TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ementine Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kaliska Oldenquist

I don't know what to do... - July 20th 2012, 01:34 AM

All day I've been completely calm, which is really weird for me. I haven't really gotten that much sleep the past few days, I wanted to nap earlier but the apartment was too noisy and it takes me a long time to go to sleep no matter how tired I am.
I can feel my anxiety coming back because I'm tired, but I don't want to sleep tonight. I just find it pointless for me to sleep, I don't do anything that really needs me to have energy. I also just find it a waist of time during the summer, I get really bored at night when the forums go dead and today it seems to be a lot earlier that no one is around.

I don't know what to do, I'm bored to death and exhausted but I don't want to sleep. I've been staying up till 4:30-5am. But everyone is gone tonight, there's no one to text.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: I don't know what to do... - July 20th 2012, 05:12 AM

It's important to observe a sleep routine even if you don't have anything to get up for - our brains actually need the down-time regardless of how active/inactive we are during the day.

Maintaining a sleep pattern and a sleep routine is also important in the management of your mental health - pretty much anybody who has mental health difficulties (anxiety, mood disorders, depression, whatever) will be able to tell you that a drastic change in how you sleep is often an early warning sign.

It's also important for our bodies - there's a thing called circadian rhythm, which I'm sure you've heard about, which for most people makes them more inclined to sleep at night - at night we tend to do things slower and our body temperature is slightly lower, because that's when we rest. Staying up all night and into the morning isn't healthy, unless you are working evening or graveyard shifts, or you happen to be active at the times you're awake. Based on the fact that you say you aren't active, the loss of sleep is affecting you whether you're willing to admit it or not.

As for actually getting to sleep, it's important to observe good sleep hygiene - things like, don't smoke within an hour or so of going to bed, no caffeine for 3 - 5 hours before going to bed, and don't do stimulating activities IN bed. Beds are for sleeping and sex. That means any reading you want to do, any computer use, any games you play - keep them out of your bed. And, if at all possible, keep them out of your bedroom.

I've also been told that if you lay in bed for longer than 20 minutes without falling asleep, you should get up and involve yourself in a quiet activity (meaning not overly taxing on your mind) such as reading or watching T.V. until you feel tired. Then rinse and repeat. Try not to use computers too close to bedtime as there's something in the light that monitors output which affects how we sleep - I think it has something to do with melatonin levels but don't quote me on that because I'm not entirely sure.

And most important of all, going to bed and getting up at the SAME time each day is crucial. There's a give of about 30 minutes to an hour with this, but you need to be doing things at roughly the same times so that your body gets used to the routine.

For your anxiety, are you being treated for it? If not, seeing somebody about it and getting it treated will probably help you relax and prepare for bed. If you're anxious, and your mind is going in circles, obviously you won't be able to sleep.

If you have issues with noise, try ear plugs. It makes the sound of your own breathing ridiculously loud, but all the other sounds are dampened, making it easier. The room you sleep in should be dark and quiet, and a good temperature - being too hot or too cold inhibits sleep.

And finally, if you start following a good sleep routine, your overall health will improve - we metabolise better when we get the right amount of sleep, and it allows our bodies to carry out necessary repairs, and gives our minds a chance to purge all the junk that goes into them - sort of like how restarting a computer clears its RAM so it runs faster and more efficiently.

If, however, you do all the right things sleep-wise, and still can't get to sleep - or are not getting enough sleep - then you need to see a doctor to find out if there's an underlying cause.

Sleep well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ementine Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kaliska Oldenquist

Re: I don't know what to do... - July 20th 2012, 05:24 AM

I don't really have the motivation to change my habits. I rarely ever leave my room. I know I should suck it up and deal with it but my entire life I've had a hard time sleeping.

Mom doesn't have time to take off work to take me to doctors to get medication. any I just have to deal with it. Normally I would just stop sleeping in the summer because I am not at school or work.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
UnicornGurl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ex

Re: I don't know what to do... - July 20th 2012, 05:45 AM

Find a hobby! read, write, search youtube for funny videos! Dont stay up late doing that, though. If YOU feel tired, go to bed. If YOU are bored, Do something ya like!

Closed Thread