TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MBach528 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Just call me MB

April is Sexual Abuse Awareness and Prevention Month - April 7th 2013, 06:27 PM

Hi guys!

So, back in 2009, President Obama made April officially Sexual Abuse Awareness and Prevention month. This is a month to break the silence about this terrible crime.

Why Should You Care?
On average, about 44% of sexual abuse victims are under the age of 18 and about 80% of victims are under the age of 30

Every two minutes, somebody in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

Every year, there are about 207,754 victims of sexual assault

54% of assaults are never reported to the police

97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail

2/3 of rapes are committed by somebody the victim knows well

38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance of the victim

1 in every 6 American women has been or will be a victim of sexual assault - 14.8% is completed rape, 2.8% is attempted, but not completed, rape

7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 say they have been sexually abused

Victims of Sexual Assault are:
3 times more likely to suffer depression
6 times more likely to suffer post-traumatic stress disorder
13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
26 times more likely to abuse drugs
4 times more likely to contemplate suicide

What Can You Do?
BREAK THE SILENCE - if you have been sexually abused, report it to the police, so they can get one more rapist off the street. Tell your story (if and only if you are ready and comfortable to do so) to your school, local teen group, or wherever you can to get the word out. If you are NOT comfortable or ready, tell my story, (info on how to get there is below in the next step)

TELL A STORY - if you weren't sexually abused but you want to do something, talk to people you know about the story of someone you know who was sexually abused. If you don't know anyone, I am giving you my permission to use my story. You can find my story here: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-r...7864-my-story/

***WEAR A TEAL RIBBON - the teal ribbon is the symbol of Sexual Abuse Awareness and Prevention. Wear one - it will show people that you stand against sexual abuse. If somebody doesn't know what it means, tell them!

***MALES, WEAR A WHITE RIBBON - men and boys should wear a white ribbon to symbolize their efforts to end sexual violence, and their promise never to commit the crime themselves. Tell all the males you know to do this, as well.

FUNDRAISER - organize a fundraiser at your school. Sell teal ribbons and maybe have a bake sale. Then donate all the money raised to a rape crisis center, or an organization like RAINN.

SPREAD THE WORD LOCALLY - write a letter to your local newspaper, explaining the importance of this month.

***LET ME CLARIFY A BIT: THE TEAL RIBBON IS TO SYMBOLIZE THAT YOU ARE AGAINST SEXUAL VIOLENCE. THE WHITE RIBBON IS TO SHOW THAT YOU WILL NEVER COMMIT THE CRIME YOURSELF AND YOU WILL DO YOUR BEST TO PROTECT PEOPLE FROM BEING VICTIMIZED.

Victims especially should wear teal ribbons and men especially should wear white ribbon, but anybody can wear either color.

WHATEVER YOU CAN DO, DO IT!!!! LET'S WORK TOGETHER TO END SEXUAL ABUSE!!!

However, whatever you do, make sure it's safe. Please, if you know somebody who has sexually abused somebody in any way, do NOT confront the person, but report it to the police immediately. If you are in any immediate danger, call 911. Don't put yourself in unnecessary danger.

If anybody has any other ideas on how you can help, or any other reasons why you should care, please tell me!! All suggestions and ideas are welcome and encouraged!!!!

Last edited by MBach528; April 7th 2013 at 07:00 PM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: April is Sexual Abuse Awareness and Prevention Month - April 7th 2013, 11:15 PM

This is a sensitive and painful topic for me as I really love someone who was sexually abused so I just wanna thank you for bringing attention to it. We need to stop this awful crime.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MBach528 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Just call me MB

Re: April is Sexual Abuse Awareness and Prevention Month - April 8th 2013, 12:09 AM

I agree, it's very sensitive for me, too. But I also very desperately want to protect others from suffering the same trauma and agony I went through. So now I'm fighting the crime, so that way others don't have to hurt the way I did.

Closed Thread