TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Emotional abuse - March 29th 2018, 06:44 AM

Is there anything that I can look up to find out signs for emotional abuse outside of a relationship? A specific search criteria or anything like that?

Everything I am looking up is for relationships which ... it does seem like the person I am interacting with is emotionally abusive to their partner but I don't know how to determine if they are emotionally abusive towards me.

I know a lot of therapists/professionals gloss over emotional abuse so I don't know that I can actually ask anyone.

I feel like the partner of the person I am interacting with has had therapist's who have glossed over the emotional abuse because it wasn't physical.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Emotional abuse - March 29th 2018, 01:26 PM

I had to think about yhis for a moment. Then i realized emotional abuse outside of child abuse and intimate relationships, csn be called "bullying" so i looked up the phrase emotional bullying and got this

Quote:

What is Emotional Bullying?
Emotional bullying isn't just seen on the playground; emotional bullying, although likely subtler, is seen in adult relationships and workplaces too. An emotional bully might:1

Name-call, tease or mock
Use sarcasm
Threaten
Put-down or belittle
Ignore or exclude from a group
Lie
Torment
Gang up on others
Humiliate others
Source: https://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/e...otional-bully/

I hope this helps

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Emotional abuse - March 29th 2018, 01:55 PM

Some professionals definitely gloss over emotional abuse. I am fortunate in that mine never has.

I like the idea of looking up bullying to see what you can find. You can also try changing your key words to see if that helps (e.g. passive aggressive behavior, family emotional abuse, etc).

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emotional abuse - March 29th 2018, 11:05 PM

Thank you both!

I am going to look this up. If I have any questions I'll let you all now. Since this seems to have been answered effectively I am going to close this.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emotional abuse - March 31st 2018, 01:48 AM

I have another question and I felt like it made more sense to re-open this.

I did end up looking into the links and I found a lot of stuff about passive aggressive bullying. My question is...can someone be passive aggressive towards another person without meaning too?

Like, are all passive aggressive people actually intent on harming a person because the person is passive aggressive with a lot of people, I think, but not a ton of people speak up for themselves like I tend too and so I am wondering if over the years it's gotten to the point that they are being passive aggressive with me a bit more than others as a defense?

IDK ... I am just asking if something like this could be accidental especially after someone has asked them to change.

I get told a lot how much this person cares and how much this person thinks we have a good relationship. Could they be doing this stuff subconsciously?

Some of the things that I deal with are:

Boundaries being ignored after a long while --- years of knowing them and explaining that I don't like it
Mean comments ---the person constantly brings up certain things in a 'joking' way even though I have explained it bothers me. I got the person to stop one thing but only after a very long time and a few other circumstances where they were forced into stopping or they wouldn't get what they want.

There is more but these are the main ones. I know other people tend to kind of step back when they deal with passive aggressive people. I do notice this person acts differently around my friends and my family.

I guess the person could just be being mean but not bullying ... but if it's repeated over years why else would they be doing it especially when they don't tend to do it the way they do it to me when others are around. It does seem like they must know that they won't get away with it around other people...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Emotional abuse - April 4th 2018, 06:28 PM

Passive aggression can be a defense mechanism so it may be that someone is used to being passive aggressive. Though that's no excuse.

I think the biggest indicator would be that you have asked and explained that the things they do or say bothers you, and yet they continue to do this. It can be difficult to break out of behaviour patterns, but if they are open to changing things, even if it's just how they interact with you, then you should see these things lower over time, rather than feel that it only stops if it's forced or because they didn't get what they wanted.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emotional abuse - April 5th 2018, 02:41 AM

Thank you.

I feel really guilty because the family member and I fought yesterday and I think they talked to the partner....things are awkward and my guilt is intense.

I like interacting with the family member but the partner can always me iffy. I feel like a bad person right now and maybe I shouldn't but I feel as though I have done something wrong.

The guilt might be normal when a person is the scapegoat and made to feel like they are imagining things but I am just ... struggling because as much as I struggle with the partner I still don't want the partner to be hurt.

I am feeling like all I do is hurt people. Maybe my feelings about it aren't valid?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Emotional abuse - April 8th 2018, 08:57 PM

I think your guilt is understandable. You don't want to hurt anyone, and it must be frustrating not to get on with this person, and yet worry about being the bad guy and hurting others.

But you aren't the bad guy. We aren't going to get along with everyone in our lives, and it can be difficult to figure out whether we might be in the wrong, or whether it's the other person, or even both. Whatever your feelings are, they are valid. And the fact that you don't want to hurt people, suggests that you might not be hurting others so much as you think.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread