TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Zoloft. - July 28th 2012, 05:54 PM

I honestly had NO idea where to put this... So feel free to move it!

The pyschiatrist started me on a drug called zoloft for anxiety and depression.
I've been reading online that this has a bad tendancy to INCREASE suicidal thoughts, actions, and behaviors, and can also get you "high" if you OD, which I have a feeling I'd be very easily triggered to OD if i did want to commit suicide...
Now, I know searching around on the internet is not good. It'll probably only scare me more... But i did.

So does anyone have experience with this?

Also, I'm not entirely sure it's allowed for me to post this thread because it is very detailed. So if it's against the CoC please take it down.

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

Last edited by Palmolive; July 28th 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Removing prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Zoloft. - July 28th 2012, 06:01 PM

Hi there

Im on this this medication. When I first started it, it made me feel al ittle sick and when my dose was doubled, it made me feel a bit rubbish for a few days with stomach pains but its been managable. (I also tend to have bad reactions to medications). I dont think for me its helped but I also dont feel its had negative affects such as increasing my suicidal thoughts. I think you'll find a lot of anti-depresents and even anti-psychotics have a risk of increasing these thoughts but it doesnt mean its going to happwn to you.

Try them and let them take time to work. If you do get suicidal thoughts, I suggest you contact your doctor to discuss whether its the right medication for you.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Zoloft. - July 28th 2012, 06:06 PM

Most antidepressants have a risk of increasing suicidal thoughts or actions usually in teens and young adults. However, your doctor is very aware of this risk and apparently feels that the possible benefits outweigh the aparent risks.
However, if you have any questions or concerns about your medication it is your job as the patient to bring it up with your doctor, it's their job to go over these things with you and you can both together come to a conclusion about if the benefits outweigh the risks.

I would also like to throw in that ODing rarely results in successful suicide, and is very painful either way. I've done it twice and remembering the pain is enough to keep me from ever trying again. When they make medication for people with a tendancy towards suicide they do keep in mind that people might OD on it, and they do take precautions.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Re: Zoloft. - July 29th 2012, 04:38 PM

I know it's very unlikely that it WILL make things worse, but I've always metabolised medications weirdly, and whatever they are for, they rarely do their job.
I've been on it for two days and feel like crap. Dizzy, nauseous, and stomach pains... Very uncoordinated. I'm trying to just keep going for a few weeks and hopefully that'll go away.

I know it's probably not going to be fatal if I were to OD on it, but I also have other medications that, combined with this, I'm almost certain would.

Does anyone know about the anxiety side of this? I know depression wise it's supposed to help (although I'll admit i'm not holding my breath for that.) but she also said it would help with my anxiety, which is very bad. So should it help, or is there a possibility of it getting worse?

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Zoloft. - July 29th 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymnastxxLeah View Post
I know it's very unlikely that it WILL make things worse, but I've always metabolised medications weirdly, and whatever they are for, they rarely do their job.
I've been on it for two days and feel like crap. Dizzy, nauseous, and stomach pains... Very uncoordinated. I'm trying to just keep going for a few weeks and hopefully that'll go away.
Virtually all anti-depressants you find follow the same rule-of-thumb that it takes roughly 2-3 weeks for you to feel the therapeutic benefits. This isn't to say that the medication is doing nothing in that time, it certainly is, but not enough for it to be felt. The symptoms of dizziness, nausea and stomach pains are common side-effects, which may or may not go away after this 2-3 week period. Keep in mind, this is a rule-of-thumb and it may take you less time or more time, however, if you go over a month without feeling any benefits and without people noticing any beneficial changes, then you need to go back to your doctor as the dosage (which is always low at first) is insufficient.

Generally, doctors are less willing to prescribe anti-depressants to teens because studies have shown there is an increased risk of suicide/suicidal thoughts. Your doctor understands this data and concluded putting you on the medications outweighs the risks.

Quote:
I know it's probably not going to be fatal if I were to OD on it, but I also have other medications that, combined with this, I'm almost certain would.
There are ways to roughly calculate how much of a particular medication it would take for you to OD. This gets thrown on its head when you begin to introduce other medications because the calculations turn into estimations. You can make it more precise but it involves lab analysis of certain metabolic enzymes. Did you tell your doctor of the other medications you are taking?

Since you have been focusing on the possibility of ODing, I'll let you find the calculations if you're determined enough, I never feel as they should be posted on here.

Quote:
Does anyone know about the anxiety side of this? I know depression wise it's supposed to help (although I'll admit i'm not holding my breath for that.) but she also said it would help with my anxiety, which is very bad. So should it help, or is there a possibility of it getting worse?
There is a possibility of your anxiety getting worse, however, there's no way to say whether it's a 5%, 50% or 90% probability. Newer medications try to reduce side-effects but it's quite difficult and can only really be applied to a certain set of medications, which Zoloft isn't part of.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Zoloft. - July 30th 2012, 07:31 PM

I used to be on Zoloft. I had the same problems on it the first couple days. That went away. But after about 2 months on it I did think more about suicide. Then after about 3 months on it, I OD'ed on it. I am still not sure if it was the medication or not. But as others said ANY antidepressant can increase suicidal thought in children and young adults. Try the medication and pay attention to how you feel and tell your doctor if any of the side effects keeps going on. Good luck with this.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
Closed Thread