TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CaughtInMyHead Offline
DayDeaming my Life Away
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nicole

Question Why Does She Think I Need Therapy??? - July 28th 2012, 04:09 AM

A good friend and I are extremely close, so we tell each other almost everything. Well, I told her about some of my problems and she got all concerned and pretty much said I should seek professional help - I was really taken back and almost offended. She goes to therapy and takes medication for depression and anxiety, so maybe that's why she suggested it? I'm not really sure.
(I mean, I have some problems but nothing extreme. I have bad anxiety mostly from social settings, and I'm very unhappy with my life and myself. I think she only suggested it because I told her about wanting to kill myself. I just can't fix anything in my life, I always let myself down and I just can't do it anymore. I'm thinking about dropping out of school, I let everyone down, can't get a job, don't have my license, I'll never get into college, I'm lazy and worthless. The world is better without people like me. I just want to smoke weed or drink all the time. I feel paranoid all the time, like people have personal vendetta's against me or like a stomach ache is really the beginning of me dying. Then I go and day dream about me being better than everyone else when I won't even work towards anything, I'm a horrible person. I always need gradification, motivation, admiration from other people to feel like I'm anything, I can't make my own decisions without consulting a ton of people first. I'm around people for two hours and I want to go home immediately, yet, when I'm alone I'm lonely.) - That's basically what I told her, but there are people with real problems and that's just me complaining.
Any advice? Do you agree with my friend? Anyone else feel this way?

Thanks so much

Nothing easy is worth doing, but easy would be nice every once in while.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Why Does She Think I Need Therapy??? - July 28th 2012, 11:07 AM

Well, I think she is just speaking out of concern for you because she cares and because, yes, that is how she has chosen to deal with those things.

Basically, you're the expert on yourself, so you are ultimately the judge as to whether you need professional help or not. It sounds like you might have a real problem if you are seriously considering suicide, and yes I would say you should consider professional help if that is the case. Some of the other things you mentioned are concerning like wanting alcohol/pot all the time as well. Those are symptoms of some serious disorders.

Just know that you're not worthless- not at all. You just need some compassion for yourself.

Closed Thread