TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Early intervention for psychosis - July 19th 2012, 05:42 PM

Hi.

I saw my CPN today who Ive been seeing for about 6-8 weeks after being referred from CAMHS to AMHT since i turned 18. She asked me if today fi I want to carry on seeing her of whether I want a referl through to STEP (Early intervention for psychosis) I said no. I said no because I don't want to just focus on that side of my mental health. I struggle with my eating, self harm, suicdal thoughts and memories and flashbacks and Im scared they'll get pused aside. My self harming is bad again and the suicidal thoughts are getting worse and I dont know what to do about it because I dont even feel like im getting anything out of seeing my CPN.

Im just confused. Im seeing my doctor in the morning so I might talk to him about it. But advice or support would be great. Have any of you ever been in a STEP service? Did it help?

Thankyou
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Early intervention for psychosis - July 19th 2012, 07:44 PM

Hey Jess,

Are there specific reasons you feel seeing your CPN isn't helping? Is it that you don't trust her enough yet or is it her approach towards things? I'm just curious if there's anything contributing to you feeling that way. Maybe you could talk to her about trying some new things when you two meet.

Is it possible for you to be a part of STEP and also see her? Perhaps you could discuss with her the importance of not focusing on just the psychosis, but also the other things that you're struggling with. It's definitely important to get support with all of it. But, it sounds like she wants you to have more specialized help as far as psychosis goes. If you can't be part of STEP and see her as well, maybe that is something that your psychiatrist could help more with?

Those are just a few questions/things to think about. I don't know if they're options or what not.
I've never been in a STEP program (i'm not sure that we've got that here.) I have been treated for psychosis, though. Helping that aspect of my mental health in turn did have a positive influence on how I was feeling with other things (self harm, thoughts, nightmares, etc.) It didn't get rid of those things by all means, but taking care of the psychosis did put the other things I was battling at ease a bit.

Just want to remind you that you can do this. Definitely talk to your doctor tomorrow. Keep those communication lines open so that you can get the best help and support that you can. I love you and if there's ever anyway I can help, please let me know. I believe in you girl. You're going to go so much farther than you already have.

<3
Em

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

Closed Thread