TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tamsin

Unhappy Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 23rd 2012, 03:32 AM

So, I have been seeing my councellor Vanessa since september 2011. She is a university studet who was working at the teen health center for what i have just learned is a one ear work placemrnt.

She is leaving. My counsellor, she's leaving in less than two months, and im going to have to start all over with someone new. I don't want to see someone different. She was the first out of dozens of counselors have seen that i actually formed some type of connection with. I liked her, she is smart, pretty, successful, everything I want to be. And she is young, i think tats why i found her easier to talk to, it sort of felt like taling to my oldersoster insted of a grown up. Im so mad and upset and sared i dont even know what to do. Please help

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 24th 2012, 10:46 AM

I dont know what to do? I am hurt that she would tell me she cares so much and wants to help me and thenshe would leave me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 24th 2012, 02:05 PM

Hey Tasmin!
I'm very sorry you are having such a hard time with this and that it's time for your counselor to leave. I'm sure she wouldn't want to, but as you said it's a one year program and it's her time.

Have you talked to her about keeping in contact? She may not be your counselor anymore, but she can still be your friend and like an older sister to you. I'm sure she would love to keep in touch!

Also, I know you don't want another counselor, but try to be open to the idea of making another friend with this one. Who knows? This one could be a great counselor, you just have to be open to it.

I know it's hard, and I wish things could be different for you, but you never know what's going to come out of this! It could be good.

I wish you the best of luck with your new counselor!
Message me anytime,
Shelby

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 24th 2012, 02:14 PM

Hey there
Counsellors have lives too and no matter how much they care about their clients, sometimes different circumstances means they have to move on.
However I do understand how upset you feel. Just remember that she does care about you, and her leaving will not affect that.
It might be a good idea to tell her (if you get to see her again) jut how much you'll miss her and thank her for how she has helped you. You might wanna write a nice letter or another momento to say thanks, I know this can help in the recovery process of bad news. As long as you don't beg her to stay or tell her that you're annoyed at her, as that could be offensive or hurtful.

I don't know where you do counselling but you may be able to ask for someone that's young if you feel you can relate more to them. If not, I'm sure that you'll find someone else that understands you well and is able to help you. It will take time to re-establish again, but getting the opinion and different ideas from someone different may be a blessing in disguise.

I hope everything works out for you, take care. Feel free to pm me if you ever need to. <3

Amy

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 24th 2012, 04:54 PM

Im sorrry I know how it feels I have been left by lots of therapist. It hurts like hell I know I wanted to kill myself after they left me.

Well this might not be able to happen but never hurts to ask your therapist if you guys can stay in touch through email or through phone calls. That way you will still have your therapist vannesa and your new therapist too. Ask her to please stay that your be very depressed if she leaves you.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 24th 2012, 09:11 PM

I'm sorry Vanessa is leaving. I know it hurts to lose her, especially since you have such a great connection with her. I went through the same thing last March. My therapist, whom I adored so much, had to go on mat leave. I felt like she really "got" me. Since she's left I haven't found anyone as good. Sometimes I still think about her and I feel very sad. It's almost like she abandoned me even though I know she didn't. Try to keep an open mind when you meet your new counselor. I wish I could tell you letting her go will be easy. If you ever want to talk, PM me. I can relate to how you're feeling.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 24th 2012, 11:45 PM

DONT LEAVE HER TRY TO HANG ON TO HER AS MUCH AS YOU CAN . Tell her if she abandons you , you will do soemthing and you will be very depressed. Also like I said above see if you guys can still stay in contact.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 25th 2012, 02:31 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts she is leaving at the end of june, so i have a few more sessions with her. I am trying to cope with my feelings about it by writting down my concerns, i have a lot. I just am finding that i get very uset thinking about going to the center to see someone else. I dont cope well with change.
And to top it all off our sessions have been getting tough, and i know this isnt true but it feels like when things get tough she gets to leave and im left to deal with it. This adjustment just seems to have come at the worst possible time.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tamsin96 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 25th 2012, 02:56 AM

Also, I would like to give her something before she leaves, do you think just a letter would be appropriate? Or do you have any other ideas?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Struggling with my counsellor leavin - May 25th 2012, 03:10 AM

Yes give her a letter and a big long hug. See if you can get her phone number too to stay in contact or her email address. HUGGSSSS I FEEL FOR YOU I REALLY DO BEEN THROUGH IT NOT FUN.
Closed Thread