TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Moving Colleges - June 4th 2018, 05:41 AM

Hey guys!

So In the fall I transfer from a community college to a university. I am super super super nervous. Little background story about me. I originally went to University straight out of High school and I spent one semester there and I failed all but one class ( and if we are being honest, I am not sure how I passed that one). I had stopped taking my medications, was severely depressed and was not getting out of bed to go to my classes or work and ended up withdrawing from the college. I went home and ended up in the Psych hospital. Once I was discharged I moved in with some family friends to have a fresh start, I got a job, and a second job, and I enrolled in 16 credit hours of classes and I felt great except then I got really overwhelmed and I ended up back in the hospital for a longer stay this time and ended up failing all my classes.

Fast Forward a little over a year: I went back to school, I really had my head in the right place this time, but I got pregnant and ended up on bed rest and was not able to attend classes because I was walking to and from campus and it was the middle of winter. I again failed my classes ( because I never learned how to withdraw from my classes). I was then put on academic suspension for one year. Which take it as a blessing or a curse, I was pregnant so it worked out okay.

2 year ago last week I went back full force, I knew that as a single mom I needed to get my act in gear and go back to school so that my little guy and I could stop living paycheck to paycheck and have a better life for us. So I went back to school. I wanted to be a social worker, I always have been. I have changed my major a few times along the way, but I always come back to where I started. So I went with it. I decided that one day I want to own a non-profit eating disorder clinic. There isn't a lot of great treatment options in MI as far as residential goes and a lot less that are available to people without great insurance or someone to pay for it out of pocket, and I would like to change that.

In a couple weeks here I will be finishing up my final semester at the community college. I drug my GPA up from a 0.83 to above a 3.0 in two years and I got accepted to the university of my dreams. Orientation is the 22nd, but I just can't shake this feeling like I am going to fail when I start this new chapter, I am nervous I know that, but I just I need to do well for my son and I, and I just can't shake this feeling. Will the nerves go away?

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are
LHO|PM|VM
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Moving Colleges - June 4th 2018, 03:49 PM

Congratulations on getting into university! I also really admire your goal of one day owning your own non-profit eating disorder clinic- that's fantastic and definitely something worth aiming for!

You've worked hard, had setbacks and changes of plans along the way, so it's understandable that you would feel the pressure to do well and yet worry that you will fail. In general, I think many people worry about failing things, especially if it means a lot to them, and some find that with time and becoming confident in your abilities, this worry does lessen. Take the time to acknowledge how far you've come and that whatever happens, you will get through it (because you've already dealt with some difficult times in the past!)

Best of luck

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Moving Colleges - June 7th 2018, 11:48 AM

Congratulations. You should be so proud of yourself for all that you've accomplished. Your concerns about failing are probably common since you did have some struggles when you attempted school in the past. However, you've done phenomenal since then so you will probably continue to do well. Just take it one day at a time and do what you can to enjoy your classes. It sounds like you have a dream about what you'd like to do with your degree so on the hard days maybe focus on that.

Best regards and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread