TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pacotaco Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

talking to teacher? - November 15th 2010, 12:44 AM

I was sexually abuse by my step dad when i was younger. i still live with him and he says inapropriate things to me but doesnt do anything physical usually. I also strugggle with depression, an eating disorder, cutting, and suicidal thoughts. I'm considering talking to a teacher i trust about some of this. Does anyone have any advice or experience about talking to a teacher about things like these? And also what exactly are they obligated to tell either parents or the police or anybody else? any advice at all would be helpful thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
kokorocks Offline
Average Joe

Name: Damien

Re: talking to teacher? - November 15th 2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
I was sexually abuse by my step dad when i was younger. i still live with him and he says inapropriate things to me but doesnt do anything physical usually. I also strugggle with depression, an eating disorder, cutting, and suicidal thoughts. I'm considering talking to a teacher i trust about some of this. Does anyone have any advice or experience about talking to a teacher about things like these? And also what exactly are they obligated to tell either parents or the police or anybody else? any advice at all would be helpful thanks
My advice would be just to set a time where you can speak to her/him privately and just come out and tell her/him. I believe they are suppose to tell police about the sexual abuse, but with the other things that would be something they'd tell your parents. I know it being notified to the police can cause you to be nervous and re-thinking telling your teacher, but I think you need to tell an adult. If you have anymore questions, need to vent or anything else feel free to message me. Good luck. <3

Send a message via MSN to kokorocks  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: talking to teacher? - November 15th 2010, 01:40 AM

Hi Pacotaco (we call my brother that name "paco taco") Welcome.
It’s not easy talking about sensitive topics to teachers or anyone in general. Maybe you can catch your teacher after school and ask if he/she has a minute, you can say something along the lines: Can I talk to you for a minute? Can I talk to you about something? I need to talk to you for a minute. I’m sure your teacher will catch that you need to tell him/her something important and set some time to talk to you in private. I personally don’t have any experience with talking to teachers about those topics but another thing you can do is write your teacher a note saying you need to talk to him/her and leave it in the teacher’s desk your teacher can approach you and talk to you if you feel better writing a note rather than talking face to face.
Good Luck I hope everything turns out great.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: talking to teacher? - November 15th 2010, 02:54 AM

If you feel uncomfortable, you could email or give your teacher a note.
Just tell him/her straight-out. Don't really hold the conversation out for a long time.
Tell me how it goes!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mercedes-Lynn

Thumbs up Re: talking to teacher? - November 16th 2010, 07:24 AM

Dont be scared to talk to a teacher..teachers <most> teachers are friendly and understanding...id advice u to talk to a female teacher.. or even a teachers aid.. good luck..message me

sometimes i wanna give up....
  Send a message via MSN to pretty-emo-girl-99  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: talking to teacher? - November 16th 2010, 11:29 AM

when i was at my first college i told someone at my college about my dad and told them about how had been hitting me ect. they told social services and a social worker came to my college and spoke to me and then the day after that the social worker came to my house and spoke to my mum.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
pacotaco Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: talking to teacher? - November 18th 2010, 12:16 AM

thanks for the help!! i'm still debating on what all i should tell her. i dont want to get anyone else involved and i dont want her to have to report anything

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: talking to teacher? - November 18th 2010, 12:36 AM

Hey,

I know that it will probably be hard to tell your teacher, but I think it will be a great decition of you to tell her what's going on with you and how you feel. I understand you are concerned and probably worried about the reprecutions if you get the police, or anyone else, involved, but I think you telling her and some sort of involvement from the police would be good for you. You can't keep letting your step dad treat you like that and depression, self harm and thoughts of suicide are not things that should be dealt with alone. Also, getting all of what you are dealing with out in the open should help you receive the help you need in order to deal with your feelings, thoughts and memories of the past. It's going to be a hard decition and it's going to take a lot of strength, but trust me, it's all worth it in the end. If you ever need anything, I'm more than glad to help or just chat, you can PM me and I'll be glad to reply as best as I can. You are not alone and reaching out to those near you will help you see that more I think. Good luck and I'm always here if you need me, as is all of TeenHelp.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
pacotaco Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: talking to teacher? - November 19th 2010, 03:10 AM

I dont know if I'm ready to get the help I need...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
kokorocks Offline
Average Joe

Name: Damien

Re: talking to teacher? - November 20th 2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
I dont know if I'm ready to get the help I need...
Well what you need to figure out yourself is.
If you don't tell someone you can just be the way you are, having depression,cutting your eating disorder ect. to take over you and things to still go on.

Or

You can tell someone, things to change, and for you to possibly have a better life.

Take a chance for a better life or don't.
Your choice, I think you just need to write down a pros and cons list for telling and not telling.
That's what I do with a lot of things, and it really helps.

Send a message via MSN to kokorocks  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
**Theresa** Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: talking to teacher? - November 21st 2010, 12:49 AM

ok well i have talked to a teacher about sexual abuse and they wont tell your parents for the most part unless he is no long in the same house as you but if you are really indanger and they dont think your safe they can have the police remove you until the case is turned over to CPS (child portective services) and then they will find you someone to talk to and what ever you tell the teacher they have report so they basicy qoute you

You can explain to this teacher the reason you came to her/him about this and that you really trust them, and just let him/her know that you didnt know who else to turn to,

Hope everything works out, i know it is hard since i have been in the same place as you

PM me anytime

theresa

Closed Thread