TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
littlejoker Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Becky

My brother hit me and I don't know if I should tell or not? - April 9th 2012, 08:21 AM

I found needles in my brothers room, so I confronted him, I wasn't nasty, I just asked why he had them and I just wanted to talk, but he got mad, he started shouting and pushing me, he slapped me in the end and told me to stay into my room until he said so. So I curled up on the bed, my cheek stung badly and when I looked in the mirror it was bright red but fading to a light pink

He came back after while maybe 30 minutes and his eyes were blood shot, he started out by saying I had no right to snoop in his room and his words were slurred slightly and he ended up punching me after I said I was just worried about him. He screamed in my face about how I was a stupid kid and I was the reason Mum and dad's marriage failed and he was in foster care. He started pushing me and kicking and punching, he was screaming and his words were slurred. He left, saying he hated me and he wished I was never born.

When my foster mum got home, I was in bed and I told her I didn't feel well, she asked if I wanted dinner and I said no, but she made me eat so I could take my anxiety medication. My foster dad came home and he checked on me, he asked if anything was wrong between me and Colton and I just told him everything was fine.

Today I woke up and I have bruising on my tummy and ribs but my lip is busted from where I bit it after he hit me and I have light bruising around my eye but its getting darker. I've managed to avoid my foster parent. I managed to cover the bruising around my eye with make up as its only light and I told the foster's that I bit my lip in my sleep and busted it.

I don't know what to do. I mean he's never hit me before unless you count spanking and he's never hit me in anger its all because of this new girlfriend. I don't know what to do, I don't want him getting in trouble but I don't want to get hit again.

Colton still hasn't come out of his room today either, so I don't know what to do about that and what if he hits our foster brother in anger. He's 4 and really annoying but thats because he looks up to Colton, so what if he annoys Colton and Colton hits him. I don't want him to get hurt.

I don't know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Herp Derp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My brother hit me and I don't know if I should tell or not? - April 9th 2012, 08:53 AM

I would tell an adult right away. From what you describe it seems as though Colton is on hard drugs, which means that not only is he a threat to others but also to himself. Your fear is rational, but you need to be brave and bring it to your parents attention. Tell them everything you just said; the needles, him exploding, you being afraid for yourself and your little brother.

I understand why you wouldn't want him to get in trouble, but things might get worse if you don't do something as soon as possible.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
littlejoker Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Becky

Re: My brother hit me and I don't know if I should tell or not? - April 9th 2012, 08:55 AM

I don't want my brother to hate me for getting him into trouble. When my parents were fighting Colton was always there and he has been my parent and brother at the same time through out all of this.

Last edited by littlejoker; April 9th 2012 at 09:15 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: My brother hit me and I don't know if I should tell or not? - April 9th 2012, 04:05 PM

Hey there,

You are in a potentially dangerous situation with your brother. He shouldn't be treating you the way he is and it's important that he stops. Therefore, I highly suggest that you tell your foster parents about it. Your brother might get mad but it's important that he stops this behaviour. The drugs are probably what is making him act so violently so once that is out in the open, he can get some help and learn how to cope in a healthier way. I know you don't want to get your brother into trouble; but, in this case, it is worth it to protect everyone involved.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: My brother hit me and I don't know if I should tell or not? - April 9th 2012, 06:08 PM

Becky, you know, there's just so much going on in your life. I think you really have to look to take care of yourself...even though I know you so desperately want your brother to be a more active participant in your emotional life. Sadly, based on all you've been posting and sharing, I don't think that will happen.

First, I would tell whatever adults are in your life and currently in charge of you what happened, so that would be the foster care mom and the DFS social worker...I recommended this some time ago before this latest wrinkle. Your first obligation is safety..his and yours. If he's shooting dope, he could die. And he's already violent with you, which is typical for addicts. So, you have to tell, and regardless of his response, your priority is telling the adults and getting the protection you all now need.

Go......

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: My brother hit me and I don't know if I should tell or not? - April 10th 2012, 05:40 AM

Hi there Becky, I know how hard it can be to think of someone's who's always been there for you, being so angry at you, but the truth of the matter is, it sounds like he is on very hard drugs, and they just might be what's causing this behaviour. It would be in your best interest and the best interest of those around you, for you to tell your parents. He has a problem and he needs help with it, not only for your safety and your brother's safety, but his own well being as well.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
Closed Thread