TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Unhappy Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 22nd 2017, 10:35 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

sorry if this is in the wrong place but I figured it belonged with Abuse but feel free to move where need be. also please be advised it gets pretty graphic
Sept. 19th Day of Surgery - I was brought back to the pre-op area to change and to answer questions about my health. I was asked if I have been feeling depressed and/or suicidal lately and I said yes but explained that I've been seeing my therapist and psychiatrist regularly (had seen both of them the day before on 9/18) and started medications again and neither were too concerned with me right now since I'm taking active steps to work on and improve my mental health. This was never questioned again until I was in the recovery room waking up from anesthesia and a case worker was questioning me again about these feelings I've been having lately. I don't remember much from this conversation but I do know that I repeated what I told the pre-op nurse (that I'm working on improving my mental health and my therapist and psychiatrist haven't deemed me to be at any risk.) Later that night that same woman came into my room trying to get me to get an evaluation from the mental health provider where I live and I told her I did not need nor want one, that I'm fine and expressed that I knew since I'm over 18 I can refuse such service. She left without saying anything from what I can remember.
Sept 20th - We were told I would be discharged around 3, that we were just waiting to visit with the doctor, blah blah blah. My nurse on duty and another woman who never identified herself came in and told me I would need to get an evaluation and I explained yet again for the third time that I did not need or want one and I wanted to be discharged since I was feeling well and all of my vitals were coming up normal. They left. 4 o'clock comes around and no sign of me being discharged. Finally 6 o'clock came and my grandma had to leave to check on my grandpa. No sooner did my grandma leave the same two women came into my room again and told me I would need to get an evaluation done or they would put a court hold on me to remain in the hospital. I told them again for the fourth time that there was no need for me to have one and I'm over 18 and I wish to be dismissed against medical advice (DAMA). They told me that wasn't going to happen so I got out of bed to gather my things and I was headed out of my room to look for the elevators but couldn't so I locked myself in a bathroom so I could call my mother and get her to help me - anything she could do. I told her they were basically kidnapping me and that's when security unlocked the door and forced me into a wheelchair and took me back to my room. They picked me up and forced me in my bed while 3 or 4 grown men pinned me down while someone else restrained me to the bed. I tried to free myself several times because I knew what they were doing was wrong then they came in with tranquilizers and shot me at least once and there might have been a second shot but I don't remember. This in turn caused me to go into a psychotic episode/panic attack where I genuinely believed I was back in KVC Prairie Ridge (a psychiatric hospital in Kansas City where I was admitted for a few weeks 4 years ago and endured a lot of poor practice and was overall traumatizing even to this day). After the tranquilizers calmed me down (essentially knocking me out), they transferred me downstairs to the suicide watch level and kept me restrained all night until they finally released me the next morning. I don't remember much the rest of the night because every time I woke up they tranquilized me again but I would say they tranquilized me up to 6 times within a 12 hour period. I didn't get dinner or breakfast nor my psychiatric medications or pain meds and wasn't allowed to go to the bathroom because "they would need a doctor's approval to remove the restraints" and I was unable to do my business in a bed pan. Over night when I would wake up I would cry for them to at least take the wrist restraint off because it was too tight and was extremely uncomfortable. When morning came around I again started crying for them to take the restraints off I remember hearing the nurse saying to someone else (almost in a bragging way) that she gave me a double dose for that last shot of tranquilizers. I vaguely remember meeting with the doctor overseeing the case that morning too but cannot recall what our conversation was about. I don't remember being released or getting dressed or anything but my parents told me when they wheeled me to them they said I looked like I had been in a ward for a year; my hair was matted in the back and there was dried spit on the side of my neck because I got so upset at one point I puked up spit. I couldn't stand up or keep my head up by myself. The whole day yesterday is basically non-existent to me.
After speaking with my attorney today, they called the courts to see if they had any court hold put in place on me and that came out to be a lie too. I'm just absolutely disgusted and traumatized from all of this. I was there for wrist surgery and I'm dismissed as a psych patient??? I still can't believe it.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

Last edited by FallonRose; September 23rd 2017 at 04:07 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 23rd 2017, 06:00 AM

Wow thank you for that story and remind me not to go to that hospital!

Your attorney will make their life very unpleasant.

You didn't have any family or friend go with you?

That would help.

(Usually they insist on releasing you to a family or friend after surgery.)

[Sorry I don't know how legal stuff works. All I know is the legal "rules" aren't rational. Like if someone says, "My nose itches," they are then legally required to have a foot doctor examine you, or some completely stupid thing like that.]

Our local hospital would never treat someone that way! Mental patients aren't restrained. I visit my friends in the psych ward all the time. The staff are all very nice.

Thank you for your story.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 23rd 2017, 08:27 AM

Hey,
I know how this feels. I was restrained for no reason as well. I was about to fgive up my phone when i told a different security gaurd to shut the fuck up because I wasn't talk to him, and was in the process of handing my phone over when he tackled me and I was screaming telling them they were truamatizing me because I had been abused and they didn't care. They left me in restraints even when I was completley calmed down. I asked the nurse to take them off and she told me no because I raised my voice.

I know how this feels it really sucks. I wish I had complained to the hospital on the way they treated me. I came out of there with a couple of really bad bruises. I hope that your legal team will be able to get you a court date so you can sue them.

My only thing that I am unclear about is the thing on the psych evaluation. Here in Cali even if you are over 18 if they tell you, that you need one they put you on this hold until you see one and they determine if you can be let go or put on a 72 hour hold. Also if you are way out of control to the point of needing restraints and psychosis they automatically but you on a hold. I am not saying that what they did wasn't right at all, because it wasn't. I just want to understand the law where you are.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 23rd 2017, 02:49 PM

I read this last night. I am at a loss for words. I'm so sorry this happened to you. They shouldn't have done that at all.

I had EMT, psychiatrists and nurses poke fun at me and treat me meanly but I was not restrained but I was hooked to an IV and witnessed maltreatment towards other patients and that alone was traumatizing to me.

I can't imagine what you were going through.

You too. Essa. I'm so sorry. You did not deserve to be retraumatized. You raising your voice is not an okay reason to tackle someone.

I hope the legal case goes well for you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 23rd 2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerESSAMaid View Post
Hey,
I know how this feels. I was restrained for no reason as well. I was about to fgive up my phone when i told a different security gaurd to shut the fuck up because I wasn't talk to him, and was in the process of handing my phone over when he tackled me and I was screaming telling them they were truamatizing me because I had been abused and they didn't care. They left me in restraints even when I was completley calmed down. I asked the nurse to take them off and she told me no because I raised my voice.

I know how this feels it really sucks. I wish I had complained to the hospital on the way they treated me. I came out of there with a couple of really bad bruises. I hope that your legal team will be able to get you a court date so you can sue them.

My only thing that I am unclear about is the thing on the psych evaluation. Here in Cali even if you are over 18 if they tell you, that you need one they put you on this hold until you see one and they determine if you can be let go or put on a 72 hour hold. Also if you are way out of control to the point of needing restraints and psychosis they automatically but you on a hold. I am not saying that what they did wasn't right at all, because it wasn't. I just want to understand the law where you are.

This is not completely true. If they believed that she was a danger to herself than they could have requested a psych evaluation but she told them that she was seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist and had seen them the day before and they were not concerned about her. Since she told them that they could have and should have requested to talk to her mental health practitioners to verify what she had said. If they asked to talk to those doctors and she hadn't given them permission to do so...then they would have had the right to hold her until they were able to do a psych evaluation. It doesn't seem like they went that route so they didn't do what they should have (op can clarify that point)

I am from California and I had this specific thing happen on more than one occasion and at different hospitals. I talked to the social worker when I went in for self harm and told them everything. They were contemplating holding me but then they were able to ascertain from my doctors that I was getting extensive treatment and that they didn't think that I needed to be held because it wouldn't help regarding my self harm and they didn't feel that I was going to try and kill myself. OP wasn't even going in for self harm or anything psyche related. They should have taken her statement and been fine...which is something I have experienced as well. I went in for something that was not at all psych related but the hospital could see my past experiences so they asked me if I was depressed/suicidal or thinking about harming myself. Once I said that I had these thoughts at times and that I was working closely with mental health professionals they were fine and treated me for what I was actually in there for.

I mean, my psychiatrist told me in the past that if I ever went into the ER for self harm that I needed to be sure to let them know that I was seeing him and my therapist. He also told me that I should give them his number so that they could call him so he could let them know that I likely didn't need to be hospitalized for self harm. He did state that if I went in for self harm and there was actual proof that I had recently been a danger to myself ... that talking to him might not help. In OP's case, she told the hospital that she was seeing two people who were not concerned about her harming herself and they didn't even check in with those professionals.

OP, what you experienced was wrong and I am sorry that you had to deal with that. If you can, try and avoid that hospital from now on. I hope that your legal team will be able to help. Also, if they never actually put you on a 72 hour hold (I believe your lawyer called and you were told that?) then they definitely did hold you against your will which is a breach. If they did put you on a 72 hour hold then you will have to prove that that was unnecessary and they did not follow protocol ... which could get a bit complicated because it will be your word against the many medical professionals and, unfortunately, if they know they didn't handle this properly they will be certain to try and cover themselves. I do wish you the best of luck with this situation.

EDIT: I think a big issue and why hospitals handle it differently, even within the same state, is because the laws on the matter are so broad that a lot of hospitals skirt the line between what is ethically right and what they feel they can get away with. I have definitely had some really bad experiences at some of the hospitals/er's that I have gone to but I have also had good experiences. I have just talked extensively with my doctors and they are willing to help me try and not get hospitalized for self harm because they know it wouldn't help. They usually only ever kept me for 3 days when I would go in for self harm and both my doctors said that it would be less than beneficial. There was only two incidents where my doctors felt that me being hospitalized for self harm was the right call.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 23rd 2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post

This is not completely true. If they believed that she was a danger to herself than they could have requested a psych evaluation but she told them that she was seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist and had seen them the day before and they were not concerned about her. Since she told them that they could have and should have requested to talk to her mental health practitioners to verify what she had said. If they asked to talk to those doctors and she hadn't given them permission to do so...then they would have had the right to hold her until they were able to do a psych evaluation. It doesn't seem like they went that route so they didn't do what they should have (op can clarify that point)

I am from California and I had this specific thing happen on more than one occasion and at different hospitals. I talked to the social worker when I went in for self harm and told them everything. They were contemplating holding me but then they were able to ascertain from my doctors that I was getting extensive treatment and that they didn't think that I needed to be held because it wouldn't help regarding my self harm and they didn't feel that I was going to try and kill myself. OP wasn't even going in for self harm or anything psyche related. They should have taken her statement and been fine...which is something I have experienced as well. I went in for something that was not at all psych related but the hospital could see my past experiences so they asked me if I was depressed/suicidal or thinking about harming myself. Once I said that I had these thoughts at times and that I was working closely with mental health professionals they were fine and treated me for what I was actually in there for.

I mean, my psychiatrist told me in the past that if I ever went into the ER for self harm that I needed to be sure to let them know that I was seeing him and my therapist. He also told me that I should give them his number so that they could call him so he could let them know that I likely didn't need to be hospitalized for self harm. He did state that if I went in for self harm and there was actual proof that I had recently been a danger to myself ... that talking to him might not help. In OP's case, she told the hospital that she was seeing two people who were not concerned about her harming herself and they didn't even check in with those professionals.

OP, what you experienced was wrong and I am sorry that you had to deal with that. If you can, try and avoid that hospital from now on. I hope that your legal team will be able to help. Also, if they never actually put you on a 72 hour hold (I believe your lawyer called and you were told that?) then they definitely did hold you against your will which is a breach. If they did put you on a 72 hour hold then you will have to prove that that was unnecessary and they did not follow protocol ... which could get a bit complicated because it will be your word against the many medical professionals and, unfortunately, if they know they didn't handle this properly they will be certain to try and cover themselves. I do wish you the best of luck with this situation.

EDIT: I think a big issue and why hospitals handle it differently, even within the same state, is because the laws on the matter are so broad that a lot of hospitals skirt the line between what is ethically right and what they feel they can get away with. I have definitely had some really bad experiences at some of the hospitals/er's that I have gone to but I have also had good experiences. I have just talked extensively with my doctors and they are willing to help me try and not get hospitalized for self harm because they know it wouldn't help. They usually only ever kept me for 3 days when I would go in for self harm and both my doctors said that it would be less than beneficial. There was only two incidents where my doctors felt that me being hospitalized for self harm was the right call.
You're absolutely right, not once did they even ask me to contact either of my mental health workers, essentially just ignoring what I was trying to explain to them. I've always tried to avoid this hospital because they settle a lot of stuff out of court and sweep their wrongdoings under the rug but I had no choice with this surgery. And to clarify, no they did not put me in any sort of 72 hour hold/court hold, nothing so yes they certainly did hold me against my will. My attorney also has told me that what they did was against some Act that I can't remember the specifics of it right now but because of that this is going to be a million dollar lawsuit, all involved could lose their licenses and the hospital could even be shut down. Only time will tell exactly all the repercussions of their actions but I am not going to let them sweep this one under the rug.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 23rd 2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonRose View Post
You're absolutely right, not once did they even ask me to contact either of my mental health workers, essentially just ignoring what I was trying to explain to them. I've always tried to avoid this hospital because they settle a lot of stuff out of court and sweep their wrongdoings under the rug but I had no choice with this surgery. And to clarify, no they did not put me in any sort of 72 hour hold/court hold, nothing so yes they certainly did hold me against my will. My attorney also has told me that what they did was against some Act that I can't remember the specifics of it right now but because of that this is going to be a million dollar lawsuit, all involved could lose their licenses and the hospital could even be shut down. Only time will tell exactly all the repercussions of their actions but I am not going to let them sweep this one under the rug.
Yeah, if they did not place you on a 72 hour hold then they legally shouldn't have been able to hold you. I am in a different state so things might be a bit different but if the hospital doesn't place someone on a hold then they don't have grounds to hold them. The only time a patient is not allowed to go Against Medical Advice (to my knowledge) is if they are on a hold. The typical length of a hold is 72 hours but they can try and extend it but from my knowledge the hospitals are only allowed to hold a person on a 72 hour hold for a certain length of time (I can't remember the specifics but I do know I have been told that the hospitals have to try really hard to transfer me to a psych facility within a certain amount of time etc).

I definitely hope that your lawyer is able to help you. I know of at least one Psych hospital in my state that has had numerous violations, complaints and has even had a patient die....and they have still not been shut down (a lot of this was occurring back in 2007 too). Not really certain why they are still open since the complaints and violations are serious and I hope that this particular hospital doesn't get away with it.

Best of luck and I hope you have people you can talk to about this traumatic experience!

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kyburg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 25th 2017, 08:11 PM

This is shocking. I wish you best of luck, because they deserve to get sued into the ground. If you, as an adult, say you are signing yourself out AMA then they have to accept that if you are not an immediate threat to yourself, which you clearly weren't. Unfortunately, you will have an uphill battle because, as was said, they close ranks when in trouble. Keep strength and I hope that you get justice.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Hospital Kidnapped Me - September 28th 2017, 09:20 AM

I let my attorney handle legal things. Fortunately I'm not involved. Initially I was, but he wisely pushed me aside, kept me mostly at bay, so I don't step in and make a mess of things.

I dislike him, but I must admit he's doing it right. Keep me out of it so I can go live my life unentangled.

Closed Thread