TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Suicide Awareness and Prevention - October 28th 2010, 01:38 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Today, I've made two huge decisions. Number one: I am never committing suicide, and I'm going to stop cutting. Number two: I want to help increase suicide awareness.

My county does this program called Every 15 Minutes to help students realize the dangers involved with drinking and driving. They stage a mock crash in the parking lot, and then every 15 minutes, they pull students out of classrooms to statistically represent how often people die in alcohol-related car accidents. That's what they did yesterday.

Today, the students who participated read letters that they had written to their parents, pretending that they had died in a drunk driving crash but had a chance to write to their parents before they died. The parents also wrote letters saying goodbye to their children. I thought it was going to be a cheesy and fake thing. But it hit a nerve. Seeing those parents up there, crying and talking about how much they love their children and can't believe they'll never be able to hold them again. It made me realize what a huge impact it would have on my friends and family if I killed myself. I can't do that to them, no matter how much pain I'm experiencing. I'll find another way to deal with it, because after watching those parents, friends, and siblings cry (over a simulation, no less), I can't bring myself to do something so devastating to the people I love. And so I've decided that no matter what, I'm not going to kill myself.

I've also decided that I want to help increase suicide awareness. Suicide is such a taboo subject, and it seems everyone's just kind of kicking it under the rug because it's too deep and heavy. But that's the thing. It's an issue that needs to be addressed. And I think if more people understood suicide and the ignorance associated with suicide were at least diminished, then maybe it would happen less often. The assembly today made a huge impact on me. And I think if something like this made a difference for me, it could make a difference for someone else, too. So I'm going to write a letter to some of the school board members. I'm going to try and find a sponsor. Because let's face it: suicide is a heavy subject, and it is scary, but finding new ways to prevent it would be more than worth it to save someone's life. I know it isn't going to be easy, and I know people will probably be apprehensive and uncertain at first. But people need to realize that you can't run away from what you're afraid of, and it's time that they stopped keeping teens and children in the dark about suicide. Someone needs to turn on the light and open their eyes. Maybe I won't be the one to open their eyes, but I'm not giving up until the lights are on.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Suicide Awareness and Prevention - October 28th 2010, 03:43 AM

That's great!

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Suicide Awareness and Prevention - October 28th 2010, 03:52 AM

That's so great that you've set these goals. It's true--suicide is a taboo topic. And the truth is it's so normal nowadays that there IS no reason to be uncomfortable about talking about it. It's just a completely normal and natural human issue, as is sex. And the very taboo is definitely part of the problem--when people are suicidal they are super uncomfortable talking about it usually, if that discomfort was minimized or eliminated somehow, it could make a BIG difference.

I'd say have some program where people who've been suicidal before talk, doctors talk, parents who have lost their kids talk, show a powerpoint, etc. Just my two cents

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Suicide Awareness and Prevention - October 29th 2010, 03:16 PM

The fact that you've set these goals and decided to leave that misery behind, learn from it and attempt to help others with it is absolutely fantastic.
Great job on becoming a great person.

One million miles away...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Suicide Awareness and Prevention - October 30th 2010, 01:07 AM

That is so amazing!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: Suicide Awareness and Prevention - October 30th 2010, 03:35 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm so excited about this, and I really hope that I can make a difference or at least start something. I never thought I'd find something that I'd be really passionate about like this, but now I think I've found not only a motivation to help but a powerful reason to live.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Suicide Awareness and Prevention - November 5th 2010, 03:20 AM

This is so wonderful!
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
Closed Thread