TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
terris Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Terri

Feeling lost - April 24th 2010, 02:02 PM

Hi, i'm terri, i've been on this site for a couple of months, but ive never made a post or anything, so here goes...
about 5 years ago i was sexually abused by my uncle (i'm 17 now). 2 years ago i became depressed about of it, but recovered. But now i'm having flashbacks, i can't sleep and just unhappy alot of the time. i've also started self harming again. I don't know what to do, because i want to talk about it to someone, but i can't burden my friends with it. I feel lost and i don't know what to do

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Re: Feeling lost - April 24th 2010, 03:18 PM

What your uncle did is outrageous! Did you call the police??! He needs to be punished for what he's done!

If you're friends were good friends, then it wouldn't be burdening anyone. You need to definately tell someone. Do your parents know?

When people "bottle things up" they can become depressed, just like you did. This is something, I very much doubt you will forget. But if keep it all locked away inside, then it won't be doing you any good. Talk to your friends. A teacher? Have you tried conselling?

Hope this helps

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Feeling lost - April 25th 2010, 03:05 AM

Hey Terri. I'm proud of you for being able to open up and make a post about this. I know that alone can be hard sometimes. What your uncle did was wrong and hope you know it was in no way your fault.

I think talking to someone would be a really good idea. Friends can be really helpful, but sometimes they don't always know what to say or do when dealing with these types of situations. Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to an adult about what happened? A teacher or school counselor or your parents are all good options to start with. I think seeing a therapist can be really helpful too. It's nice to have someone to talk to who has to keep things confidential and who is trained to help. You deserve that. They can help you work through the abuse and depression and find better ways to cope than self harm - because you don't deserve to be hurt.

I hope you're doing okay right now. Be good to yourself and don't be afraid to reach out for help. My PM box is always open if you ever want to talk.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ms. Music Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Re: Feeling lost - April 29th 2010, 04:32 AM

Hi there,
I just want you to know that you are not alone. Its something that I think every survivor struggles with and its a big burden. I am wrestling with something very similar, and even having the courage to reach out here I have found is a big step. PM me anytime for anything!
Katie
  Send a message via AIM to Ms. Music Send a message via Skype™ to Ms. Music 
Closed Thread