TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Would this work? - October 27th 2017, 02:20 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey all, I'm only 17 right now so no tattoos but I'm trying to plan ahead. I have a number of self-harm scars that initially, I was going to try and remove (or at least try to fade) but I've been wondering if maybe it'd be better and more effective to get a tattoo covering them. They're quite dark and there's 45+ of them so I don't think they'll ever go away. The problem is, they're spread out across both of my thighs (maybe uppper/mid thighs) since I'd cut where I knew the scars would be hidden by clothing. But I have to look at it everyday and it's very uncomfortable to see now. I feel like I'm still kind of controlled by my mental illness when I see them, if that makes sense. It's like I can't close that chapter of my life and move on with the scars still there. But like I said before, they're on my thighs and I haven't seen many tattoos there. I don't know if it'll really work, if you get what I mean. I don't know if it'd look good. The tattoos over self-harm scars I've seen in the past have all been on the wrist/upper arm area which is fine because a lot of people just get tattoos there...but thighs? I haven't seen as many tattoos there. I don't know what I'd get for sure but my idea is to get one inspired by Among The Wildflowers by The Hotelier. I want go too much into it but that song has a lot of meaning to me and I listened to it often, back when I was still struggling with cutting. I knew I wanted to honor a song because music is such a huge part of my life. I had so many songs to choose from, a few of which probably had more sentimental value but this one seemed to work the best and it doesn't seem like an idea I'd get sick of. I have an image from Pinterest, it's not the original one I saw that gave me inspiration for the design I want but it's a bit similar. The flowers would kind of look like this: http://tonobanquetes.com/images/wild...-tattoo-30.jpg (except not upside down lol) And I want them surrounding the lyrics, which would be written in small cursive. I actually want more of a variety of wildflowers but like I said, I couldnt find the image. I just want them done in the style those flowers are, more simplistic and uncolored. I don't want the whole song, just "Cut the lines, you'll be fine," for now. I don't think I'll want another tattoo after this. I didn't want one initially but I really think it'll help with my healing.

Would my tattoo work? Would tattoos on the thighs (both thighs) work in the first place?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Would this work? - October 27th 2017, 03:18 PM

Hey,

My thought is if you really don't want one and are only doing it to cover scars, I would say do not get one. They are forever and you might end up regretting it.

My friend has a lot of tattoos on her upper thighs, I also have one right above my knee that says I'm fine and then when I look at it, it says save me. I will be getting another one on my other thigh in another 6 months, but probably the next friday the 13th. Anyways tattoos can be put anywhere you want then. Screw what and where most people have them, do what you want.

Covering scars is a tricky thing when it comes to tattoos. They have to be healed and all the redness has had to go away. I've heard people say that they have gotten told the scars have to be like 6 months old at least. Then there is the issue of if they are raised they might not be able to do it. I would go to a tattoo shop when you are 18 and ask them to look at where you want the tattoo and see if they can do it.

I hope this has helped. If you have any more questions feel free to PM/VM me anytime.

Your Friend,
Essa<3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Would this work? - October 27th 2017, 04:02 PM

It is possible to cover scars with tattoos but you need to consult with an artist that has knowledge in working with scars. I watched a YouTube video about it and the girl in the video had extensive and raised scars. She goes into detail about the complexities. Certain colors and designs will look better and if you go to an artist that doesn't have a lot of experience with scarring it could lead to a botched job. I'd definitely do research on good tattoos artists in your area and consult with any people that you know who have gotten tattoos.

Receiving a botched tattoo can be pretty crappy especially, if, you end up not being able to cover it.
Closed Thread