TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlackHawkDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Santa Claus

I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 01:06 PM

thinking about the Army makes me wish i had a purpose in life, helping fight the war on terrorism, helping your brothers, leaving no man behind, not being a hero, hero isnt by choice but by accident, i want to serve this great country!, and im thinking of applying, good decision ?.. ive wanted this since i was young.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 01:15 PM

There is one thing I have to say about the army. While I am more informed on the English Army I am sure this works across them all. Depending on what job you are given you may have to kill someone and you may be killed yourself. My cousin has killed and has had her fiancée killed in front of her. It is not glamorous it is not like the movies, it is destruction and pain. It is dangerous and it is a brutal lifestyle (fitness wise).

However if you have really looked in depth at this than I say go for it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BlackHawkDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 01:21 PM

i have looked into it, i know it gruesome, ive had mates and family die in war, i know i could die, but id happily do that to serve my country and fight along side my brothers, i want a purpose in life, and for me this is it, i know i may have to kill someone, but thats part of it, i know it will be hard but its a challenge for me and i think i have what it takes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkDown View Post
i have looked into it, i know it gruesome, ive had mates and family die in war, i know i could die, but id happily do that to serve my country and fight along side my brothers, i want a purpose in life, and for me this is it, i know i may have to kill someone, but thats part of it, i know it will be hard but its a challenge for me and i think i have what it takes.
How can you be so sure though? To kill someone is something you cannot really comprehend until you do it. I think a good poem to look at might be "Dulce et decorum est". It may be a little old but I think that the army is a very serious decision that should not be taken lightly in any sense. I get the feeling you don't take it lightly but you seem to shrug off killing something with confidence you can handle it. Many people who have taught that have been unpleasantly surprised. I admire your patriotism but to die for your country in my opinion is slightly too much I mean there is so much more you can do for your country. War is one of the few things in life that involves the deaths of people to impart change, so many other things in life do more for people than war ever will.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BlackHawkDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Wings View Post
How can you be so sure though? To kill someone is something you cannot really comprehend until you do it. I think a good poem to look at might be "Dulce et decorum est". It may be a little old but I think that the army is a very serious decision that should not be taken lightly in any sense. I get the feeling you don't take it lightly but you seem to shrug off killing something with confidence you can handle it. Many people who have taught that have been unpleasantly surprised. I admire your patriotism but to die for your country in my opinion is slightly too much I mean there is so much more you can do for your country. War is one of the few things in life that involves the deaths of people to impart change, so many other things in life do more for people than war ever will.
Well condisering i have lost family and friends to those out in afghan and iraq, my instict would take over, i would think of them, and it would build my confidence, i know saying this now cant prove anything until it comes to when you have to do it, but i think id be able to do it given the oppotunity, plus its something i enjoy thats why i would die for the country.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 04:51 PM

Really, the best thing you can do is go to your local recruiting station and speak with some of the recruiters about the different branches. Don't limit yourself to the army - speak with all of them. Even though you're only 16, it's never to early to start thinking about it and gathering some crucial information.
You'll also want to sit your parents down and talk with them about what your ambitions are. Make sure you've thought about exactly what you want to say and how you want to approach it.

Joining the armed forces is certainly an admirable thing and can give you a very purpose-driven life. My fiance joined the US Navy and my brother joined the USMC. In both instances, it gave them something to strive for and a strength and confidence in themselves that I had never seen before. Both of them are SO proud to be in the military, and although the risks are high, I don't think either of them would have it any other way.

I'm not about to tell you, "You could die so don't do it." I know you already know that. What I will do is encourage you to look at the risks and the benefits and make sure you feel the benefits are worth the risk. Do some research, talk to those currently serving and ask them what the hardest parts of the job are, then really reflect on them and see if it's something you feel ready for. Think about what YOU want from the military and discover which branch would be the best for you based on that. You have some time to think it over, and before you decide to go for it, I want to make sure that you're as ready as you can be because it is a HUGE decision.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BlackHawkDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gregory House View Post
Really, the best thing you can do is go to your local recruiting station and speak with some of the recruiters about the different branches. Don't limit yourself to the army - speak with all of them. Even though you're only 16, it's never to early to start thinking about it and gathering some crucial information.
You'll also want to sit your parents down and talk with them about what your ambitions are. Make sure you've thought about exactly what you want to say and how you want to approach it.

Joining the armed forces is certainly an admirable thing and can give you a very purpose-driven life. My fiance joined the US Navy and my brother joined the USMC. In both instances, it gave them something to strive for and a strength and confidence in themselves that I had never seen before. Both of them are SO proud to be in the military, and although the risks are high, I don't think either of them would have it any other way.

I'm not about to tell you, "You could die so don't do it." I know you already know that. What I will do is encourage you to look at the risks and the benefits and make sure you feel the benefits are worth the risk. Do some research, talk to those currently serving and ask them what the hardest parts of the job are, then really reflect on them and see if it's something you feel ready for. Think about what YOU want from the military and discover which branch would be the best for you based on that. You have some time to think it over, and before you decide to go for it, I want to make sure that you're as ready as you can be because it is a HUGE decision.
Thanks very much for the info , also my mum doesn't mind, obviously she does, but she say's if its what you want to do im not stopping you, ive known i want to do this nearly my whole life . just working out what branch, i wanna be frontline though.

Last edited by BlackHawkDown; May 31st 2011 at 05:09 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - May 31st 2011, 10:35 PM

Heya!

I commend you on what you want to do for our country! It's a great thing. My boyfriend is currently serving in the Illinois National Guard as a 2nd Lieutenant.
Make sure you collect all the information you can before making any decisions. Just know, you won't be able to officially join until your around 17/18, and it will take some time before you actually get an assignment. You go through basic, and then AIT (this is for most branches if my memory serves correctly). Basic takes around 6 months to complete, and so does AIT, which is your job training.
If you want to be front line, you'd definitely want to either be considering Army or Marines. Air Force and Navy are obviously air and sea.
Just take the time to consider everything, and make the best choice for you!
I wish you the best of luck on your decision.
<3

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
shades Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anthony

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - June 1st 2011, 01:04 AM

Dude, make sure that this is what you really want to do. My friend joined the Air Force to get away from his family, and he always wanted to do it. Since then, he has tried to kill himself, is an alcoholic, heavy smoker, and takes the occasional speed, and has been arrested several times.

He's been beaten up by other people, and doesn't really have anyone to talk to.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BlackHawkDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - June 1st 2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony michael View Post
Dude, make sure that this is what you really want to do. My friend joined the Air Force to get away from his family, and he always wanted to do it. Since then, he has tried to kill himself, is an alcoholic, heavy smoker, and takes the occasional speed, and has been arrested several times.

He's been beaten up by other people, and doesn't really have anyone to talk to.
im very sorry to hear that, however ive never been drunk in my life cant stand the stuff sames goes for smoking never even touched a cigarett, and i hate being around the stuff lol. and drugs, well i dont see the point off, never took any in my life and ive sworn to my family i never will.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BlackHawkDown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I Wanna Join The Army! - June 1st 2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonPants View Post
Heya!

I commend you on what you want to do for our country! It's a great thing. My boyfriend is currently serving in the Illinois National Guard as a 2nd Lieutenant.
Make sure you collect all the information you can before making any decisions. Just know, you won't be able to officially join until your around 17/18, and it will take some time before you actually get an assignment. You go through basic, and then AIT (this is for most branches if my memory serves correctly). Basic takes around 6 months to complete, and so does AIT, which is your job training.
If you want to be front line, you'd definitely want to either be considering Army or Marines. Air Force and Navy are obviously air and sea.
Just take the time to consider everything, and make the best choice for you!
I wish you the best of luck on your decision.
<3
your boyfriend is a brave lad, be sure to treat him well
and thankyou for the info, im considering joining the marines, and i know there's alot of training involved, but i think im capable of doing it, and looking forward to it, i like a challenge, and i wanan be the best at what i become.

and thankyou for your support <3

Closed Thread