TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Unhappy I want to be happy without having it chemically induced. - September 1st 2012, 05:37 PM

Where is the old Cassie? The one who was really happy, where the fuck did she go? I'm on Zoloft. I took it for the first time about an hour ago. I don't have the ability to be happy without there stupid pills, who the hell am I then? I want to be happy without it being chemically induced. It's like this thing, this demon took over me and it stole everything. What is happiness anyway? Some may say it's an emotion. But to me, it's something I will never have. I am trying so hard to get through each day. I know I'm not alone, but it really feels like it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: I want to be happy without having it chemically induced. - September 1st 2012, 05:53 PM

Medication doesn't induce happiness. Mental illnesses like depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc., are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. If you have depression antidepressants make it so you can be happy, but they won't force you to be. They just help make your neurochemistry a bit closer to that of the general population.
It's like having diabetes and needing insulin, or asthma and needing an inhaler.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Zayn1992 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zayn

Re: I want to be happy without having it chemically induced. - September 5th 2012, 12:02 PM

No sweetie your not alone I wish I had some advice but all I can tell you is that I have major depression and I do not take pills because I don't just want to be "happy" or normal, I want to get BETTER mentally...and pills that simply alter my brain chemistry certainly aren't going to help me. I'm currently trying a lot of natural and herbal remedies to help..like they say about 15 mins of vigorous exercise in the morning helps, and it does help enough for me to function. I like to jump rope. Also change in diet helps too. Don't eat a lot of meat and eat salad These things seem so simple but they really do make a difference. I also let myself be sad when I'm sad, I don't try to hide from it. If you have to cry, then cry. stay strong !

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I want to be happy without having it chemically induced. - September 6th 2012, 01:24 AM

Like Rick said, anti-depressants aren't "happy pills." You're not a "monster" who can't experience happiness unless you take Zoloft. Moderate to severe depression often has a biological/chemical component, which means that therapy alone won't necessarily do the trick.

Here's a metaphor I like to use. Imagine that you're floating in a sea of unhappiness, and you are getting tired of swimming and beginning to panic. Now imagine that someone has thrown you a life jacket, and you put it on. At first, you may be glad to have something that will keep you afloat, but after a while, you may feel angry that you can't do it on your own. What's important to recognize is that you won't need that life jacket forever. Eventually, you'll be able to take it off and swim to shore without it - you're just using the life jacket for a while so you can recover your strength and clearly visualize your goal (getting back to shore, and to safety).

Many people take anti-depressants when they first begin therapy in order to be "stabilized," just as a life jacket would stabilize you. After they regain their strength and learn how to swim, though (in your case, learn coping techniques for dealing with depression), they don't need the life jacket (in your case, anti-depressants) anymore. You may not need to take anti-depressants for the rest of your life - so don't start assuming the worst after taking Zoloft on the first day! Give it time, keep working in therapy, and hopefully, you'll start to see results within a matter of weeks or months. You can always be re-evaluated at another time to see if your dosage can be reduced and/or eliminated. =)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
milannn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Milan

Re: I want to be happy without having it chemically induced. - September 9th 2012, 10:01 PM

Like the people before me have said, antidepressants are not designed to make you happy, they're made to help the chemical in balances in your brain. You really aren't a monster, and I know that it seems that you may never find happiness, but you will. Have you considered that maybe Zoloft isn't a right fit for you? There are many antidepressants out there, and if you feel that Zoloft isn't right for you, maybe you should express your concerns to your doctor. One of my best friends suffers from depression, and she's had to try a couple different types of medication, before she found the right fit. Everyone's different, and sometimes it takes more than one try to get the right medication. I know this may not be the answer you'd like, but if you ever want to talk about it more, feel free to message me <3

Closed Thread