TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shopaholic Offline
Average Joe

Name: Megan

Therapy - March 7th 2010, 02:30 AM

My therapist has just diagnosed me with PTSD (I was sexually abused by one of my friends). And said she really wants to use exposer therapy.I'm really nervous about starting. She said it will be hard but we will take it in steps. So basically my question is has anyone ever had exposer therapy, what is it like, what should I expect? And any other info you can give me would be much appreciated too. Thank you Meg.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Therapy - March 7th 2010, 07:17 AM

Hey, Meg. Your therapist probably wants to try exposure therapy because she'll think it will help, and it can. Because PTSD can cause people to avoid relationships or going out on dates for fear that they will be attacked again(in the case that the person was abused, etc.) At first exposure therapy it's scary, but it's supposed to be since you're facing your fears and learning to conquer them. So I mean, basically expect to be scared some. It gets easier over time as your therapist helps you learn ways to cope with the memories and flashbacks to generally not be afraid of people or places. It also depends on which type of exposure therapy she decides to do, but they all are to help you in the long run. (From what I know of, there's vivo, imaginal, and interoceptive exposure therapies.)
Good luck.
Immy. x

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Memories Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kat

Re: Therapy - March 7th 2010, 11:16 AM

Hey darl,
as noobcake said; exposure therapy involves introducing the fear in some form in a safe and controlled environment. Your therapist will be well trainned in the area and will not begin introducing the fear untill you build up coping mechanisms and will be very gradual.
Take it slow and don't push yourself too far too quick, try to keep the communitcation open with your therpist. It requires a lot of trust.
Good luck.

Closed Thread