TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
liketheangel Offline
Average Joe

Name: Amy

counselling & antidepressants - June 20th 2010, 04:25 PM

ok so i made the first step.
i asked my doctor about free counselling and he said hed set it up.
im really scared ive only told one person and shes so close to me and it took me years to tell her.
how does it work. what if the counsellor tells me everything ive been fighting that its my fault. that im in the wrong, its taken me ages toi try and accept it wasnt, but what if it is. theyd know.
and im scared to opening up and scred that i cant.

also antidepressants. has anyone got any advice on whether taking them is a good chocie cause my doctor is veyr persistent that i start them.
just looking for some points of view.
x

Floating, falling, sweet intoxication
Touch me, trust me, savour each sensation
let the dream begin let your darker side give in
to the power of the music that I write
The power of the music of the night

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: counselling & antidepressants - June 20th 2010, 05:38 PM

Hey there, Amy.

Way to go on talking to your doctor That's a really great first step to take! You should be very proud of yourself.

I'm really glad he is going to help you find the support you need and deserve. I know it can be scary opening up to a therapist, but they are there to help and not to judge. If you get one that tells you it's your fault, then i suggest you find someone else right away as that is in no way what a therapist should do. And it was not your fault, Amy. In no way, shape, or form.

As for the anti-depressants, I have never personally been on them, but I do know people who have really benefited from using them. It takes awhile for them to kick in and sometime it can be frustrating finding the right medication and dosage, but once you do, it can really help. So it's definitely something to consider.

I hope you're doing okay right now and please feel free to PM me if you need anything.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: counselling & antidepressants - June 20th 2010, 08:12 PM

Hey Amy,

It is no way your fault. A counselor would never tell you it was your fault, and if they did, well they wouldn't be a good counselor. My point is, they won't say that. They are there to listen and to help you, to talk with you. They are not there to judge you. Counseling can be really helpful, so I'm glad you decided to reach out.

Anti-depressants work differently for everyone, and some people really do benefit from them.I hated them, but I also didn't really give them a chance to work. They might work well for you, if you want to try them. It's totally up to you, and if you say no, your doctor can't force you to take them.

Just hang in there Amy. If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hope begins Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hannah

Re: counselling & antidepressants - June 23rd 2010, 01:09 AM

Hey, Amy

Well done for talking to your doctor, that must have been really hard so I think you should be proud of yourself. I know that the prospect of opening up about this kind of thing is absolutely terrifying! The counsellor WILL NOT tell you that it's your fault; they're there to help you and will be used to hearing all about this kind of thing, so they're not going to judge you. I am currently dealing with things that have happened to me, in therapy and I'm not going to lie, it's hard. But it's also useful, it helps to be able to tell someone who isn't going to be shocked or break down, who'll listen and validate my feelings and reactions. It helps to not be carrying such a burden on my own anymore. It's okay that it's hard, they'll be used to people finding it difficult to talk and if they're any good at their job they'll be patient and allow you to take it as slowly as you need to.

Regarding antidepressants, it is totally your decision and I wouldn't want you to feel like your doctor is pushing you into anything. How do you feel about them? It's natural to have concerns, do you think you'd be able to talk them through with your doctor? Personally, once I found the right medication, I found it incredibly helpful. It didn't take away all my issues but it did allow me to feel 'well' again, to be able to get out of bed in the morning. It also meant that I was more able to actually talk to my therapist and be able to engage better because I wasn't so horrifically low and scared all the time. But that's just my experience, and it has to be about what you feel is right for you.

Good luck, I hope everything goes well, and I'm here if you need someone to talk to.

Closed Thread