two goals, they're polar opposites, and it's driving me INSANE. - October 14th 2014, 03:43 AM

26 isn't bad at all for the ACT. I think the national average is like a 23 ( at least it was 4 years ago ).

Scientific jobs involve a high amount of analytical thinking and organization. I'd like to imagine that scientists are dedicated and interested in what suits them.

Could you take a college level science class anywhere? I recommend biology, chemistry or physics. These courses generally point to different career paths and you should find your strong points. A PhD is important in the sciences but not extraordinarily necessary. Although I do recommend it.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#5 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: I have two goals, they're polar opposites, and it's driving me INSANE. - October 14th 2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovisedStarlight View Post
26 isn't bad at all for the ACT. I think the national average is like a 23 ( at least it was 4 years ago ).

Scientific jobs involve a high amount of analytical thinking and organization. I'd like to imagine that scientists are dedicated and interested in what suits them.

Could you take a college level science class anywhere? I recommend biology, chemistry or physics. These courses generally point to different career paths and you should find your strong points. A PhD is important in the sciences but not extraordinarily necessary. Although I do recommend it.
I'd also like to stress the importance of forethought should you perdue a theoretical field. I was once interested in Pershing a career in science in order to develop a better form of nuclear energy (I've already developed the concept). My idea is quite revolutionary as it would have the potential to allow zero-emissions nuclear energy with enough power for just one reactor to power an entire continent. However, as I developed the concept further I began to realize the potential that it had for weaponization. This idea has since made me reconsider and change my career plans quite a bit. Always make sure your work in science benefits mankind and that mankind is prepared for anything your work could introduce.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I have two goals, they're polar opposites, and it's driving me INSANE. - October 14th 2014, 10:26 AM

A career in science sounds awesome! My dad used to work as a lab technician in a local university and my mum works in a pharmacy, but Iím hoping to be a teacher

I recommend trying to learn a bit more about science, in general, first before you make a decision. As Kat said, biology, chemistry and physics lead to different career paths- would it be possible to take a college course first?

Once you have found out which science you are more interested in, the next step would be to seriously consider it for a career. You could then do research into different universities and the courses they offer and see which ones you would be most interested in studying and what careers they lead to. Once you decide on that, the next thing would be to make sure you meet the entrance requirements e.g. do they require specific grades? You may also need some work experience and this could be in the form of voluntary work, perhaps in a place related to science e.g a pharmacy. Would you be comfortable moving out again or would you prefer staying closer to home?

You donít necessarily need a Ph.D. to get a career in science- but if you want one then go for it!

Sorry to hear about your financial situation though. I hate the fact that tuition fees and loans are so expensive, as this stops quite a lot of people from continuing with their education. Do you have a part time job? Saving some money, no matter how small, is always good. Choosing a local university would help to cut the cost down a bit. Iím not sure on where you are, but here in the UK if students take out loans, they canít begin to pay it back until they are earning at least £21,000 and if after 25 years it isnít paid off, it simply gets written off. Could you talk to other students, or universities and see how they manage? My university had a Ďfinancial contingency fundí to help students if they got stuck also, so that might be worth checking out.

If you end up feeling not sure about what to do in general- you arenít alone. Many young adults feel the same and indeed there are older adults that have changed career path midway. Perhaps you could write a list of what interests you the most, then write pros and cons about for each item. Then itís just a matter of working out how to get there.

Hope I helped a bit!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Writer Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have two goals, they're polar opposites, and it's driving me INSANE. - October 14th 2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWelshWolf View Post
A career in science sounds awesome! My dad used to work as a lab technician in a local university and my mum works in a pharmacy, but I’m hoping to be a teacher

I recommend trying to learn a bit more about science, in general, first before you make a decision. As Kat said, biology, chemistry and physics lead to different career paths- would it be possible to take a college course first?

Once you have found out which science you are more interested in, the next step would be to seriously consider it for a career. You could then do research into different universities and the courses they offer and see which ones you would be most interested in studying and what careers they lead to. Once you decide on that, the next thing would be to make sure you meet the entrance requirements e.g. do they require specific grades? You may also need some work experience and this could be in the form of voluntary work, perhaps in a place related to science e.g a pharmacy. Would you be comfortable moving out again or would you prefer staying closer to home?

You don’t necessarily need a Ph.D. to get a career in science- but if you want one then go for it!

[size=3][font=Calibri]I’m not sure on where you are, but here in the UK if students take out loans, they can’t begin to pay it back until they are earning at least £21,000 and if after 25 years it isn’t paid off, it simply gets written off.

Hope I helped a bit!
I definitely want a doctorate. With a doctorate, I'd be experienced enough to oversee a laboratory of some sort, which is what I'd like to do.

Unfortunately, the U.S. has no such program. Basically, after you graduate, you have six months to get a job. Even if you're not working in the field that you wanted to - even if you're barely making minimum wage - you have to pay the bill that comes every month. What's more, you have to put up personal belongings as collateral. When my dad went to college, he put up our car as collateral for the loan. He ended up having to drop out - because the government stopped paying him unemployment to support us all - and now, despite having truck driving training, logging training, and a semester's worth of A's, we're barely managing to keep our car. I.e., we're in a real hell of a spot financially, and it makes me afraid to even attempt college. After I finish college, who's to say I'd have a job, anywhere, except as a waitress - earning $2.50 an hour? That's about all a woman can get where I live. It's not even minimum wage, unless the tips make up for it.

Personally, if I knew the way to go about it, I'd leave the U.S. altogether... Which is another factor in my indecision about college: Whatever I study, it must be viable in another country without [much] further training, because I'm strongly considering leaving the U.S. after college. I don't like it here.

I'm pretty self-driven, and I have a lot of textbooks I've collected over the years laying around my bedroom. I know it's nowhere as good as a college course... But it's what I have for now. I wouldn't want to go into a major not knowing whether I'd be able to have a job afterward. That's financial suicide in West Virginia, considering the small job market we already have.

Closed Thread