TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kayla200 Offline
Average Joe

emotianal abuse or not? - December 26th 2009, 05:47 PM

Ok so I pretty much know what emotional abuse is as do I know what all other abuses are considering as I went through each and every one of them...but this one is considerably confuseing me ok so my step father acts like hes a huge tough person which he is huge but ne ways he is always cocky and mean. at every chance he gets he puts me down he will complain and freak about everything I do he yells and screams and just acts like a complete and total uncivalized idiot. but the thing is that wile its screwing with my head its not as bad as it was when my disowened gparents where mentally abuseing me...all brian does is basically tell me im never going to make it in life and that i shouldnt get what I do get which isnt a lot considering the fact that he stole a large amount of money from my mom a wile ago....I don't know if this is abuse...is it or not..

R.I.P Lee, Logan, Austin 3/5/09

As tears fall from my eyes,I realized I didn't know them as much as I knew everyone else,Yet what I knew was they where apart of me in different ways,And as I watched them be put in the ground,Their spirits floating,Apart of me went with them...........You will forever be missed and loved...Never forgotten

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: emotianal abuse or not? - December 27th 2009, 04:58 AM

Hey there,

I'm so sorry to hear someone is putting you down like this. What he's saying isn't very nice and no one deserves to hear things like this constantly. Especially since hearing negative things so much doesn't give you a very positive outlook on anything.

In my personal opinion, this is a form of emotional abuse, regardless of how bad it seems when comparing it to the other abuse you've suffered. This person is putting you down and hurting you, which isn't right. No matter how often or how long it has been going on for. He is in a position of authority and, therefore, should be doing the opposite of what he seems to be doing right now. He should be encouraging you to succeed instead of being so negative. My advice would be to get involved with sports or friends more often than family events. You might not be old enough to move out, but you can have a life away from these kind of treatments and it might help to have a place to run to. Getting involved means meeting new people and feeling good about yourself, even when others might be trying to tear you down.

Always remember that you decide how good you feel. You are worth more than this. You are a strong and unique person who has a place in this world. For everything negative someone says, try to point out a good thing. You can overcome this and you're a bigger person for withstanding all this negative treatment. Your opinion of yourself should be the one that matters. Keep your chin up and if you need anything, my PM box is always open.

Take care,
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: emotianal abuse or not? - December 27th 2009, 05:49 AM

Yes I believe this is emotional abuse.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kayla200 Offline
Average Joe

Re: emotianal abuse or not? - December 27th 2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence View Post
Hey there,

I'm so sorry to hear someone is putting you down like this. What he's saying isn't very nice and no one deserves to hear things like this constantly. Especially since hearing negative things so much doesn't give you a very positive outlook on anything.

In my personal opinion, this is a form of emotional abuse, regardless of how bad it seems when comparing it to the other abuse you've suffered. This person is putting you down and hurting you, which isn't right. No matter how often or how long it has been going on for. He is in a position of authority and, therefore, should be doing the opposite of what he seems to be doing right now. He should be encouraging you to succeed instead of being so negative. My advice would be to get involved with sports or friends more often than family events. You might not be old enough to move out, but you can have a life away from these kind of treatments and it might help to have a place to run to. Getting involved means meeting new people and feeling good about yourself, even when others might be trying to tear you down.

Always remember that you decide how good you feel. You are worth more than this. You are a strong and unique person who has a place in this world. For everything negative someone says, try to point out a good thing. You can overcome this and you're a bigger person for withstanding all this negative treatment. Your opinion of yourself should be the one that matters. Keep your chin up and if you need anything, my PM box is always open.

Take care,
-Melissa
You said about sports thats one of the main things that im assuming he hates me for because Im not a sports person Id much rather work at a job then join a sport which i am trying to find a job but the thing is I think he dislikes me cause im not like my brother because wile my bro is a year younger hes better at everything then I am

R.I.P Lee, Logan, Austin 3/5/09

As tears fall from my eyes,I realized I didn't know them as much as I knew everyone else,Yet what I knew was they where apart of me in different ways,And as I watched them be put in the ground,Their spirits floating,Apart of me went with them...........You will forever be missed and loved...Never forgotten

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: emotianal abuse or not? - December 27th 2009, 04:43 PM

This is when you might need to ask yourself a few questions about what you want to get from life. If this man is taking you down because you're not like your brother or the way he wants you to be, I would think that's his problem he needs to deal with. Be confident in what YOU like to do and don't compare yourself to someone who is completely different than you. You don't like sports, so don't do sports. I think you should do what makes you happy and do it the best you can. Make yourself proud and smile because you did the best you could. No one else's opinions should matter.

There isn't a better in this situation because we all have our own talents. If you find something you really enjoy, then you'll progress at it and want to get better for your own sake. Not to beat anyone else. If this guy hates you for being you, then you can't do anything about that. Don't change who you are for anyone, because then you're sacrificing your own happiness. Some people just don't get along. You want to find people who can accept and support you for exactly who you want to be. The people who don't do that aren't worth your time.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread