TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Drivers license - November 22nd 2015, 01:12 AM

Well I am almost in my mid-20s and don't have my license yet . I didn't seriously try to learn until like a couple months before college and then it was too late to get my license. Now that I've graduated, I've now been learning to drive for a year and though I could probably drive across the state- I still cannot park to save my life. I don't see how people make a 90 degree turn into a 5 foot wide space between 2 cars and not hit anything. Its ridiculous. When I went to driving school- they had me use a formula to park the car. Line the mirror up with the cones and turn. Well I guess I learned the hard way that every car is different and that formula only works for their particular car. I can't park my family's car right on the test. I've been practicing and practicing and still getting it wrong- I would think that I'd eventually have an epiphany and "learn the feel of it", but its not happening. Its not like riding a bike- its not coming to me at all. There is just too many variables -you gotta calculate how much distance you have to the parking spot, how far you are to the left/right,etc. and you just gotta have a feeling for it. Its gotten to the point where I wonder if I'll ever get my license. Someday, life is going to move on -I'll get a full time job and move out - and have to rely on public transportation.

I really hate how driving seems to be something everyone does, but I still can't do it. Makes me feel like I'm slow or something. What's a girl going to say when I tell her that she is going to have to do the driving because I can't drive? Is she going to think that I'm some loser who will never be independent?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Drivers license - November 22nd 2015, 01:45 AM

I'm terrible at parking too. The good news is you can fail it on your driving test and still pass. I still refuse to parallel park, I will drive and park further if it means I can avoid it. I wouldn't worry too much, a lot of people have trouble with parking too, especially parallel parking. Honestly I haven't found myself in situations where I had to except for a couple of times and I've been driving for five years now.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Drivers license - November 22nd 2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumoirous View Post
I'm terrible at parking too. The good news is you can fail it on your driving test and still pass. I still refuse to parallel park, I will drive and park further if it means I can avoid it. I wouldn't worry too much, a lot of people have trouble with parking too, especially parallel parking. Honestly I haven't found myself in situations where I had to except for a couple of times and I've been driving for five years now.
I've failed the test more than once for simply failing to park. Here if you hit the cones, the test is automatically over. Parallel parking isn't tested though.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Drivers license - November 22nd 2015, 02:57 AM

I'm 22 and I still don't know how to drive, like at all.

I was going to try to learn a couple of years ago but I got freaked out and got off the road.

No one is going to think you're a loser. It's okay not to know how to drive, at least in my opinion.

My fiancé knows how to drive and she hates parallel parking, but she's gotten better at it. Just keep practicing parking and you'll get it eventually.

Good luck!!

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

Closed Thread