TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Akita Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,647, Level: 10 Points: 4,647, Level: 10 Points: 4,647, Level: 10

My gf's period is late, lots of school work - October 15th 2015, 03:31 AM

So for any of you who aren't aware of the IB program in high schools, its basically classes that are more intense than AP classes, require many community service hours, require a lot of club hours (national honor society and other variations of national honor clubs), and basically graduate with part of an AA degree. I didnt go through this program so I dont know as much as others but I know enough to know its going to be stressful.

My girlfriends period is about a week to a week and a half late. We did have unprotected, (I know how stupid it is so please dont lecture me) but I did pull out. By the way, shes 18 and im 19. I graduated a year before her.

She doesnt seem to show any signs of being pregnant (morning sickness, sore breasts, spotting, blablabla) but its just scaring us because shes late. If she is pregnant, her due date should be in June-her graduation. Isnt that wonderful. The rest of her year will be ruined by missing school with appointments and typical ignorant girls calling her slut for being pregnant with her boyfriend of 2 1/2 years.

I guess the point of this post is just me asking someone to convince me shes ok. She refuses to take a test because shes too afraid to know the answer. I know it sounds crazy but thats just how shes going to be about it. If she is then I have no idea how to tell her parents. They love me like a son, but I know for a fact they will be very dissatisfied. With a whole lot of emphasis on very.

Im sure I forgot some stuff so I may or may not edit it in or just make another post on this thread. Idk. Thanks for any help..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: My gf's period is late, lots of school work - October 15th 2015, 04:13 AM

She needs to take a test. Whenever you have unprotected sex you risk getting pregnant whether or not you pulled out. She could be overly stressed dealing with that program which could be contributing to her lack of a period. However, the only way you are going to figure that out is if she takes a test. I missed my period completely due to stress but I wasn't sexually active so I knew I wasn't pregnant. I doubt she wants to go a month or so worrying about pregnancy because it will just increase her stress levels.

Also, if she is pregnant the sooner you two find out the better so that she can get in with a doctor and start taking prenatal vitamins.

If she really won't take a test then all you can do is wait it out and hope that her period starts but either way she is going to have to take a test at some point to determine if she is pregnant or if there is something else contributing to her lack of a period.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: My gf's period is late, lots of school work - October 15th 2015, 01:30 PM

The fact that her period is late does not necessarily mean that she is pregnant, but the fact that you had unprotected sex makes pregnancy a highly possible situation. She needs to take a test. Just because she doesn't have any of the symptoms of pregnancy does not mean that she is not pregnant. Most women do not start to feel the symptoms until about week 7. And sometimes women have no symptoms, except for a late period.

If she is pregnant, there is no need to worry. She can pass school and be pregnant at the same time. It will be hard, but it is completely possible. I got pregnant with my son when I was in college and went to classes with a giant belly and morning sickness. If she needs someone to talk to, let her know about this site. I would be more than willing to talk to her about this.

If she doesn't end up being pregnant, take this as a sign to always use protection when having sex.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: My gf's period is late, lots of school work - October 15th 2015, 05:57 PM

I understand that taking the test can be scary, but remind her that delaying the finding out does not delay the answer. She is theoretically pregnant or not pregnant either way, and her delaying the pregnancy test only limits your options and any care she can receive early on. Perhaps you can offer to pay for the test, and be with her during the testing process.

Have you two talked about your plan if she is pregnant? You obviously mentioned some of the complications it'd cause for her in her IB schoolwork, but have you discussed this in more detail with her? This may be something that you want to do either before or after the pregnancy test. Would she want to keep the baby? Would you help out with driving her to these appointments? Would you two want to consider adoption, or potentially abortion if pregnancy is not something she wants to endure during her last year? The most important thing is that you make a choice that is right for both of you. I'd recommend having a thorough conversation about options, particularly if the pregnancy test comes up positive.

I'm not going to "preach you out" for not using protection; you are already dealing with the consequences, and we all make mistakes. Trust me. But I'd highly recommend that if come a negative result, you make a gameplan for sex in the future with your girlfriend. I'd research birth control options and come up with a protection plan that is right for you as a couple. Perhaps you can start using condoms, she can get on birth control, or a combination of both! I'd check out this source for all the diffeerent strategies, and you can make a risk assessment that is right for you.

something burning?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Akita Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,647, Level: 10 Points: 4,647, Level: 10 Points: 4,647, Level: 10

Re: My gf's period is late, lots of school work - October 15th 2015, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, she actually just got her period as I was typing this. Thank god. She said its really heavy so Im almost kinda wondering if it was a super early miscarriage. Either way, we arent ready to be parents yet. Thank you all for your responses. We'll be more careful from now on
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: My gf's period is late, lots of school work - October 15th 2015, 10:51 PM

That's great to hear! If you're not ready to be parents, I'd recommend that she look into long-term birth control methods that are very effective. The IUD and implant are the most effective, and last a long time without needing to be taken or remembered every day. Info about them can be found on that nifty website I shared earlier.

something burning?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: My gf's period is late, lots of school work - October 18th 2015, 07:19 AM

That's really good to hear.

I agree with Coffee and recommend that your girlfriend takes birthing control methods or use protection.

Closed Thread