TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Scared of dying. - June 12th 2012, 11:23 PM

I know most people are scared of dying but I'm overly terrified, I think it could even be considered a phobia.

I've been like this since I was a child. I remember crying myself to sleep over it when I was about five. Surely it's not normal for a child to be that scared :/

I don't believe in an after-life which makes matters worse. I don't believe in heaven, hell, reincarnation, ghosts or anything. I believe once you're dead you're dead and that's it. This scares me. What is nothing? What will happen when I go? I won't have any thoughts, memories or anything. I may as well not have lived at all. The world may as well not carry on as I won't be around to see it. It's the "if a tree falls in a forrest but no-one is around does it make a sound?" argument. I know other people will live on but there's no me to witness it.

And that makes me think what's the point? I know that quality of life is more important but it may as well not happen at all.

Look at someone like Michael Jackson. He had a great life, he was loved by his fans/family/friends and he was talented, he's gone. He will never see light again, he will never be happy again, he will never do anything again.

It just makes me empty and depressed.

I'm over-anaylising this but I can't help it

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Scared of dying. - June 13th 2012, 12:23 AM

I feel the exact same way im really scared like you are. I believe in god and jesus and heaven but im scared of the what if like you what if we are just nothing after we die how will that feel and such its scary. Im scared also that death will hurt will hurt to die will it hurt when are heart no longer beats. I dont like pain so i guess thats why im scared of that too that it will hurt when you die. But i try to tell myself that dieing will happen so fast I shouldnt worry. I just really hope I die in my sleep I dont think it will hurt then.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAnna Offline
Anna Banana
Average Joe

Name: Anna

Re: Scared of dying. - June 14th 2012, 01:58 PM

Hey,

On the contrary to you, I don't fear death at all, which some might say was weird and not normal but ya know, I've learned to live with it.

It's gonna be difficult to be afraid of death all your life and not have it affect you, so I'm just gonna suggest that you make the best of your life, you never know when you get older you might accept it.

Maybe you should talk to a councillor about your fear, if it's like a phobia maybe there's some behaviour therapy or pills they can give you to calm your anxiety?

Anna

I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone

Send a message via MSN to ForeverAnna  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Scared of dying. - June 14th 2012, 03:40 PM

I've never really told my mental health nurse about it. I'm scared of bringing it up because that means I have to think about it, thinking about it scares me enough. Everytime I think about it I try and distract myself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAnna Offline
Anna Banana
Average Joe

Name: Anna

Re: Scared of dying. - June 14th 2012, 03:59 PM

Maybe that's part of the problem, maybe you need to think about it or talk about it, you might change your mind at some point. You can't avoid a subject forever, no matter what it is. I think this is probably something like an anxiety disorder or symptom, could you find a way to say it to her really quick so you don't have to think about it too much? Distracting yourself can only last so long, then you'll not be able to stop yourself thinking about it and it'll all come in a rush and that won't be good for you.

Since it's kinda like a phobia, maybe you should take baby steps in thinking about it.

Anna

I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone

Send a message via MSN to ForeverAnna  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scared of dying. - June 14th 2012, 06:38 PM

I'm the exact opposite, I don't really feel emotion towards dying...I mean I don't wanna die from like something pointless and stupid but I look at danger without any fear I guess....but you need to tell someone (other then us on TH) about your problem. It's not healthy to live like this, I know how you feel and it sucks living like this. I worry about other people dying, not myself so I guess we're exact opposites. But back to what I was saying, you need to think positive and just live your life, your not living if you think every second of everyday about dying.

When I'm sad I think, "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt!"

You can't change fate, but you can change your attitude towards it.
Former user: xArchDreamerx

Became a HelpLINK mentor on July 13th, 2013

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Scared of dying. - June 14th 2012, 08:19 PM

With most phobias it is best to deal with them rationally and head on. With death I don't think you can. Nobody can tell me that we'll be fine after we die because nobody knows for sure.

The only thing that makes me feel somewhat comfortable is knowing that "nothing" happened before we were born, so "I" have obviously been through it before.

I probably should tell a professional :/ maybe they can help.

Thanks <3333

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scared of dying. - June 14th 2012, 08:48 PM

I'm not going to start an argument, because your right. I've given this some thought before too but then I thought to myself, "why should I waste my life worrying about something I have absolutely no control over?" we can't control what happens after we die, but we can control on what we do during our life. I still think you should tell someone about how you think and why you worry...

When I'm sad I think, "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt!"

You can't change fate, but you can change your attitude towards it.
Former user: xArchDreamerx

Became a HelpLINK mentor on July 13th, 2013

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Scared of dying. - June 14th 2012, 11:56 PM

Sadly I have nothing helpful to say on this. But I did want to tell you that you are not alone I feel exactly the same way. I don't think I am quite as bad because I don't let myself think about it very often but when I do think of it I think of it in the same way as you do and it scares me a lot.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
sychil Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: myself

Re: Scared of dying. - June 15th 2012, 02:00 AM

i hate the idea but the only way to get answers for afterlife is in life if u ask for some sort of vision in anyway to just understand but u cant always understand. There would be too many wasted lives if there was nothing after it. thats what i beleive im still looking for answers

(#11 (permalink)) Old
rosepetal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Scared of dying. - June 15th 2012, 11:31 AM

oh I know what you mean. Now and then I have days when I think heaps about death and dying. I find it so scary, i mean its impossible to really imagine not being here and not thinking or anything. I guess the closest I ever came to imagining/understanding not thinking/not being here was when i fainted.. it was just blackness/nothingness and a gap in my memory.. so weird.

Closed Thread