TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Question was it sexual assault? - October 11th 2009, 12:00 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i went camping in 07 with my dad and this family and my dad and i were right next to each other, one family was sweet and kind, one of their friends who were also there were not, one morning i was with a young boy from the nice family and one from the not so good family, the teen from the bad family, was grabbing my butt, and i said no and told him to stop, he wouldnt, next thing i know he's got his hand around my breasts and groping me, i was in to much shock to react, he did this right in front of a 6 year old! when we got back to the good family campsite i screamed at the kid who did that awful thing to me, i yelled "if you ever do anything like that again i will break your fingers i will break your wrists"
and i feel like it was sexual assault, but i'm not sure, and no no police involved i never said anything to any police officer, ect. only my friends and family and now all of you know

Last edited by Emily.; October 11th 2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added triggering prefix
  Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: was it sexual assault? - October 11th 2009, 12:13 AM

I don't know where you live but here is the English law of sexual assualt:

Quote:
(1) A person (A) commits an offence if-
(a) he intentionally touches another person (B),
(b) the touching is sexual*,
(c) B does not consent to the touching, and
(d) A does not reasonably believe that B consents.

(2) Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents.

(3) Sections 75 and 76 (of the Sexual Offences Act 2003) apply to an offence under this section.

*Touching, or any other activity is sexual if a reasonable person would consider that-
(a) whatever its circumstances or any person's purpose in relation to it, it is because of its nature sexual, or
(b) because of its nature it may be sexual and because of its circumstances or the purpose of any person in relation to it (or both) it is sexual.
So yes, what he did could be classed as sexual assualt.

However if you wish to charge him: It's unlikely you will be able to prove a grab of the butt from 3 years ago even if the person who was 6 at the time will agree to testify because children are seen as unreliable witnesses. Not to mention you then have to prove that he didn't think you consented to it, which might be difficult if he makes up a story. Basically I doubt the police would have anything to do with this, but if you decide to go with it then good luck.

~Personal disclaimer: This is no way constitutes legal advice and I refuse to allow you to sue me or in anyway hold me liable if you take it as such and I'm wrong. I am not a legal proffesional, if you want a proffesional legal opinion then please contact a practicing lawyer.~

Last edited by Jack; October 11th 2009 at 12:20 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: was it sexual assault? - October 12th 2009, 12:01 AM

Hey there Elizabeth. That sounds like sexual assault to me and I'm really sorry you had to go through it. These links here and here also describe what sexual assault is, if you're still wandering. The first is from this site and the second is from RAINN.

Do you feel like you want to involve the police? I don't know if the case would be able to go anywhere since there isn't much evidence, but it might help to at least file a report. Sometimes it can help to bring closure.

It's good that your family and friends know and that you are able to talk with them. If they are supportive, keep talking to them. Let them know how you're feeling and if it's still bothering you, don't be afraid to bring it up and vent. Everyone heals at their own pace.

Another thing you might want to give a try is counseling. Sometimes it really helps to have that confidentiality when you're talking with someone. Plus they are trained to help you work through these situations.

I hope you're doing okay right now. Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk.
<3 emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
When a heart falls apart.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Morgan

Re: was it sexual assault? - October 13th 2009, 09:31 AM

Groping can be and is known as a form of sexual assault. If you choose to go to the law authorities, you will need to provide them with all the details of the assault. Although it may seem unfair, threatening the perpetrator can also come under a form of verbal assault.

Sexual crimes are hard to prove if there is no remaining DNA as it normally results as in one word against the other. The age of the male offender would also be a contributing factor.

If you do choose to lay charges, make sure you know everything that happened clearly and be confident about your judgement.

Good luck :]

(As stated in the previous posts, we aren't legal professionals. We don't accept responsibility for legal advice; if that's what you're after, hire a solicitor. )

Closed Thread