TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Opinions on OCD please - May 23rd 2012, 12:19 PM

I know nobody can diagnose (trust me I've said it more than a few times to people on here ), but I'm looking for opinions from other people.
If you don't want to read all this background story, you can skip down to the red font.
The psychiatrist I was being referred to when I was 17 had diagnosed me with quite a list of things (none of which really stuck when I changed doctors later) and one of those things was "obsessive compulsive traits" which I'm pretty sure is a label that could be stuck to anybody if you really tried.

So anyways, to my question.
I was doing research trying to figure out why I get such random out of the blue violent/suicidal thoughts even when I'm in a stable mood, thinking it was part of bipolar, and came along the idea of intrusive thoughts. I know intrusive thoughts are most commonly associated with OCD, which is making me think that maybe there was a ring of truth to what my old psychiatrist was saying in that regard.
Now, I haven't looked up any of the signs or symptoms of OCD, because I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and I don't want to read the symptoms and start overreacting. I am going to bring it up at my next psych appointment (this coming Monday) but until then I'm curious about what other people might think about this.

This is where the post really begins;
The reasoning behind my thinking I may have OCD is because of the following problems I have that are not better explained by any other illness I have or have had in the past.
-The aforementioned intrusive thoughts about suicide/violence towards others that disturb me greatly.
-My obsession with even numbers that began around the age of 8 (counting things when I'm anxious such as steps, how many chews it takes to eat a meal, floor tiles, cracks, cars, pipes, etc.)
-My total fear and disgust of having any sort of liquid or goo other than water or soap touch me. I'm also highly uncomfortable breathing in another person's exhaled air, putting anything anyone has touched anywhere near my face, eating or drinking anything that's been left out uncovered for too long, basically anything where bacteria is involved.
-My need for patterns in my belongings. This one is weird and a psych in a hospital asked me about it once, where I will only put things into patterns if I have to touch them (such as if I just put it down or I need to use it) but if it's not mine or I don't need to touch it then I don't care if it's not in any sort of pattern.
-The thing that annoys my wife the most is that several times a day I have to blink a certain way, a certain amount of times. Sometimes I feel that I need to clear my throat a certain amount of times, or take a certain amount of deep breaths.
-When I was younger I used to pull out my eyelashes, and now I pick scabs whenever I have them.

Thoughts?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: Opinions on OCD please - May 23rd 2012, 01:25 PM

Hey Rick,
So just my personal opinion, it does sounds like you have some OCD tendencies, and I think it's great that you are going to talk to your doctor about them at your next appointment, because they can tell you for sure.

But since you are just wanted to know what we think, I'm leaning towards yes. At least from the definition:
" Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something."

I hope this helped, and I wish you the best of luck at your appointment!
Shelby

Closed Thread