TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mad Mel Offline
Your Average Sane Psycho
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Melissa

Unhappy Are my worries justifiable or am I just being paranoid? - September 30th 2009, 10:11 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

To preface, I was raped and otherwise sexually abused when I was five/six by a neighbor we lived by at the time.

So last week was my cousin's wedding. Her stepfather missed the entire service "looking for his belt" (he showed up beltless -- he's suspected of having an affair.)
Well, my cousin is like a sister to me so I was pretty angry that he missed the whole thing. I gave him a dirty look when he stepped out of his truck so he punched me in the arm. (Left a bruise.)
I told him, "Don't touch me." Because I have a thing about being touched by men.
So he said suggestively, "You know, you're not too old to be spanked." And smirked.
I left promptly afterwards to watch my cousin's three year-old.

Now I'm afraid that history might repeat itself. :/
He's a total bastard. Destroyed my aunt's piano -- her most beloved possession and stays out til four am every night.

So do you think I'm just chanelling my dislike for him into fear because of a harmless comment, or should I be worried?
  Send a message via AIM to Mad Mel Send a message via MSN to Mad Mel  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Are my worries justifiable or am I just being paranoid? - October 1st 2009, 12:58 AM

I don't think you definatly have something to be worried about, but you certaintly have a good reason to be. I suggest telling someone in your family that knows about what happened, and maybe they can help. They could either tell him to stop or help take the measures to MAKE him stop. Cause he does kinda sound like a bastard :/
Try not to stress out too much over him, because history won't always repeat itself. It's actually fairly unlikely to.
But don't hate yourself either for being a bit scared of this. It's completely normal.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mad Mel Offline
Your Average Sane Psycho
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Melissa

Re: Are my worries justifiable or am I just being paranoid? - October 1st 2009, 04:01 AM

c: Thank you~ *squish*
  Send a message via AIM to Mad Mel Send a message via MSN to Mad Mel  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Are my worries justifiable or am I just being paranoid? - October 5th 2009, 06:12 AM

Hey there Mel. Your uncle does sound like kind of a creep and I'm sorry you have to deal with him. It's hard to tell if you should actually worry about him or not, but to be on the safe side I think the best thing you can do is to talk to other people in your family. Tell them what he said and how it made you feel. If others are aware of the situation he will be much less likely to ever try anything.

You may be placing some fear from your past on him, but that's a completely normal reaction. If you feel that way about all men though, it might help to talk to someone such as a therapist about it. Trust is a hard thing to get back, but it can be done.

I hope you are doing okay right now and you can PM me if you ever need to talk.

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

Closed Thread