TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,751, Level: 33 Points: 55,751, Level: 33 Points: 55,751, Level: 33

Leaving school - January 3rd 2018, 10:32 AM

Two weeks before Christmas I wrote a Geography test and it went well. However, a week later my class was supposed to write it again, because the teacher had lost our tests, but I didn't write it for the second time since I was sick.
Yesterday I learned that people who didn't write it twice would have to answer the questions on the class forum today. I panicked and I told my Mum I didn't want to go. Each time a teacher asks me publicly I forget everything I know and I can't speak and I'm on the verge of tears.
I wanted to visit the school counsellor, but the one I know was absent and I was afraid to visit a different one.
So I left school and came home. My Mum texted me and she's probably going to call, but I'm extremely terrified of talking to her. I know she'll be furious.
I don't know what to do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Leaving school - January 3rd 2018, 03:18 PM

Hey there,

I am not 100% certain where you are located but I know, in the USA, schools are required to try and accommodate students to a degree. They tend to be more accommodating when you have a education plan set up but I haven't had a lot of issues with them being hesitant without a current plan. Something that you might be able to do is reach out to your teacher and let them know what happened; it might be possible to do so via email as well. If you are not located in the USA it might be worth it to see if your mom would be willing to set up an appointment with your teacher and guidance counselor to figure out how to help you succeed and feel better at school.

I know you are nervous about talking to your mom but I am sure she will want to try and help you. It is possible that she will be upset, at first, but once the two of you talk she might calm down.

Please hang in there. I know school can be difficult and I know that it can be even more difficult when the teachers and other staff don't understand the things that are going on.

Best regards.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Leaving school - January 4th 2018, 06:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you struggle with speaking up in class. When I was at school, I was similar, so I understand what you are going through.

Something that I learnt that might be of some comfort to you is that even if you don't answer, or say you don't know the answer, or you get the answer wrong, as horrible as it may feel in that moment, it's usually quickly forgotten by everyone else.

Maybe you could try seeing if or when the counsellor is back? It's definitely worth talking about with a counsellor, especially if it's causing you to avoid school and getting in the way of your life.

As for your mom, we can't say how she'll react, and maybe she will react negatively, but it may be that she doesn't understand how it feels for you. As it's been said above, it is worth talking to your mom about this too- you deserve all the support you can get

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread