TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   What did you want to be/do when you grew up? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t37023-what-did-you-want-do-when-you-grew-up/)

Ngikhona February 9th 2010 08:15 AM

What did you want to be/do when you grew up?

The title says it all. :p

I honestly didn't really have any aspirations as a child. XD I know all my friends would talk about how they wanted to be a rock star or musician, but I just figured I was a kid and never really thought about it. :p

noise94 February 9th 2010 10:43 AM

Re: What did you want to be/do when you grew up?

I always, always, always wanted to be a primary school teacher. Now I have zero desire to be one. :p

Kiralachesis February 9th 2010 12:43 PM

Many people laugh at this, but i want to move over to Japan, i love everything Japanese, i am learning the language and want to take English A level and a teaching course so maybe i can teach English there :)

iDream February 9th 2010 01:20 PM

I wanted to be an actress/model/singer/artist/teacher/astronaut/chef/veterinarian/fire fighter. I was very ambitious as a kid, I guess, 'cause now I don't want to be any of these. xD

.Brittany. February 9th 2010 07:46 PM

I changed what I wanted to be a lot.

Kindergarten I wanted to be a Teacher
Grade 3 I wanted to be a Paramedic, then I was hampered with my knee injury.
Grade 6 I wanted to be a Firefighter.
Grade 9 I was stuck between wanting to be a Child and youth worker, and an educational assistant. I'm still to this day drawn between the too, I have started taking courses in both.

I think I'm leaning towards child and youth worker though. :)

obelus February 9th 2010 07:51 PM

When I was younger, I never really knew what I wanted to do. I just knew I wanted to travel.
Which, still seems to be what I want to do, but I still am not sure what I actually want to do.
How much sense I just made is probably close to zero. :bleh:

her_beautiful_mistake February 9th 2010 09:29 PM

A farmer until I was like 10... then a doctor. And now a doctor. And I'm going to be a doctor, so yay?

Freakshow February 10th 2010 01:46 AM

I'd ALWAYS wanted to be a lawyer and published author. (My mom even has a clip of me at age 5 saying this!) I am currently still pursuing that dream, although you may throw "freelance language translator" up on the list as well. :)

EightEleven91 February 10th 2010 02:00 AM

Never been sure, thats basically why I havent achieved anything useful now :( But now I just want to concentrate on becoming a manager or atleast a respected worker :)

Nymous February 10th 2010 12:58 PM

I always wanted to be doctor/nurse/ambulancer/humansaver/worldsaver/lawyer/firefighter/actress/batman/danceress (I never even danced)/journalist/social assistent/soldier/underofficer/social worker/person-who-works-with-teenagers-in-prison/teacher/singer.
Well, that was much. Now, I want to be lawyer or nurse or interpreter in Russian and English.

Doodle. February 10th 2010 02:09 PM

I wanted to be a vet, I have no desire to be one at all now. Now I have no bloody clue what I want to do :/

thisiscourtney February 10th 2010 02:31 PM

I had this really deranged idea that it was possible for me to be Barbie. That was pretty much my life dream. Hasn't changed much.

Around the age of 12 I also got really into tattooing. Even though that will probably never work out seeing as I kind of suck at drawing.

Life would be pretty awesome, though, as tattoo artist Barbie.

My plan B job would have to be teaching, and possibly getting certified to teach the hearing-impaired. I'm teaching myself sign language, so we'll see how that goes.

her_beautiful_mistake February 10th 2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisiscourtney (Post 323756)
I had this really deranged idea that it was possible for me to be Barbie. That was pretty much my life dream. Hasn't changed much.

Around the age of 12 I also got really into tattooing. Even though that will probably never work out seeing as I kind of suck at drawing.

Life would be pretty awesome, though, as tattoo artist Barbie.

My plan B job would have to be teaching, and possibly getting certified to teach the hearing-impaired. I'm teaching myself sign language, so we'll see how that goes.

Closest thing to being a barbie would be a playboy bunny. Go for it..

Ellie February 10th 2010 03:14 PM

I always wanted to be a builder, but I think that was more because I wanted a blue transit van with my name written in white down the side. I still want this though and I think I'll work to get one whether I'm a builder or not.

Pelios February 10th 2010 05:25 PM

My dream job was to be an astronaut :p

ThePunkAlien February 10th 2010 11:34 PM

I am probably going to get laughed at - but, fuck it - Taxi Driver... yeah, have no fucking idea why I chose that on "what do you want to be?" day in kindergarden. Luckily, I'm a screenwriter/song writer now and by the way things are headed - should have my first film on the silver screen in a couple of years.

Bean February 11th 2010 02:59 AM

Between the ages of 5-12 I desperatly wanted to be the postlady.

Music February 11th 2010 03:00 AM

When I was in Jr.High I wanted to be an electrician :bleh:
Guess what I am now? An electrician :p

Zyzz February 11th 2010 03:17 AM

for me most of my childhood i wanted to be in the army. lol. but at 16 i changed that cos i got political and had no desire to be in the army. after that i wanted to be a chef, then a rockstar, them lawyer, doctor, but now i am going to settle with becoming a magician. im working towards also getting a degree in business now. but i might just go as a magician after i get that degree. lol.

anony mouse. February 11th 2010 04:00 AM

I had desperate dreams of being an artist. I got my mum to buy me an easel and everything but I only ever painted on it once or twice. In Grade Two, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I literally read up on it and made a little portfolio and everything. Then I realized I couldn't draw and was pretty much drawing pictures of my mum's outfits in it. :P I am so cool.

Guile February 11th 2010 05:13 AM

Working on becoming a lawyer as we speak.

Xujhan February 11th 2010 06:28 AM

I want to be now the same thing I have for years and years. A husband and a father. :)

thisiscourtney February 11th 2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake (Post 323778)
Closest thing to being a barbie would be a playboy bunny. Go for it..

Haha, three reasons that plan would totally not work:

1. I'm probably nowhere near tall enough.
2. I refuse to get naked for anyone.
3. My dad would kill me.

Nymous February 11th 2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisiscourtney (Post 324604)
Haha, three reasons that plan would totally not work:

1. I'm probably nowhere near tall enough.
2. I refuse to get naked for anyone.
3. My dad would kill me.

Noooo... you must be kidding...

I just remember this: there has been a whole time I really wanted to become a builder. I mean, not an architect or something, but those half-naked guys who are building and who like to look the girls in the summer. Those guys. Right, I'm a girl. But I really dreamed of being one of them. :nosweat:

Also, in primary school, I always played police-man and thief with my friends. I always had to be the policeman, but I nearly never catched them. In that period, I really dreamed of being a policeman. But one moment, I didn't like it anymore because I never catched one of them, so I changed my mind. I wanted to become... a thief. :hehe: (don't worry, guys, I never stole anything)

Penguin Queen February 11th 2010 09:03 PM

For a long time I wanted to be a multi millionaire author, who by day worked as a zoo keeper, but I'd wear a wig so no one would know it was me.

Katie Lydia February 11th 2010 09:30 PM

I wanted to be an actress or one of those people that peform at SeaWorld with the dolphins and whales lol!

Magical Forest. February 11th 2010 10:49 PM

I remember wanting to be a singer, an actress, an author, stopping cruelty to animals...

losing touch. February 12th 2010 02:26 AM

i wanted to be a teacher and i still haven't written off the idea. also, i used to want to be a pilot. :)

Chaos Theory February 12th 2010 04:33 AM

I want to be an engineer or scientist when I was young. And now, I am pursuing the path of a chemical engineer, and I am starting my researching career as a research assistant couple weeks ago.

Ngikhona February 12th 2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelowZero (Post 324961)
I want to be an engineer or scientist when I was young. And now, I am pursuing the path of a chemical engineer, and I am starting my researching career as a research assistant couple weeks ago.

That's sweet you're going into chemical engineering! My sister's husband is a chemical engineer. It can get you a lot of sweet jobs. :p

sonic February 12th 2010 07:15 AM

I must say, I wanted to be a singer, or a nurse.

Im auditioning for NZ idol, and starting mu nurse training monday.

Guess it all worked out ok in the end :D

Kokoro February 12th 2010 05:23 PM

I wanted to be a vet. :? No idea why.. I don't now, I'd be scared of getting bitten or something, animals except doggies scare me.

At one point I wanted to be a teacher, thought it'd be cool but I'm too shy to stand up infront of so many people.

Now I want to be a Paramedic or a Police officer :)

Chaos Theory February 13th 2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeley (Post 324962)

That's sweet you're going into chemical engineering! My sister's husband is a chemical engineer. It can get you a lot of sweet jobs. :p

I hope so too. I am a first year student and the work is already quite demanding. My TA is wicked brutal in grading my assignment o.O But I suppose engineers can't be sloppy with their work. Hoping after 4 years, I will land on a good grad school, then I can reach high with my career.

LittleFish February 14th 2010 06:57 PM

I wanted to be a queen, an astronaut, the president, an Irish Dancer, a director, a painter, and a pilot. Then I found music composing and writing and decided to keep working on those. I have a feeling I can stick to them.

Melody Pond February 14th 2010 08:17 PM

I wanted to be a lot of things. My brother is 5 years older than me and was starting to consider his future seriously and I would usually pick something related to what he picked.

He wanted to be an air traffic controller - I wanted to be an air hostess
He wanted to be a Dentist - I wanted to be a dental nurse
He wanted to be a Doctor - I wanted to be a nurse.

Funny things is now he is in Uni studying Medicine and I have applied for Uni to be a Diagnostic Radiographer so in the end we will end up in related careers :)

Loving Linux Penguin February 14th 2010 08:21 PM

I just don't know. I had a different dream job about ever week when I was younger XD.

I'm keeping the possibilities open. I'm thinking about being a radio Djay, actor, musician, doctor, and teacher.

DeletedAccount69 February 16th 2010 01:22 AM

Teacher.

I am not sure about now. I am flip flopping now. I have always wanted to be a teacher because I think that there is a chance to help kids and reach them and let them know that life does not have to be bad.

However, I like psychology.

But, the more I think about it the more I know that my reason for ignoring my dream of becoming a teacher was because I never wanted to get in front of a bunch of kids and be called names. (I am so weird :bleh:) However, now I think I really do want to be a teacher. I am just not 100% sure what year I want to teach. Either High school or 5th or 6th? I am not sure!!

Unicorn. February 19th 2010 11:39 AM

I've always fancied journalism :p I don't think I'd have the patience though.

Right now, I want to be a teacher/psycologist/astronaut.
It can work. Legit.

bitesize February 19th 2010 12:30 PM

When I was small I wanted to be an artist. :p
Since I was eleven I've come to realise I want to be a primary school teacher, but to be honest acting and psychology are both suuuch appealing careers..

Spontaneous Smile February 20th 2010 05:17 AM

When I was 4 I wanted to be a Doctor. When I was 6 I wanted to be an artist. When I was 8 I wanted to be a singer. When I was 10 or something I decided I wanted to be a vet. Now I want to be an artist again and I want to get into the medical field again. Lol