TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Seeing a psychiatrsit - July 20th 2012, 09:22 AM

So, it's been a couple of years since I last saw a psychiatrist and I was on a lot of drugs back then, so I don't really remember it all that well. My depression, anxiety and insomnia have recently gotten a lot worse as well as my self harm, so my therapist referred me to a psychiatrist. I have my first appointment (assessment) with him this afternoon. I'm insanely nervous because I'm bad with new people and it's in a building that I've never been to before as well. Basically, what questions are likely to be asked during the assessment? Is it likely that he will change my meds on the first appointment (I desperately need hen to be changed)? Is there anything I can do to reduce my anxiety before I go? I've already driven past the building a couple of times so I know where it is. I don't want to have any alcohol before I go, but that's the only thing that seems to help with my anxiety.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Seeing a psychiatrsit - July 20th 2012, 03:58 PM

Hi Ella,

I am sorry I have only just seen this. I still wanted to reply to you to see how it went? Let us know. I do hope it went well!

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Seeing a psychiatrsit - July 20th 2012, 04:08 PM

thanks for the reply.
He didn't listen to anything I said about my anxiety or insomnia. He asked if my mum "beat" me. He said he would see me again when I stop drinking and when I explained that alcohol is the only thing at the moment that is helping my anxiety he put me on quetiapine, which I've been on before and it didn't help. He also kept me on the same antidepressant, despite the fact that my depression is worse than ever. I don't think I want to see him again. I hope the quetiapine works because I'm due back at work in a week and I can't work when I'm having panic attacks every day and can't even walk into a supermarket without having one. I'm just feeling really dissappointed and upset at the moment.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Seeing a psychiatrsit - July 26th 2012, 03:22 PM

Hey Ella.

Sorry this is a little late. I only just saw the reply.

Firstly, well done for going. I know that it was hard for you but you did it and whether it went well or not, thats something to be proud of yourself for.

Im sorry you feel like he didn't listen to what you were saying. Is the reason to him stopping seeing you for a while just because of the drinking?

He would have put you on those medications for a reason. Try them and stick with them for a while. If they dont have a positive affect on you, this is something that can be looked at again in the future so that you can be put on something different which wil hopefully have a positive affect.

Im sorry you're having regular panic attacks. I can definately relate to how that is feeling? Do you want me to give you some ways to cope with them? If you do let me know, I'll be more than happy to share some ideas with you.

I hope that you're well. Keep smiling,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Seeing a psychiatrsit - July 27th 2012, 09:26 AM

Hey Jessie,
Yeah, he thinks that my depression is caused by my drinking, although the drinking has only recently gotten worse. I've cut back a lot since seeing him and am planning on cutting back more. I'm going to try the meds for a while and see what happens. I can't actually get my meds yet because my GP hasn't received the letter from the psychiatrist yet and they can't give me a prescription without the letter. I'm going to phone them in a bit and see whether it's arrived yet. I really hope I can get them soon because I go back to work tomorrow.
The panic attacks have calmed down a bit in the last few days, I generally just try to breathe through them and use the distress tolerance skills that I've learnt in DBT.

Edit: I've just phoned up the CMHT and the letter hasn't even been typed yet. I am not impressed.

Closed Thread