TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MrDirector Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Daniel

Recommended to enter "Hospital" - August 25th 2012, 10:19 PM

2 weeks ago i took over [X] over a three day period, the last [X] in one go. Why isnt important but lets just say my family life is a mess i flunked out of university and ive been depressed and self harming for 9 years.

I didnt mean to get caught as the pills had made me very ill and after going to the doctors she reckoned i had gastritis.

My aunty and mother then forced their way into my room saying i was too ill to clean it myself and found the many empty boxes from that day that i hadnt yet thrown out.

I was admitted to hospital for 4 days as i was pumped full of the antidote. Afterwards they suggested i check into my local mental hospital. I couldnt make the decision and asked them to let my mother decide and she was firmly against it so i returned home.

Ive been talking to the "crisis team" since and not seeing the point in lying to them ive disclosed that i dont regret trying to kill myself, that ive constantly been having suicidal thoughts since and that im reluctant to emerge from my depressed state as since i was about 12 and it feels like its part of me and i really dread to think of how id be without it. (i know it confuses me too)

Anyway all of this makes me think it wont be long until the choice of admitting myselfis taken away

I need to know what the hell its like and what the experiances anyone might have had because im not going to lie, im terrified.

Last edited by Palmolive; August 27th 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Overdose amounts not allowed on teenhelp

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Recommended to enter "Hospital" - August 25th 2012, 11:10 PM

I've been in the hospital a few times and it's not bad really. People are friendly (even the other patients for the most part), the food is decent, you're not forced to do anything you don't feel comfortable doing.
You talk to a doctor every day, you have a nurse to talk to, you go to group therapies, there's games to play, movies to watch.

Really, other than taking medication and it being a hospital I've always thought that being in the hospital was like being at an all inclusive resort (minus the alcohol lol).

Is there anything specific you wanted to know about?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Recommended to enter "Hospital" - August 26th 2012, 12:40 AM

Hey there,

I think that entering into a psychiatric hospital might be a good idea. It sounds as if you are really struggling and a hospital could help with that. I know that entering into a hospital sounds scary but they might be able to help you get to a better place so that you do not feel this way. I know that I once felt the way that you did in regards to feeling like depression is a part of me. However, I want you to know that it doesn't have to continue being like that and a hospital might help with that.

I too have been in a hospital and I don't think it is as scary as it is made out to be. It can be kind of hard being away from home but it can kind of be a relief because you are put in this environment where all you have to deal with is the issues at hand and the 'outside' problems are not so overwhelming.

Most hospitals will have strict schedule that you will have to abide by. You will have to talk to doctors and nurses and there will probably be some type of group therapy. The people there are usually pretty nice and will want to support you in getting to a better place. They will also probably have visiting hours so that your mom and other family member or friends will be able to visit you.

I really hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to pm me. Remember that you can and will make it through all of this!

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MrDirector Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Daniel

August 26th 2012, 10:32 AM

Thank you for the replies, i knew i could count on people here, i used to have another account years ago, helping people on here even a little bit was like a therapy.

Your answers were really helpful and to answer your question fayth i really just needed to know what day to day life was like, a typical day from getting up to going to sleep, what a typical facility is like.

The only point of reference i really have is from hollywood, the likes of one flew over the cuckoos nest or girl interupted, and these are archaic examples from the 60s/70s.

I really just dont know what to expect going in there and knowing would really ease my anxiety.

Any other experiances or just recounting of a normal day would be appreciated, im in england but im sure facilities will be very similar.

Last edited by PSY; August 30th 2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Recommended to enter "Hospital" - August 27th 2012, 12:12 AM

Hi there.

I live in England and I've been in a psychiatric unit three time now. The first time for 2 months, the second for four days and the 3rd time for four months. All for anxiety, severe self harming and suicide attempts. Honestly, its scary when you first go. I mean, new staff members, new patients to get used to, a new environment to live and sleep in, different food, different place, different rules, different routines, different smells and so on and it is terrifying but you have to put it all aside and think about what is best for YOUR health.

They have times to get up and different times to go to bed depending on your age ( I was in a child and adolescent unit). Meal times. Morning, afternoon and evening activities which were things like walks, gym, board games, gardening, relaxation, movie nights etc. When there wasn't many other people on the unit, sometimes we'd get to go out and even a trip down to tescos was brilliant when you hadn't been allowed leave for weeks and hadn't been off the unit. You might get to see a psychologist, appointments with psychiatrists, nurses, occupational therapists, art therapists and so on and it might all really help you. We'd have MBT meeting every Tuesday and your treatment would be discussed as well as your progress and whether you were allowed on 'weekend' leave.

I know that its scary but you need to do what is best for YOU because at the end of the day, this is about getting you the help and support you need to help improve your mental health.

You can do this.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Recommended to enter "Hospital" - August 27th 2012, 02:30 AM

I've been in the hospital quite a few times for my bipolar disorder. Usually I would be admitted when depressed (a few times for being manic but I usually get discharged right away those times because I figure out how to manipulate the system a bit).
The average day for me would be waking up before everyone else, making myself toast and watching TV until other people started to wake up. Either that or I would sleep in until a nurse would wake me up and tell me I should go interact with other people instead of staying in bed all day long.
I would then either talk with the schizophrenics until lunch (if you can get past the lack of logic they actually make great friends usually). Since I don't eat lunch I would go lay in my bed while other people ate (to avoid the nurse trying to make me eat).
After lunch was more TV or talking, or I would use my pass and walk around the hospital for a bit. Occasionally I would run across the street to 7-11 and buy a real drink or some real food
Then dinner, I would go to my room again because I have severe anxiety dealing with eating around people (hence why I eat breakfast before people wake up).
More talking, more TV. Then bed.

And of course mixed in there was talking with the doctors, nurses, therapists, social workers, and taking my medications. I've never gone to any of the group therapies so I don't know what those are like.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Recommended to enter "Hospital" - August 27th 2012, 04:45 AM

I've only been in and adult mental health unit . . . although admittedly I've traversed the wards there.

I got sectioned most of the times I've been there, and very simply, if you have the choice to go informally, take it. It's better, because then you negotiate things like leave. Whereas if you're sectioned, they can put you in a locked unit and leave you there until they think you're safe or whatever.

It's not actually a bad place. If you're unwell, it can be incredibly helpful, because you're surrounded by people who want to help and want to work for you and what's best for you. The nurses are generally friendly. In my area, we get MDT meetings once a week, or sometimes the registrar will see you if everyone thinks you need to be seen.

As Rick said, the schizophrenics are pretty good for conversation, so long as they're well enough to actually have a conversation.

The locked ward (where I've been most) has quite a strict routine, breakfast is between 7:30 and 8:30, medications are at the same time every day, you know exactly what to expect. The open wards are more relaxed about things like that, so instead of having stuff at exactly the right time, you have it around about the same time. Like for example, on the open ward, evening medication gets dosed out anywhere between 8:00pm and 9:30pm, and most patients come and take it willingly. On the closed ward, evening medication is ALWAYS at 9pm and they come and find you.

But yeah, if you choose to go informally, generally your stay will be shorter, and it will be easier to get leave. Which is really nice, because aside from the OT activities, hospital is pretty darn boring.

Closed Thread