TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Exclamation Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 01:50 PM

I'm already seeking advice for this from my psychiatrist, but I wondered if anyone suffering from BPD or Bipolar Disorder, even others who don't have these disorders, could give me some advice about managing my 'upswing' or 'euphoric' episodes?

I've had them sporadically since my early teenage years I think, when my PD was emerging, but recently they've become very frequent and more debilitating.

It seems to be 'unaffective' uplift of mood, and is like a type of hypomania, though it's duration isn't usually long enough to merit a Bipolar Diagnosis.

I'm aware that different factors could be contributing to this, rather adding to, or instigating these episodes, such as starting my medication again (I'm on an SSRI, atypical antipsychotic and benzodiazepine) so perhaps the SSRI is causing the drastic mood shifts more than usual as my body is adjusting to that medication, or there's a paradoxical effect with the antipsychotic (somewhat doubtful as it's used to effectively treat mood swings/disorders), and i'm unaware that a benzo would have that side effect. I'm liasing with my psychiatrist about it, and he says the upswings are due to my BPD, but the 'euphoric' episodes are starting to bother me, now. It feels like there's this agitation and energy under my skin, even though my mood mentally is more stable in terms of Depression, etc. I end up using unhealthy coping mechanisms such as alcohol (which i've had huge problems with in the past) in combination with Clonazepam (my benzo) to help me 'come down'.

Does anyone with the above mentioned disorders have any coping tips? Perhaps I should give the medication a chance, as I haven't been taking my old effective combination for that long, or I could possibly think of switching my Olanzapine onto a higher dose, as I was on 10mg before, and am currently on 5mg.

Help appreciated!

Michy.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3

Last edited by Michy_Blackrose; May 4th 2012 at 02:30 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 02:28 PM

I realise that people are online at different times in various parts of the world, but i'd REALLY appreciate some help with this, as it's really starting to effect me in a negative way

Thanks. x

So darkness I became.

<3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 02:49 PM

Well, Clonazepam is a good way to calm yourself.

If you're worried that its a side effect from medication, discuss this with your doctor. They may choose to re-adjust, or substitute, any medications if they're the cause of these swings.

However, I suggest if you have these again, and also short bursts of Depressive episodes, that would be important to mention. Maybe even make a "Mood Journal" to keep track of anything abnormal.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 02:54 PM

Yes, I'll try that. Sometimes, like right now, I feel 'mixed', I seem to experience a few 'mixed' type of episodes... A nurse called today to return my call from yesterday when I tried to get in contact with my psych after I got home from seeing him, he was really busy and he won't contact me today, he's finished for today and not available on weekends, so i'll have to wait until next week This is really, really starting to drain me and feel so uncomfortable and debilitating... *sigh*

A mood diary is a good idea, noting affective and non-affective triggers or lack thereof, and what medication/substances i've taken that day, also noting my symptoms and approximate duration.

It would surprise me if I had underlying Bipolar come out this late, disregarding my BPD, even though i've experienced these mood swings since my younger years, but recently they've become a LOT more difficult to manage and prominent, so i'm not really sure whether this is BPD or something more.

Thanks, Julz.

So darkness I became.

<3

Last edited by Michy_Blackrose; May 4th 2012 at 03:19 PM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 03:16 PM

Any more advice/support would be appreciated. x

So darkness I became.

<3
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 03:29 PM

I've had this in younger years too, it's just become a lot more frequent with the 'euphoric/hypomanic type' episodes recently, even before i started my meds, and i experienced bouts (lasting a few days) similar to my previous deep depression not long before that/ in between my 'euphoric' episodes.

Depression has been the main mood disorder diagnosis i've been given, comorbid with my BPD. But perhaps the SSRIs are triggering the swings even more, if there's a more biochemical/Rapid-cycling Bipolar Disorder behind it, which is coming into full prominence now.

I experienced something similar to this when I first started taking Prozac at 14; I became a lot more 'active' and 'efficient' for about 1-2 weeks after, and didn't get much sleep during that time despite the initial sedative side effects on starting medication.

My mother also pointed out to me, at times, that I seemed to go into a fast-paced, 'manic' type of mode one time cooking, maybe a few other times, but that could also be partially compromised by alcohol intake back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
Well, Clonazepam is a good way to calm yourself.

If you're worried that its a side effect from medication, discuss this with your doctor. They may choose to re-adjust, or substitute, any medications if they're the cause of these swings.

However, I suggest if you have these again, and also short bursts of Depressive episodes, that would be important to mention. Maybe even make a "Mood Journal" to keep track of anything abnormal.

So darkness I became.

<3

Last edited by Michy_Blackrose; May 4th 2012 at 03:42 PM.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 03:47 PM

Any more help would seriously be appreciated... feeling pretty crap

So darkness I became.

<3

Last edited by Michy_Blackrose; May 4th 2012 at 03:52 PM.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Grapefruitlife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 04:01 PM

Michy,
dear friend, I'm not sure I am the right person to talk about this because I know nothing about your situation you have not told me yourself (which makes giving advice slightly awkward).
I'd say to go talk to your doctor, but you said you can't reach him... but I like the idea of the mood diary!
I am, of course there to listen, but I lack any constructive ideas. I hope you will be okay. My thoughts are with you, but you know that already. *supportive!Lisa is supportive*
*hugs*
xx

(#9 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 04:01 PM

Huggsss. I have experianced this and I usaly do stupid things like talking a lot and running laughing all over the place doing stupid stuff. I personaly cant stop when I get up swings because it feels so good like I can do any thing.

Also anti anxiety meds are HIGLEY ADDICTIVE so beaware of that. It could be the meds I know when I got on abilify I got manic I spent way tooo much money which is totaly not like me and I couldnt sit still. I eventually got off abilify because I couldnt stand the I cant sit still feeling. Im now back on seroquel and it helps.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks for your support, Lauri. It's good to know someone else also experiences these debilitating symptoms/episodes. I've been offered Seroquel as an alternative to my Olanzapine med, and I'm very aware of the addictiveness of benzodiazepines, i've been addicted before and been on them for quite a long time, on and off. But they do help, short-term anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
Huggsss. I have experianced this and I usaly do stupid things like talking a lot and running laughing all over the place doing stupid stuff. I personaly cant stop when I get up swings because it feels so good like I can do any thing.

Also anti anxiety meds are HIGLEY ADDICTIVE so beaware of that. It could be the meds I know when I got on abilify I got manic I spent way tooo much money which is totaly not like me and I couldnt sit still. I eventually got off abilify because I couldnt stand the I cant sit still feeling. Im now back on seroquel and it helps.

So darkness I became.

<3
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 4th 2012, 10:00 PM

I was on seroquel once, and it did seem to help, but I was taken off it for reasons unknown. I understand how debilitating the swings are. This morning I was hypomanic and now I'm on a real low. I'm not sure I have any real advice, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone x

(#12 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 5th 2012, 12:56 AM

Your welcome. Seroquel I love it. So if your going to take it I hope it does good for you too.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 5th 2012, 02:28 AM

I was put on 10mg of olanzapine at one point to treat hypomania (my diagnosis currently has bipolar II in it), and it took over a week before it really started to work. All meds have to build up a level in your system.

In the mean time, try and use focussed ways of expelling your energy - organise to go for a run or a bike ride or something like that, and practise mindfulness to help calm you - I don't know if you've done DBT or any of its components with your therapists but if you have, now would be an appropriate time to use some of the skills from it.

Also remember that we have control over our actions, and sometimes acting in certain ways helps us to feel certain ways - so if you want to be calm, you have to do calm things. It's hard when you feel like you could easily jump right out of your skin and start bouncing around the room, but it's worth it to know that you're in control of what happens. Try something like having a bath, using scented oils or bubble bath with calming scents. Think about things that make you feel content. Draw. Paint. Use your energy in positive ways.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 5th 2012, 07:01 AM

Thanks Jess, I aim to do that anyway General gratitude for all your advice, guys.

I'm going to start a mood diary today. use some of your tips and liase with my psychiatrist next week
. x

So darkness I became.

<3
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Upswings - BPD - May 5th 2012, 02:45 PM

Just an update - I bought 2 diaries today, one to track my moods, and the other as a general 'feelings' diary. Hopefully should help.

So darkness I became.

<3
Closed Thread