TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
arrowpaw Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Everyone I know is f***ed up and so am I. - May 22nd 2012, 07:24 PM

I just started a new college-prep school. Well, since the year's almost over, I guess I can say that I just finished my first year at this school...
Nearly everyone I know is....Mentally unstable.
I have 1 friend who practically insane; therapists can't even help her...she's depressed, psychotic, schizophrenic, has EDs, and just.....idek.
I have a handful of other friends with depression/EDs.
I honestly don't think there are many people in my grade, at least, who aren't mentally....ill. The funny thing is, all of my friends say that their depression & shit started the year(s) they entered the school..
I'm beginning to develop, I think, some mental shit too. I've become EXTREMELY paranoid, to the point where I can't trust anyone, I can't sleep, I can't do anything really without some feeling of unease. This has just started this year.
I don't even know why I'm making this thread.
Should I talk to a therapist about my issues? I've mentioned it to my mom but she brushed it off, saying "I just need some sleep". Which is probably true.
But I'm wondering, is it possible for a school environment to "fuck people up"? It's a small school, about 100 kids in my grade, it's an extremely challenging environment.
I just don't really know what to do anymore. I don't know who to trust, and I'm always wrapped up in other peoples' problems....if I ever try to talk to any of my friends or ANYONE about these problems, they go and tell everyone else. Just yesterday, this girl who I swear was loyal to me, I told her something secretive and she honestly just told the entire grade. I'm just kinda sick of everyone and I want to move schools.
Any advice? How to deal with these people? Is it just ME?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Everyone I know is f***ed up and so am I. - May 23rd 2012, 08:51 PM

Well, if you've had experiences of telling people things that they have repeated without your permission, you're inability to trust seems to make at least a little bit of sense. I would advise you to reach out to someone maybe a guidance counselor, or other professional if you feel like it's interfering with your life this much.

While I don't think it's possible for a school to "fuck people up" I do think that a stressful school environment can contribute to or worsen existing symptoms or mental disorders. The friend you mention is a good example of this: If she truly is psychotic, schitzophrenic or ill to the point where "professionals can't help her" the school did not cause those problems, but the stress could have caused them to flare up.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread