TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

telling one of my tutors - April 17th 2010, 09:25 AM

i have decided that next week at college i am going to talk to one of my tutors about the postman and what he did to me, im scared but i know i need to talk to them. i am going to talk to the college manager as last week they saw my cuts on my arm, and asked me about them, so i have figured out if they are asking me about them they care ? but can they tell anyone what i tell them, can they tell my mum ect, they have not told my mum about my cuts on my arm. but i dont know if because what im going to tell them in a way is more serious than in someways me cutting, can they tell anyone ? i no that from when i had counselling my counselling said she could not tell anyone about my dad unless i wanted her to or had asked her to because im over 18 but i dont know if the same thing goes for my college ? should i ask her before i talk to her or should i just talk to her and see how things go ? all i know is need to talk to her and tell her, im scared but its something i have to do, it probably wont do much, if anything at all, i dont know, im confussed and scared. but i know i have to talk to someone about this and i think the college manager might be the person to talk to as they asked me about the cuts on my arm (even though i told them it was nothing) they sat next to me the whole day and stuff, so i think they care. but im not sure. theres a couple of tutors at college i trust. what do i do ? once ive told them will they have to tell the police and my mum ? or do they not have to as im 19 ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Last edited by Emily.; April 18th 2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: editing prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Re: telling one of my tutors - April 17th 2010, 12:28 PM

wow i thinbk your really brave hun. asking for help it hard but you can do it. if u ask them to speak to them confidentualy then they should by right have to respect tht. but i think its good idea asking them still. good luck lydia
loves ya hun xxxxx

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: telling one of my tutors - April 17th 2010, 08:05 PM

Well done for plucking up the courage to go and tell your tutor. I think in this case, they only have to report it to someone else (like the police) if you are in immediate danger and under 18 for instance if you were being continuosly abused by your parents, the college would have a duty to report it. However as you mentioned the postman in past tense, it suggests that either it was a one-time thing or it is no longer happening, in which case, you should be fine especially as you are over 18. As for the cutting that they cannot tell your parents if you don't want them to, I think they might be able to tell your doctor if they are concerned about your health, although the doctor would not be able to tell your mum either.
Good luck hun

ps. - I forgot to add that my counsellor and the rest of the mental health team who I am currently in contact with have not told my family about my brother sexually abusing me when I was younger or even when I was hospitalised for a suicide attempt, so I imagine that your college wouldn't be able to either - just make it clear to them that you don't want them to tell your mum and maybe ask them to inform you before hand if they do have to (though I'm sure they wont have to).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: telling one of my tutors - April 17th 2010, 08:07 PM

Hey There Lyd!

I think it's great that you've decided to talk to someone, I'll be right behind you!
I think that generally, people don't have to talk to your parents unless your in a life threatening situation - however, depending on 'what' your going to tell them - it might be a different case.

For example, I had an issue with being sexually molested - that was the phrase my school councillor used - and they had to tell my parents. So, depending on what your going to be talking about, they may or may not have to tell your parents.

It truly sounds like your college is trying to reach out to you, which is great, and I think that if you were to talk to them then they would support you through everything. I know you have a bit of a rough relationship with your parents, but I still do believe that when faced with the truth your Mum would come to help you and support you.

You can always ask about your college's confidentiallity policy - ask about how they deal with information on - eating disorders, rape, abuse, addictions, sucide, self harm etc... by listing all of these, you don't have to tell them which one/s you apply to

I hope this helped,
And feel free to msg me if you want.
xx

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jenna Peterson Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jenna

Re: telling one of my tutors - April 18th 2010, 04:41 AM

Congrats on having the courage to talk to someone about this, that's a really big step forward!

As for whether or not they'll tell, well...
In Canada it is the law that any minor who reports abuse, current or in the past, the person hearing it must report it to the police and notify a guardian. Once you're an adult, they can't tell anyone without your permission.

That being said, I saw several counsellors starting at age 16. Not a single counsellor I saw as a minor said a word to my Mom or to the police. When I was 18 and seeing a counsellor at college, he told me I had the choice of making the calls myself, or letting him do it, but either way the calls had to be made. I was 4 months shy of turning 19 and being a legal adult.

The walls are high, the walls are strong
I've been trapped in this castle that I built for far too long
You have surrounded me, a sea on every side
The cracks are forming and I've got no where to hide
  Send a message via AIM to Jenna Peterson Send a message via MSN to Jenna Peterson Send a message via Yahoo to Jenna Peterson  
Closed Thread