TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Soft and loveable! :3
Average Joe

Name: Ian

Unhappy Can't focus for... ooh shiny! - July 5th 2012, 01:33 AM

Sure, the subject line sounds silly, but I'm completely serious. My ADD is horrible and I can't seem to get any control over it. It takes almost nothing to derail my focus, especially when I'm doing something mentally tasking like my summer reading project or memorizing my marching band music. Now I'm starting to get distracted even when I play Pokemon games, and it used to be Pokemon that was the source of my distractions! Now I can't even focus on Pokemon anymore! My ADD just seems to be getting worse... I wind up wasting hours of my day when there's TONS of work to be done! I'm scared to death of how this is gonna affect my grades when school starts again. It actually starts early this year. There are normally 104 days of summer break give or take. I get 75. 40 at the most if you consider band starting in July as school. It is, though. Even summer marching band stuff is for a grade.

1.)My first and middle initials spell "it".
2.)My first and last initials spell "is".
3.)My first, middle, and last initials all spell "its".
4.)Say my first name, then my middle initial. Ian-T sounds like TNT.
BOOM!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Teddy Bear 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Can't focus for... ooh shiny! - July 5th 2012, 06:43 AM

Ok so I am going to be straight up honest with you, It's gonna be flippin' hard to overcome this, Ive go the same thing too. First you gotta figure out what makes you loose focus, it's gotta be something, for example for me (mainly) it's noise, once noise hits a certain level I cannot keep my thoughts straight and I cannot concentrate to save my life or even hold a conversation. So there for I have to control what I can even if that means I have to be the bad guy and ask my roommates to turn their music down or the tv (I haven't gotten to where I can tell them to keep their voices but eventually) So for you it might be noise or music or your own thoughts or your phone going off it could be any number of things you just need to figure out what it is that makes you loose focus. Sometimes meditation helps, if you don't know what exactly that is I'll explain. Basically it's trying to get to the point of thinking of nothing (impossible, I know) but the act of trying helps. It's an act of trying to clear your head, I have to do it at night so I can fall asleep. Does it ever feel like your thoughts are running a million miles an hour? ya this will help. It's hard at first, here is what I do, every time a thought comes into my head (about anything! no matter what the thought is) I push it away, I let it go, I just keep pushing them away no matter what it is, even if it's important, this is my time to clear my mind. Don't let you mind get attached to anything that comes to mind. Eventually you will get better at it. Then with a clear head then continue with what ever activity needs to get done. It will take some time but you can do it. I have even heard that if we eat healthier that will also help with ADD, so you might try that do. Just practice and keep calm and figure out what is really distracting and making you loose focus and try you best to fix it. I hope this helps.
Mel

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Can't focus for... ooh shiny! - July 5th 2012, 02:31 PM

I agree with Melwirth. I think you should try to go to the doctors and ask for a stronger dose of ADD medication or they might tell you to start taking medication twice a day. That's what I do because I take my medication in the morning and then again at lunch time.

You could also try to distract yourself the best you can.

I hope this helps you.

Member Since 1/15/2012

Closed Thread