TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Exclamation Psychotic Depression? - August 21st 2012, 12:36 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Well, I've been quite depressed for about a year.
But it's getting really worse. To a point where I'm hearing voices
I did some research, and considering I don't show other signs of schizophrenia, it could only be psychotic depression. No, I'm not giving myself a diagnosis, I'm just saying it's a possibility.
But as for the voices; It started about a month ago. It was very subtle, but now it's bad.
They say things like people are coming for me, don't eat or drink something because it's poison, some of my closest friends are plotting to kill me, and tell me I'm worthless I need to kill myself I need to harm myself. Just all of these things, usually all day. I try denying them, but they just get angry and start yelling at me until I agree with them.
Another thing, when I seem to slip into a psychotic phase, all I can think about is hurting other people. Like for example, earlier, I kept daydreaming and fantasizing about choking people, and basically killing them.
I don't know what to do about this. It's really freaking me out.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 21st 2012, 01:13 AM

Well, if you think you have any mental health issue, you should probably see a professional. But, keep a daily journal, to track your moods, when you hear things (and if it's triggered), stuff like that. If you have written documentation of the issue, it'll be easier for a professional to know what's going on, and help you the best they can.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 21st 2012, 01:15 AM

I have been keeping a journal, it's almost full and I've barely had it for 2 weeks.
As for seeing a professional, I would, but telling my parents would be one challenge, and then the other would be convincing them to take me to a professional.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 21st 2012, 04:58 AM

Well, either that, or I guess you could try St.John's Wort behind their backs and see if that will help...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 21st 2012, 11:39 PM

I would just like to add that if you do decide to take St.John's Wort and you're on any other medications that you should ask your doctor or pharmacist about any interactions that could happen. While St.John's Wort is a natural herb, it can still cause interactions with things like oral contraceptives, other psychiatric medications, etc..

I would highly suggest that you tell an adult about your thoughts. Things don't usually get better on their own, and there's a chance they could get even worse. Yes it's hard to tell anybody about this sort of thing, trust me I've been there, but you need to find a way to tell someone. You can leave a note for your parents somewhere where they can find it, or you can ask them to make an appointment at your doctor for something else and then tell your doctor then. You could wait until school starts again and then talk to the school nurse or counselor. No matter what you decide to do though, you do need to find a way to tell someone about it.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 22nd 2012, 12:01 AM

I'm not sure what St. John's Wort is, care to fill me in?

But I'm only on one medication, and it's for my thyroid, so I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

Also, I did go to the school counselor, but apparently I had a new schedule, so he gave it to me, and shooed me out. So I didn't even get a chance to tell him why I was even there. It really frustrated me, because it took me a few days to build up the courage to go to the office to do that.
On another note, I'm worried about opening my mouth in fear he might call my parents right then and there, and I don't want to start drama. :c

- Bert McCracken

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 22nd 2012, 12:08 AM

I don't think it would cause drama. I think your parents would be more concerned about helping you feel better than anything else if they were to find out. I think you should try to go back in to see your school counselor, I'm sure he didn't mean to push you out the door like that. He might have been having a rushed day or thought that was the actual reason you came in to see him.
And St.John's Wort is a natural herb that you can buy in a pharmacy without a prescription. It's often used to treat mild to moderate depression or to help the effects of an already prescribed antidepressant (although this should only be done under the careful monitoring of a health professional due to the risk of serotonin syndrome).

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 22nd 2012, 12:08 AM

St.John's Wort is a herbal supplement that has some positive effects on Depression, depending on type of Depression, severity, individual response, etc.

If you go to the website "Drugs.com", you can check if your thyroid medication would interact with St.John's Wort probably, since the page lists various drug interactions, severity, effects, etc. that could be experienced.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 22nd 2012, 12:33 AM

Wait, so do you like..smoke it? o_o

But I guess I could try again sometime this week. If my anxiety doesn't keep me from doing so -_-

- Bert McCracken

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 22nd 2012, 12:41 AM

LOL, no, you don't smoke it. They put it in capsules, actually. You can find it at your local pharmacy, and it's not a prescription drug. Check with the other herbal supplements.

Keep in mind, as Rick said, that some medications can interact, and also that it may not work, depending on how your Depression responds to that kind of treatment.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 22nd 2012, 12:48 AM

Oh, hahaha okay. I was confused. xD
But I checked to see if it had any interactions, and it doesn't.
I don't know, I might not try it. But every time I go to the doctors, they ask what medications I'm on, and I'd have to tell them. So I probably won't do that behind my parent's back. That's not being very trust worthy.

- Bert McCracken

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 24th 2012, 08:40 PM

Hi there.

I don't know a lot about your situation. Yes, you may be struggling with psychotic depression but we can not tell you whether you are or not and it would be best to be referred onto a psychiatrist for an assessment to get a diagnoses which could take a few months. Other things such as sleep deprivation can lead to symptoms of psychosis as well as physical health problems and anxiety. So it might be you have another problem such as insomnia or a phsyical help problem which is just causing psychotic symptoms. In which cause your mine priority should be to treat the underlying problem but it might be your doctor can put on you an anti-psychotic to help with the psychotic symptoms in the short term until you have proper treatment for the underlying problem.

If you're still concerned, I'd suggest you see a medical professional.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#13 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 24th 2012, 09:07 PM

You just mentioned that you wouldn't want to do something behind your parents' back because it wouldn't be trustworthy; however, isn't keeping this information from them also "untrustworthy," in a sense? Don't you think your parents "trust" you to tell them when something is wrong? There could be all kinds of things that are causing you to hear these voices, from severe depression, to psychotic disorders, to substance use/drug interactions/complications, to neurological disorders. I highly recommend you speak to your regular doctor about this and have him/her run a few basic tests to rule out some medical possibilities. After that, if the results are negative or inconclusive, the doctor could refer you to a psychological professional. Your parents may be skeptical/argumentative at first, which isn't uncommon; however, that's why you speak with a doctor and have them discuss the importance of ruling out all medical AND mental health possibilities with your parents. Good luck! =)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
MrDirector Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Daniel

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 29th 2012, 10:38 AM

Im going through the same thing, weird as it is to believe the only difference is hes insisting i hurt myself among other things.

Ive been getting help recently, it wasnt my choice but after a suicide attempt a couple of weeks ago its kind of been forced on me, i only admitted to hearing him for the first time to anyone yesterday, to one of the nurses.

If you can id really reccomend talking to your gp, you really shouldnt go through this alone and apparently medication is VERY effective.

Im still unsure myself, i havnt collected my medication for reasons im not going into but you have to talk to someone, please.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 29th 2012, 11:30 PM

So I was sent to a mental hospital for evaluation. I was diagnosed with depression and psychosis. So I was right, I do have psychotic depression. I feel so much better, you guys. Really. Thank you all for all your inputs n_n

- Bert McCracken

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Jamie Shorrock

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 29th 2012, 11:58 PM

Sounds like paranoia to me. You should get checked out.

<3 Keep On Charging <3

(#17 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Psychotic Depression? - August 30th 2012, 01:06 AM

Since the issue has been resolved, I am closing this thread. Iridescence, feel free to PM me if you would like to have this thread re-opened, or you are welcome to create a new thread. =)

Closed Thread