TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fuzzy wuzzy <3's you
Not a n00b

Name: Lillian (Lilli)

Long Term Goals! Opinions? - July 14th 2018, 07:46 AM

It's been a while since I've posted a thread, or even logged in. I just wanted to touch base with anyone who has supported me in the past, and ask for opinions. So, a year & a half ago I moved with my kids & husband back to Missouri (closer to my husbands family), and had a job lined up for me when I moved here working in a Nursing Home as a Dietary Aid. Which is exactly what I was doing before I moved here. I was also going to be making the same pay, and working the same hours & schedule. I didn't hold that job very long, but I gathered some important info that I used to my benefit me in the long run. I didn't work all summer last summer because I was just living off of the money I had saved up from my previous job. Plus, my husband was making good money working his own business. We lived in that apartment for 13 or 14 months, and then moved to our current one. When I moved there I had SO MANY goals. I wanted to live there for at least year, and in that time frame wanted to get my CNA License, and possibly my GED. I wanted to find a school for my kids, and wanted to buy a house (haven't been able to buy a house yet, but had to move for my kids' school). I wanted to get my sons last name changed, and find a good church here for us to become part of. (still in the process of the name change). I also wanted to get to know people here, and basically all in all I just wanted to RE-BUILD our lives. Ultimately that's what we did. Anyways, I went to CNA classes from October 2nd of last year to November 16th. For that time my older son went to work with my husband, and he had a work partner come along to help him, and our younger son went to daycare. I ended up quitting shortly after I became certified because there was a 30 day non mandatable period. Which meant after that 30 days was up I was going to be mandated all the time ( working double shifts). I had no idea what I would have done for childcare if I was working 16 hour shifts. So, I just ended up quitting. I couldn't find a nursing home near me that didn't have mandate system. I wanted to work home health care, but that meant I would have to work days, and not evenings which meant my husband wouldn't be able to watch the boys. So, I was waiting until this fall when my older son goes to school, and I get my younger son back in daycare. After I quit that job I fell into this depression. I gained 30 lbs in only a few months. So, from December until now I've felt really bad about my life in general. Not in some kind of dramatic, and tragic way. But, it feels like everyone else is always announcing all these new journeys & adventures (my friend that's in college, and doing Kaleo this summer, or my friend who's now a new foster mom), and i'm just sitting here with my previously met short term goals. I feel low about my self, and my life. So, I've been brainstorming about things that would benefit my life. I've always had this dream to move to Hawaii, and since I can't just up & move. I was thinking between now, and next summer i'm going to work really hard on saving money, and possibly getting my GED (still haven't been able to do that despite getting my CNA License). So, that next summer I can go to Hawaii, and take the CNA classes there. Even though I have my CNA License here it isn't valid in any other state. Then, we could take vacations to Hawaii. But, could also be a Hawaii CNA. So that I could go there for a few months at a time through the summer, and still have some income. So, like a stay-cation. Like not entirely moving, but not just vacationing. I also told my husband that I would want to help him do well with his paint business too. So, that he could still thrive, and do well also. I started looking into it tonight. It's still up in the air, and nothing is even the least bit official yet. Any advice? Is this a bad idea?

~~you doubted me then, but look at me now~~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Long Term Goals! Opinions? - July 20th 2018, 10:37 PM

Sorry you haven't got a reply yet!

I think your plans to save, get your GED and eventually move to Hawaii are awesome! It's more than okay if things aren't finalised as often things may change or there may be unexpected situations to deal with.

I also notice that you tend to compare your life to your friends and I want to say that even though it's good to set goals and reach them, everyone is on a different path for their own lives. You may have hit a bit of a plateau in your life, but that's also okay!

Best of luck with your goals

HelpLINK Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread