TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jamdoughnut Offline
my other ride's a rainicorn
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jam

Crazy dream - July 1st 2015, 06:25 PM

Soooo i sort of have this crazy dream that i could be a musician....
i really cant do anything else right. I hate every subject in school, except for music.music is my life, it keeps me sane, and i cant really see myself doing anything else. I play the cello, and have for three years now, and i also sing.. Ive never been anything less than first chair in the orchestra, and i always have people telling me how good i play and how i have a beautiful voice. Of course i dont believe them. Im not good enough to do anything, and i dont know that ill ever be good enough. It scares me, because theres really nothing else for me to do, that im going to enjoy doing, if i dont get better and it dossnt work out im going to end up a failure. And i dont really have anybody who believes in me.... my mom obviously doesnt want me to study music and my brother already sees me as a failure. I have two cousins who tryed to make a living with their music, and both couldnt make it work either. What am i supposed to do? Im beginning to doubt myself.....
i want to pursue this, with all my heart, but whats the point if no one belives in me? Whats the point if its just gonna come crashing down? Every part of me wants to prove them wrong,but i dont even know if i can. I dont even know if i belive in myself anymore....
what do i do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
itsagoodlife7 Offline
okay..
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: just me

Re: Crazy dream - July 1st 2015, 07:21 PM

Listen jamari, dont worry too much about the future. wondering if you could make it and accomplish your dream is hard and scary. you love music right? so keep doing what you love. play that cello and those vocal cords. now your mom and brother are just concerned for your wellbeing, they want the best for you no doubt, but they may not understand the passion you have for music. pay more attention to those people that say u have a beautiful voice and how well u play, cuz they obviously have their heads on straight. please dont give up on that dream, because that dream is beautiful and i know you can achieve it. i know id love to hear you play and im sure there are alot of people who would back me on this one. so keep playing and never stop dreaming jamari, heaven knows we need more people like you out there.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Crazy dream - July 1st 2015, 08:23 PM

If you have the passion, which it seems like you do then go for it! It is also important to define success in your own words instead of what others think. Some people are happy with being an excellent cello player and having wonderful experiences with it and the fulfillment it brings. Others may define success with how much money it brings or if they went to a big name school or if they performed at Broadway, or if that field has good benefits for retirement. I'm not saying there's a right or wrong with any of these visions but it's important to have it defined by yourself, for yourself. Because after all it will be you who will live through your life experiences, no one else will.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Crazy dream - July 2nd 2015, 05:21 AM

Hi, Jamari!

Your dream isn't crazy. If you can dream it, you can achieve it. Many people think their dreams are impossible, but having that view will make a dream impossible. Apparently you're very talented and have a beautiful voice, I'd be happy to hear you play!

Have you asked your mother why she doesn't want you to study music? Perhaps she's worried because of how it turned out for your cousins? I imagine she just cares a lot and is concerned for you. But I understand how her lack of support would be discouraging to you. I suggest talking to her about this and taking time to get the point across to her that you're very passionate about music and it's what you truly want to do in your life.

Why does your brother already see you as a failure? You aren't a failure, I think you're really brave for wanting to do this. I know you're scared, but taking a risk and trying is the only way you'll get where you want to go. There'll be discouraging things and maybe setbacks along the way, but don't let that stop you. Go after your dreams, work hard for what matters to you so that you don't have any regrets later on.

Just because it didn't work out for your cousins doesn't mean that'll be the case for you. In the meantime, you could focus on your music class and also other subjects that go towards your education just so that your education is more secure while working towards your dreams. Could you talk to your music teachers at school for advice and explaining that being a musician is a dream you want to work towards? I'm sure they would be happy to offer encouragement and advice to you.

You seem very passionate towards music as you're great at it and enjoy it so much, so go for it, Jamari. Listen to the people in your life who are encouraging you and reminding you of your talent, and always remind yourself to believe in yourself. Along with that, keep in mind that us here at TeenHelp believe in you, okay? You have our support. Being able to dream is a beautiful thing, and you have the power to make your dreams a reality. You can do this if you put your heart and effort into it, don't doubt that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kav

Re: Crazy dream - July 2nd 2015, 06:00 AM

Hey Jamari,

The only thing between our dream and it becoming true, is the negative attitude that we won't be able to do it. Many people think their dreams are impossible and almost always this negative feeling stops them from working towards achieving their dreams.

I am sorry you have had to face such negative reactions from your family. Maybe you could talk to your mom and ask her why she doesn't want you to study music. Most parents tend to worry a lot about their child's future because they want them to be successful. Maybe you could talk to your mom and tell her how you need her support because her lack of it, is discouraging you. It is possible that the experience your cousins had might be the reason your mother doesn't want you to pursue music. But, not everybody has the same fate. Just because they weren't successful in their music careers, doesn't mean you won't be. If you can talk to your mother and convince your mother about your love and passion for music, I think she will be more supportive.

Why does your brother think you are a failure? You have played the cello for three years, you sing, you have people praise you for your voice. You are talented! Don't let anybody make you think otherwise. Maybe once you talk to your mother and have her support, you both can together stop your brother from saying things that discourage you. I have learnt music (traditional to my country but anyways) and have performed solo and in groups. One thing I can tell you is people would not praise you unless you deserve it.

I understand your passion for music and I also understand that you are scared about how your future will turn out. Nobody knows how their future is going to be, nobody knows what is in store. A lot of people dream and say dreams come true, but dreams do not come true unless you work towards making them true. You could ask your music teacher to guide you and advice you about working towards your dream. Don't give up Jamari, continue practicing, continue singing and one day I am sure your dream will become a reality.

Everyone faces negativity in life, they come across people whose sole purpose in life is to put down others. Don't let such people get in the way of achieving your dream. Don't let people pull you down. Don't let what others say, stop you from believing yourself and your ability to make your dream come true. You have a dream and you have the power to make your dream come true. Don't stop believing in yourself. You have our support and you will always have it. <3

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
jamdoughnut Offline
my other ride's a rainicorn
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jam

Re: Crazy dream - July 2nd 2015, 02:54 PM

Thanks guys

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Crazy dream - July 6th 2015, 05:49 AM

Hey there Jamari!

Your dream isn't crazy and you should definitely follow them! If you love music and you feel that you are good at it, following them is the only way to get what you want.

You can ask your Music teacher/s to help you and to give you feedback so you can get even better then what you are.

Keep going and you'll be able to achieve what you want!

Closed Thread