TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sarcastic-Bones Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kerry

Question Seeing GP tomorrow - freaking out! - September 13th 2012, 08:37 PM

I made an appointment 2 weeks ago to talk to my GP about my mental health (depression, SH, my ED, etc) but now that it's finally come around, I'm freaking out. It's tomorrow morning, and I haven't told anybody (my family would not be helpful/understanding and I'd rather seek advice from my doctor then tell them after I have a "battle plan" sorted, so to speak). I'm kind of obsessing over what to say though: will the doctor be supportive, how should I approach what to say and in what order?

I have written a list of things to talk about, but I don't want to start blabbering and make them think I'm a hypochondriac. At the end of the day, I know that I need help, and I'm not making these issues up, but I'm worried I'll approach this in the wrong way and they'll fail to help.

What if that happens? Do I just go back to the destructive life I'm living? I can't do that. I really can't.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to approach the doctor. Where should I start? Should I briefly explain the issues that I want to talk about, then ask for a counsellor? Or should I go into detail?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help you can offer. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Seeing GP tomorrow - freaking out! - September 13th 2012, 09:11 PM

Kerry, It will be okay. When this happened to me I was freaking out too and I couldn't tell my mom either, but once I actually got it out it wasn't that bad. My doctor just wanted to throw meds at me, but she's always kind of been like that and it doesn't mean that yours will react like that.

How you go about bringing it up is entirely up to you. He or she is there to help you and will be supportive and listen to what you're saying. I can guarentee you aren't the first person to bring these issues to them and they will have an idea about what to do. They aren't going to think you're a hypochondriac.

As for the second part about how to approach it, bring up the issue and see where the doctor goes with it, he or she will want and probably need to know more, but let them ask you the questions that way it won't feel like you're blabbering on and more like you're telling them what they need to know. I know this is nerve-wracking, but you can do it. Good luck

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Seeing GP tomorrow - freaking out! - September 13th 2012, 09:25 PM

Hi there.

Firstly, I think it's great you've decided to take the step to get help and talk to your GP. I know that that can be really hard and scary but I also know it has a chance of helping you a lot. Secondly, I think it's great you've come to us here and I hope we can manage to help you in one way or another.

I've seen GPs who have been useless. I've had a few who have helped me too though and my current GP has been seeing me pretty much either weekly or fortnightly (apart from when I was in hospital) for nearly two years now. And its not in, have ten minutes and out. Sometimes he'll spend a good half hour with me. And honestly? No one, out of all the mental health professionals I have seen, has helped me as much as he has.

When I first saw him I wrote it all down and gave him the paper. Have you thought about doing that? I know sometimes when we're in that moment of having to open up to someone we can become scared and kind of shut down and hide away or sometimes we can easily lose all the words and forget our trails of thoughts. So maybe writing them a letter, with everything down, will be more beneficial of your ones of those people? If not, they talking is good too. Its about what helps you best.

My main piece of advice? Be honest. Don't sugar it up. Say how you feel it is. Tell them how you feel and what you are struggling with and ask for help. Your GP will have seen it all before, it won't come as a shock and they are there to help you, ok? And they can help you most if you're honest and open and let them in.

And if it doesn't help? Try again. Whether that's with the same doctor or another one at your surgery. Keep trying. Sometimes its a battle but you'll get there. Don't have going back to your 'destructive life' as an option. The only option should be positive and a way forward for you.

If you need to talk, we're always here. I hope your appointment goes well. Be sure to update us! :-)

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sarcastic-Bones Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Seeing GP tomorrow - freaking out! - September 14th 2012, 01:03 AM

Thank you both so so so much. You've really calmed my nerves. If I start to stress tomorrow I'll try to remember your advice. I know I obsess ridiculously over unknown situations, and I can work myself into a panic, so thank you for taking the time to answer me. I'll be sure to update you how it goes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sarcastic-Bones Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Seeing GP tomorrow - freaking out! - September 14th 2012, 11:56 AM

Hello again Kate and Jessie. Everything went okay, as you said. I feel much better now that I'm starting to make changes. Thank you both for your kind words and advice.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Seeing GP tomorrow - freaking out! - September 14th 2012, 05:27 PM

Hi again

I'm glad that it went well and that you're feeling a lot better about it all. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now since the problem has been resolved but feel free to shoot me a PM if you want it re-opening or know that you're always more than welcome to create a new thread.

Keep your chin up :-)
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread